• Welcome to PASOTI (Sponsored by GA Solictors and Lang & Potter)
  • Hello guests - don't forget that by registering and signing up for Pasoti you'll see less adverts plus receive extras like free match tickets, taking part in polls, joining in the chat room and more. Come and join us!

Keir Starmer

Aug 3, 2008
Plymouth
Is it just me or does he lack gravitas due to him to appear just reading a script at PMs questions. I know Boris is doing the same but doesn't constantly look down to see what his next line is.

Nov 15, 2011
Actually when you think charisma is "the ability to attract the attention and admiration of others, and to be seen as a leader" and you look at Starmer and Johnson's personal ratings, it would appear the public think Starmer has a lot more charisma than Johnson!

Sep 6, 2006
You're saying that charisma isn't an important quality in a leader? Are you some sort of leadership expert? I think not.
(insult removed by Admin) like you think it is. Trump is supposed to have it. Cant say I noticed. I prefer substance over style.

Oct 17, 2008
Essex
As a leader of a political party either in Government or trying to get into Government, of course you need charisma.
You don't need charisma to get things done at home but the higher up the line you go and the more people you need to keep on board, the more charisma you need. It is not the charisma versus (lying, smirking bumbling crooked coward) it is that a leader needs charisma and integrity and a support base that follows the same rules as they set for everyone else, oh, and intelligence and no doubt a lot of good fortune.
Boris has the charisma bit but appears to lack the rest, whereas Keir lacks the charisma and we don't really know if he has the rest ...

Nov 15, 2011
I don't think Johnson had any genuine charisma because integrity is implicit therein. Anyone can smile and joke and promise sunlit uplands based on lies but if that's all it is, just lies, then to me that's not charisma, it's popular and populist but basically just lies.

Otherwise real charisma, being admired as a person and a leader is important to get elected in the first place, but once elected is next to irrelevant, particularly during a pandemic when all people really crave is truth, integrity, clarity and leadership.

Now whether Starmer has enough charisma to get elected, we shall see , he's far enough ahead to get a majority at the moment and the longer Johnson stays put, the bigger the lead will get. And who, that could take over on the tory side has that charisma?

Rishi maybe but I think his politics and economic realities about to hit the country will do for him. In fact I wouldn't be surprised if he says he's not interested at the moment, he's concentrating on his day job. He might just be smart enough to see his best chance is to take over in a couple of years time.

I guess where you have two parties going head to head and equal in the polls, then clearly the leader with the more interesting or appealing personality which resonates with voters will have an edge. However look at arguably the three post-war PMs with the least charisma, Attlee, Wilson and Major. In each case they were voted in following a period of turbulence where the electorate simply wanted a period of calm competence. Starmer fits the bill perfectly, and I’m not a labour voter.

Reactions: Mike E and Biggs
Oct 17, 2008
Essex
I don't think Johnson had any genuine charisma because integrity is implicit therein. Anyone can smile and joke and promise sunlit uplands based on lies but if that's all it is, just lies, then to me that's not charisma, it's popular and populist but basically just lies.

Otherwise real charisma, being admired as a person and a leader is important to get elected in the first place, but once elected is next to irrelevant, particularly during a pandemic when all people really crave is truth, integrity, clarity and leadership.
Not sure about that. Isn't charisma a thing in its own right and has no association with integrity. You can have charisma and lack integrity. Charisma and lying also have no association with each other. The thing about charisma, is that it also has other names ... the X factor, startdust, a touch of magic ... There is no such thing as real charisma ... just as there is no such thing as unreal charisma. Charisma is charisma and like a fishing net, it catches some people but not others. The more charismatic you are, the more people may be caught and quite often, when charisma fades, the true person stands out more. Boris has certainly got charisma and, in my opinion, it is fading and the real Boris is now more evident.

Reactions: Pilgrim Joe
Nov 15, 2011
Not sure about that. Isn't charisma a thing in its own right and has no association with integrity. You can have charisma and lack integrity. Charisma and lying also have no association with each other. The thing about charisma, is that it also has other names ... the X factor, startdust, a touch of magic ... There is no such thing as real charisma ... just as there is no such thing as unreal charisma. Charisma is charisma and like a fishing net, it catches some people but not others. The more charismatic you are, the more people may be caught and quite often, when charisma fades, the true person stands out more. Boris has certainly got charisma and, in my opinion, it is fading and the real Boris is now more evident.
Yes I suppose so, it's the idea that charisma is a quality or a virtue when with Johnson its just a lie

Oct 17, 2008
Essex
Yes I suppose so, it's the idea that charisma is a quality or a virtue when with Johnson its just a lie
Yeah, I get that. I think charisma is like wearing a uniform or make up or even just a clever bit of natural marketing ... it covers up the true self. I expect Boris's charisma has faded somewhat and what we have left is ... the true Boris ...

Reactions: mightykeithfear