John Sheridan | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

John Sheridan

up the line

🚑 Steve Hooper
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 7, 2010
Manchester
Turned an Argyle side that was destined for non league into a playoff team in the space of 2 seasons with a hopelessly small budget.
Got the best out of Reuben Reid.
Gave us a good 3-0, 1-3 double over Exeter. Gave us some other drubbings of teams (inc. Portsmouth).
Probably went at the right time.
Certainly not my least favourite manager by a long stretch.

up the line

🚑 Steve Hooper
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 7, 2010
Manchester
He doesn’t get enough respect for what he did here. He took over when we were at our lowest ebb, about to crash out of the football league, he kept us up against the odds, and left us after a play off finish. He put us back on our feet.
Agree.
Having thought about my statement that he probably went at the wrong time I'm now inclined to believe he would have probably got us up with one more season at the helm as opposed to the additional 2 seasons it took.

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
Agree.
Having thought about my statement that he probably went at the wrong time I'm now inclined to believe he would have probably got us up with one more season at the helm as opposed to the additional 2 seasons it took.

The trouble is I don’t think he wanted to be here towards the end. From what I’ve heard his commitment started to wane and he spent less time in Plymouth. I think it was best for both parties that he left when he did.

If he tried harder to connect with the fans and to buy into Plymouth, I think he’d be remembered far more fondly, because from a footballing point of view, he did a very good job. I also don’t think people understood his dry sense of humour, he got called ‘dour’ a lot, but I met him a few times and he was actually full of jokes and seemed 10x more upbeat than he ever was in the media.

Reactions: Bernie Bernbaum

up the line

🚑 Steve Hooper
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 7, 2010
Manchester
The trouble is I don’t think he wanted to be here towards the end. From what I’ve heard his commitment started to wane and he spent less time in Plymouth. I think it was best for both parties that he left when he did.

If he tried harder to connect with the fans and to buy into Plymouth, I think he’d be remembered far more fondly, because from a footballing point of view, he did a very good job. I also don’t think people understood his dry sense of humour, he got called ‘dour’ a lot, but I met him a few times and he was actually full of jokes and seemed 10x more upbeat than he ever was in the media.
This is what I understand to be the case with his off field persona too.
He may have been dour in front of the cameras but he was anything but a bs artist.

mutley marvel

Cream First
✅ Evergreen
Feb 13, 2021
He was not everyone's cup of tea but he kept us in the Football League when we were in a extremely perilous position- he has a strong enough character to deal with Oldham's rather unpopular Chairman - good luck to him hopefully he can organise the players so that Oldham avoid the trapdoor into the National League

Oct 10, 2012
I’m not arsed if he didn’t try to engage with the fans. We had that Lowe and he was full of absolute tripe from day one.
I prefer managers for what they produce on the field and Sheridan certainly done a good job in sorting us out.

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
I’m not arsed if he didn’t try to engage with the fans. We had that Lowe and he was full of absolute tripe from day one.
I prefer managers for what they produce on the field and Sheridan certainly done a good job in sorting us out.

I think it does help, in terms of creating a good atmosphere/environment, and certainly for in times of adversity as the fans will be slower to turn on you. Sheridan & Lowe were two extremes, Sheridan didn’t do it anywhere near enough, Lowe far too much, I’d say Adams struck a good balance during his first two seasons.