January shopping list?

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
Hopefully no players depart but based on the current squad I think we should sign 3 players during the January transfer window - either on loan or permanent.

1. A tall powerful striker just to give the team some variation, especially late in a game as a sub when we can play long balls. Lowe has mentioned he doesn't play that way although he signed Frank Nouble last season so the intent to use a tall striker was there before.

2. Another centre-back due to the injury to Brendan Galloway, even though James Bolton should be back soon.

3. Another Joe Edwards - someone to push Edwards for his place at right wing-back but who can also play in midfield and has a track record of scoring from midfield.

Who are your choices?

Reactions: Emu

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
A taller, stronger striker.

Not necessarily a lump of a target man, but someone who can challenge a bit more in the air and grapple with defenders, particularly for when we're chasing games and needing something a tad different.

Reactions: Emu and Deacster
Mar 21, 2010
Plymouth
Perhaps another move for Ellis Harrison , not a tall target man , but an experienced , stronger more aggressive type of forward .

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
Quality over quantity, easier said than done i know.

The ‘different’ style CF is a must.

I’d also like to see randle go out on loan and have another option centrally available to us.

Versatile CB.

I wouldn’t be surprised if we see G Cooper go out on loan to get minutes for fitness

Aug 17, 2005
I thought James Bolton used to play at right wing back for Portsmouth and was meant to be competition for Joe Edwards

Yes on transfer market he is down as a right back

mutley marvel

Cream First
✅ Evergreen
Feb 13, 2021
Will RL try & get that elusive Striker- the balance of the team is the most important thing- he will not get players in just for the sake of it
I am more concerned as to who we could lose & whether we will be able to get like for like replacements
With Brendans injury & no timescale RL may need to look for a replacement as from what has been written today i dont think we will see him again this season

Sep 6, 2006
Hopefully no players depart but based on the current squad I think we should sign 3 players during the January transfer window - either on loan or permanent.

1. A tall powerful striker just to give the team some variation, especially late in a game as a sub when we can play long balls. Lowe has mentioned he doesn't play that way although he signed Frank Nouble last season so the intent to use a tall striker was there before.

2. Another centre-back due to the injury to Brendan Galloway, even though James Bolton should be back soon.

3. Another Joe Edwards - someone to push Edwards for his place at right wing-back but who can also play in midfield and has a track record of scoring from midfield.

Who are your choices?
Funnily enough Nouble came up in the London branch discussion about target man type strikers. His response was it was decided such a player was needed to help consolidate first season back but we have moved on. I don't agree and I think Tuesday showed it.

Mar 22, 2020
Very impressed with Scott Quigley from his performance in the televised game for Stockport County. Two good feet, skillful, surprisingly quick, 2 goal man of the match performance vs league one defence, 6ft 5. Ticks a lot of boxes for me. Triggeresque + pace, yes please.

Reactions: MWG and Emu

Koala Green

🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺
✅ Evergreen
Mar 17, 2012
I agree with most suggestions. In order to be challenging to go up we need to find a way to score goals when teams stop us playing our free flowing football. We need to score ugly goals from long throws, second balls , long balls into target man for flick ons etc.

This might only be applicable to 10 games this season but getting an extra 10 points from those games could be the difference between a top 10 finish and play offs/ promotion.
We need to bulk up physically to compete at the top of the table against these more streetwise teams who also have large squads. Also agree it would be good to add 3 players to squad so Law, Randell, Shirley, Tomlinson, Jenkins Davies can all go and get 10 to 20 games proper football experience on loan at league 2, conference level.

Last edited:

Dorset Green

✅ Evergreen
Feb 8, 2009
Bridport
Yes a physical and mobile striker and cover for back three. I'm not sure about loans out apart from Jenkins-Davies who I think needs experience and maybe Tomlinson also.

Nov 2, 2004
Seems odd to keep suggesting we need to sign a Micky Evans type striker when Lowe has clearly stated he doesn’t want one. If Ennis has properly recovered, I doubt that we need a striker at all. Another centre back and possibly a left wing back. Lowe clearly has no trust in Law so find him a loan. The main priority is keeping what we have.

Jul 12, 2021
i think we need a goal scoring midfield player to ease the burden on the strikers and a right wing back to push edwards even though garrick could play there