Joe Mason - Sell on %? | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Joe Mason - Sell on %?

Apr 20, 2011
Tetbury
I'm sure this must have been covered elsewhere at some point but I've missed it; do we have a sell-on agreement with Cardiff with Joe? I saw this morning that he has signed a new deal but if the likes of Sunderland came calling a small windfall would obviously be very useful.

Apr 20, 2011
Tetbury
xmastree":dowk6wbj said:
Highly unlikely. We had very little negotiating position at the time of his sale.

I thought as much - the only reasoning behind it was that we did get something for Jack Stephens (unless I have got that wrong too...).

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
The recent P&A Final Report stated there was a sell-on clause for Jack Stephens but no mention of a sell-on clause for Mason, only his transfer fee was stated. So it's a no from me.

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
It pains me to say it but it evident that he was held back in his development at argyle.

He's playing with confidence and getting goals on a regular basis do something is working well with Cardiff.

He's going to be a good player and he may well be in the top flight with or without Cardiff in the next 2 years.

bodspafc

🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
Aug 8, 2005
Bristol
Tugboat":1l8utf35 said:
It pains me to say it but it evident that he was held back in his development at argyle.

He's playing with confidence and getting goals on a regular basis do something is working well with Cardiff.

He's going to be a good player and he may well be in the top flight with or without Cardiff in the next 2 years.

I agree that he will be in the top division soon but I don't agree that we held back his development. He got a lot of game time and experience due to the state of the club which has given him confidence and if anything, we were the springboard for him. Just wish we had a bleddy sell-on clause.

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
bodspafc":2wusq8uq said:
Tugboat":2wusq8uq said:

I agree that he will be in the top division soon but I don't agree that we held back his development. He got a lot of game time and experience due to the state of the club which has given him confidence and if anything, we were the springboard for him. Just wish we had a bleddy sell-on clause.

I'm not convinced joe would be as good as he is having stayed at argyle. I think our setup and coaching ability isn't anywhere near the quality it is at Cardiff.

Spring board maybe and one things for sure, our plight will prove to be the making of a very good player in the future having moved to Cardiff when he did.

May 1, 2011
Mariner knew Joe was a quality player (fox in the box)

Shame if we didn't get a sell on price or funds for number of appearances .

Even in a difficult time i believe a number of clubs were interested, he turned down Swindon. This would have provided the opportunity to negotiate a quality deal.

Hope we learn for the future.

Aug 22, 2006
Pathetic fee that we got rid of him for. Those who think otherwise are either:
a) friends of his
b) fans of cardiff
c) not educated with regards to soccer
d) the agent (that apparently we needed to offload players)

Yes of course there should have been a sell on fee but if the original fee was absolute rubbish then there's no chance that they would have sorted out something else as a favour. The funny thing is it's Cardiff a team that have bought players and stuck them on silly wages...

Apr 15, 2004
East Devon
It hurts - really hurts to see what we blew away because of the appalling circumstance we were in. Anyone who has ever played or knows the game could see he had a real talent - and he was OURS! I know it's the nature of the game that such gems are snapped up but we should have had the pleasure of a few seasons and a handsome fee but like others ...............Oh F***ing Hell why dwell on it? May we never be in such a mess again. Good luck to you Joe :sad:

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
Joe Mason was one the sacrifices the club had to make, similar to Victor Moses at Crystal Palace during their administration

BG's negotiating with Wigan Athletic was disappointing seeing as the club had turned down offers of £5 million and then the administrator sold for half that.

BUT..... the Moses sale, with the two and a half million paid up front kept the Palace going through that period of administration. Moses could have done better if he had been able to hold out but I believe that he took the move for the benefit of Crystal Palace and not Victor Moses. Hence his reluctance to sign a new contract with them now.

Palace chairman Steve Parish tweeted this week that Brenda DID negotiate a sell on clause with Wigan dispite the sale being a desperate one. If Brenda could do it then, why couldn't he have done the same with Mason?

All very nice for Palace but if Moses sees out his Wigan contract and moves on a free, that sell on clause is worth bugger all anyway.

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
Moses will move at the end of the season for 8+ million so think palace may well do alright!!