John Barnes banned as a company director | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

John Barnes banned as a company director

Jon with no H

🚑 Steve Hooper
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 6, 2023
Bolton
yes I'm sure you're right. But it just seems really odd that he paid not corporation tax or VAT whatsoever despite submitting returns. VAT is quarterly so they'll know very quickly if you're not paying it. Late payment penalties start very quickly and start escalating quickly - I'm struggling to see how he was left for 2 years to be submitting VAT returns, not paying anything and he's not being done for VAT fraud
The returns were apparently saying how much they should have paid. The ideal defence would have been quoting Homer Simpson, "Everything looks bad if you remember it!"

Bernie Bernbaum

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Pasoti Quiz Champions
Jade Berrow 23/24
May 29, 2015
No I, m not critical of the system in place to retrieve outstanding taxes, I, m critical of the individuals who appear to think that tax doesn't appear to apply to them. We need tax to provide for those who are in need, be they old, young, sick or unable to support themselves for whatever reason amongst a lot of other things. And unfortunately, a lot of people, who really should know better, choose to obstruct and evade.
I hope you don't buy anything from Jeff Bezos' Amazon then.

Frank Butcher

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Oct 9, 2003
Gairloch
"Them",is basically rich people who use every conceivable avenue to avoid their obligations. Re, Gary Lineker, Lorraine Kelly Gary Barlow, Rishi Sunaks wife, etc, etc. Most of us are taxed at source and pay every penny that we owe. Others don't, simple as.

Firstly, you need to distinguish between tax avoidance and tax evasion. What is legal and what is not.

Then, an interesting comparison is:

John Barnes not paying £200k of tax (if, as you say, that’s what’s reported);
Or, say 200000 people every year paying trades, cleaners etc. ‘cash in hand’.

Is it OK for ‘ordinary folk’ to break the rules? Cos’ they do…

Sep 28, 2022
I hope you don't buy anything from Jeff Bezos' Amazon then.
I can honestly say I have never bought anything on Amazon. I, m old school in that anything I need I pop in to a shop in town. None of this on line banking for me either , I, ll be the last customer being dragged out of the bank as the last branch is closing as well!!.

Sep 28, 2022
Firstly, you need to distinguish between tax avoidance and tax evasion. What is legal and what is not.

Then, an interesting comparison is:

John Barnes not paying £200k of tax (if, as you say, that’s what’s reported);
Or, say 200000 people every year paying trades, cleaners etc. ‘cash in hand’.

Is it OK for ‘ordinary folk’ to break the rules? Cos’ they do…
That is a very good point and a justified point. One that I accept. But it always seems that those who earn the most, obviously use all tax rules to their "fullest extent" to exploit. And don't forget they also pay cash to avoid further taxes,its not just the PAYE brigade. Granted the tax rules in this country are in place to assist those with the most to pay the least. Come the revolution!!.

Aug 3, 2013
Coningsby
Rich people can afford very expensive accountants who inow how to move money around to avoid paying what they should. Simple as that.
My wife ran a restaurant in South Wales many years ago and her accountant was very good at explaining what she could claim as a business expense and what she could claim back. 🤷 It was mindbogglingly to us......

Sep 28, 2022
Rich people can afford very expensive accountants who inow how to move money around to avoid paying what they should. Simple as that.
My wife ran a restaurant in South Wales many years ago and her accountant was very good at explaining what she could claim as a business expense and what she could claim back. 🤷 It was mindbogglingly to us......
Exactly my point. The tax system in this country needs to be addressed by the incoming Labour government as a priority to ensure fairness accross the board. They could recoup billions of pounds for other causes. Let's wait and see if they do or are they as "self serving" to their financial backers as the current incumbents. Time will tell and to be honest I am not too hopeful.

Aug 3, 2013
Coningsby
Exactly my point. The tax system in this country needs to be addressed by the incoming Labour government as a priority to ensure fairness accross the board. They could recoup billions of pounds for other causes. Let's wait and see if they do or are they as "self serving" to their financial backers as the current incumbents. Time will tell and to be honest I am not too hopeful.
Labour will get into power but it wont change anything sadly. Ive given up voting now.

Reason 1. I have yet to see any candidate or their manifesto around my area.

Reason 2, The law make it way to difficult to change things and introduce new legislation and laws.

Nothing will change IMO

Reactions: Sun Stonehouse