Jephcott called up for Wales U21 | Page 8 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Jephcott called up for Wales U21

Oct 5, 2013
I dont see any similarities between Evans and Jephcott. The ball used to stick to Evans when played up to him and he would be able to retain possession, it's not the same with Jephcott. In this area, its very hit and miss with Jephcott.

Also, Evans could leap and head a ball whereas Jephcott can barely get off the ground and only heads it if its played directly to his head. Evans used to attack the ball and try to get something on it, Jephcott will do nothing of the sort e.g. the goal for Wales U21 yesterday.

Finally, Evans did have a bit of pace albeit just over a short distance. Jephcott is so one paced its amazing that he's playing up front. There were a few times last season where he was outpaced by defenders when he had a yard or two on them. I remember a couple of times when he found himself with a clear run at goal but was some way out. He tried to take the ball on but eventually had to take a long range shot because he could hear he was being closed down. If Hardie had been in that position he would have been able to take it on and face up the keeper much like he did at Salford a few seasons back.

The only similarities I can see between the two of them is that they both have two arms/legs/ears eyes etc and can kick a ball.
Your analysis of Jephcott’s play possibly indicates a lack of appreciation of the full range of what he brings to the team, in my opinion.
You only appear to mention his deficiencies, do you see any of his qualities and assets as a player?

Reactions: JannerinCardiff

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
Could Jephcott be moulded into out back to goal target man ala Barry Hayles?

He’s strong and built for it.

Jul 27, 2011
St Austell
Jephcott is a great player in and around the 18 yard box but offers very little else imo. We certainly haven’t played to bud strengths this season yet he has still managed a half-decent goals tally. Not sure what to do about him really.

Sep 2, 2008
Your analysis of Jephcott’s play possibly indicates a lack of appreciation of the full range of what he brings to the team, in my opinion.
You only appear to mention his deficiencies, do you see any of his qualities and assets as a player?
Got a feeling of deja vu here Phil.

Didn't I ask you the very same question not long back? From memory, you came up with a couple of qualities that I think most people would expect from any footballer let alone a professional.

As you've asked :unsure: I have noticed that not many defenders can get around and in front of him when the ball is being played up to him. I do wonder though if that is because of all the timber he's carrying or if the defenders know that he isn't going to turn and face them up so let him receive the ball anyway. Or maybe they think that his first touch is going to be poor and one of their retreating players will pick up the loose ball anyway.

Sep 2, 2008
Could Jephcott be moulded into out back to goal target man ala Barry Hayles?

He’s strong and built for it.
You'd think that when you consider his size but it always astounds me how easily he gets bundled over. Maybe, some of those, what I think are very slight touches in his back from defenders must actually be quite firm.

Tuggers, he really doesn't have the touch or strength to play that role imo. Even though Hayles was small, he was as tough as old boots and solid and defenders couldn't push him off the ball. Jeffers in comparison is like a wet sponge.

Reactions: Tugboat
Oct 5, 2013
Got a feeling of deja vu here Phil.

Didn't I ask you the very same question not long back? From memory, you came up with a couple of qualities that I think most people would expect from any footballer let alone a professional.

As you've asked :unsure: I have noticed that not many defenders can get around and in front of him when the ball is being played up to him. I do wonder though if that is because of all the timber he's carrying or if the defenders know that he isn't going to turn and face them up so let him receive the ball anyway. Or maybe they think that his first touch is going to be poor and one of their retreating players will pick up the loose ball anyway.
You gave one example, and then immediately turned it into a criticism.

What I had replied was:
“Very good at passing interplays, often involved at an early stage in beautiful passing movements leading to goals. Great constructive vision around the box. Often in the right place to knock the ball in. Great work rate. Intelligent player generally. Personally I’ve always seen him long-term as playing just behind the front where he can best use his strengths, and still get forward at the right time.”
That’s five positive qualities I see in his play.

Can you try any harder to see some more of his positive qualities, and without immediately nullifying your own comment with criticism?

Sep 2, 2008
You gave one example, and then immediately turned it into a criticism.

What I had replied was:
“Very good at passing interplays, often involved at an early stage in beautiful passing movements leading to goals. Great constructive vision around the box. Often in the right place to knock the ball in. Great work rate. Intelligent player generally. Personally I’ve always seen him long-term as playing just behind the front where he can best use his strengths, and still get forward at the right time.”
That’s five positive qualities I see in his play.

Can you try any harder to see some more of his positive qualities, and without immediately nullifying your own comment with criticism?
I've heard that he's a decent lad...umm...sorry Phil, thats the best I can do😞