Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🚑 Steve Hooper
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
May 12, 2008
Plymouth
Jun 27, 2019
Great stuff. Though it's a bit weird that they wrote an entire article about a blue plaque without stating what it says on it, or including a close-up photo.

Daz

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
Pasoti Quiz Champions
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 30, 2003
Very good this. I was chuffed last night in the GT bar when my 10 year old was explaining to his sister what happened to Jack Leslie. Great that he was taught about it at school.

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
Very good this. I was chuffed last night in the GT bar when my 10 year old was explaining to his sister what happened to Jack Leslie. Great that he was taught about it at school.
Did the school give the full story? Did they mention that Billy Walker who had captained England in their previous match, had been injured and not played for Aston Villa in the weeks leading up to the international fixture. Records show that Walker did play in Jack Leslie's position for England against Ireland. Sadly for Jack, England didn't have another fixture for 5 months which gave the England selectors plenty of time to understand exactly who Jack Leslie was and not select him again. It's not as dramatic as the story being suggested, that he was called up and then sent home when they saw the colour of his face but like many historical incidents, the facts become altered to make the story more sexy.

Reactions: djg145

Daz

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
Pasoti Quiz Champions
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 30, 2003
Did the school give the full story? Did they mention that Billy Walker who had captained England in their previous match, had been injured and not played for Aston Villa in the weeks leading up to the international fixture. Records show that Walker did play in Jack Leslie's position for England against Ireland. Sadly for Jack, England didn't have another fixture for 5 months which gave the England selectors plenty of time to understand exactly who Jack Leslie was and not select him again. It's not as dramatic as the story being suggested, that he was called up and then sent home when they saw the colour of his face but like many historical incidents, the facts become altered to make the story more sexy.
The school taught my son that you don’t discriminate against someone because they are black.

Not sure about the finer details as I wasn’t there, but reiterating the story to his sister was heart warming and the point was well made.

Adam

Pasoti Designer
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 5, 2010
Love it!

Reactions: Daz

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
Says it all doesn't it?
Too many are being given the impression that he was called up on the Monday and dropped when they saw his face on the Friday which isn't correct. The committee had months to consider his reselection by which time nobody remembered except Jack of course but by which time it was easy for the FA to let everyone assume it was a form thing.

Jun 27, 2019
Am I right in thinking that the first black rugby player to play for England was playing for Plymouth at the time?

It's such a shame Jack Leslie didn't get to pull on the Three Lions for so many reasons, not least because a rugby/football double would have been one hell of a claim to fame for the city of Plymouth.

Ray Stidwell

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jam First
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 20, 2003
Penn, near High Wycombe
Yes indeed, although not a Janner, but born in Salford, Jimmy Peters moved from Blackheath RFC & Bristol RFC to Plymouth Albion RFC in 1902 & made his England debut in March 1907.

Reactions: WoodsyGreen

Ottawa Green

Site Admin
Staff member
🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Cream First
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 18, 2003
Ottawa, Canada

Jack Leslie and Argyle mentioned in BBC2 Only Connect tonight Monday 29 November 2021

Dec 3, 2005
Well said Lundan Cabbie. People seem to just jump on the bandwagon nowadays.
Jack Leslie played for a top THIRD DIVISION SOUTH side, for some reason he was selected to the England Squad for the game against Ireland. The thought of England selecting a player from the 3rd Division and not sending anyone down to watch him play, I can't believe that happened.
As Lundon Cabbie mentioned Billy Walker, he was a prolific goal scorer for FIRST DIVISION Aston Villa, he replaced Jack Leslie - maybe Billy Walker recovered from injury.
So a prolific goal scorer for a FIRST Division club replaced a player of a top 3rd Division side to play for England.
That seems to be quite a reasonable thing to do, dosen't it?

Last edited:
Reactions: meetoo