• Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Incoming. Matt Butcher signs

Dreamgreen

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
May 28, 2004
Salisbury, Wiltshire
I assume Houghton is suspended for one game at the start of next season so Matt will most probably start the first match.

Sep 2, 2008
One of the things that was mentioned by Dewsnip l believe on signing him was he will bring much need physicality to the team. ( edited to say it was Schumacher not Dewsnip. Below is the quote).

“Matt is a very technically gifted footballer who has also got physical attributes that we are needing to strengthen our midfield.

Butcher mentioned about his goal scoring and that he is looking to score more. He sounded to me from his interview he is very much here to play in midfield. I am wondering if he is ear marked for Mayor’s position.

Or maybe Argyle might invert the current formation to a 3-4-1-2 and allowing for a more free role behind the forward pair. Perfect for Mayor to have less defensive responsibilities.
I think it may be for Camara's position. Schuey seems to like the No.8's coming inside.

I notice that Mayor was coming inside a lot more toward the end of the season and having a dig. Camara couldn't really do that because his left leg is actually just for standing on. Butcher being left footed gives that position a whole new dimension.

The Doctor

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 15, 2003
Plymouth
andapoet.blog
This is an interesting signing. Towards the end of last season I became somewhat obsessed (as is my way) with looking at Expected Goals and Expected Assists statistics. There was one team that stood out to me as having much better Expected Goals stats than their actual accrued points suggested and my interpretation of this was that that team must have been very good at creating excellent chances but less good at converting them into goals and/or protecting their own goal. It occurred to me at the time that we should probably be looking at who was playing in the midfield for that team because the stats suggested (to me) that there would be one or more players there who were better than their team's overall performances suggested. That team was Accrington Stanley...

Sep 6, 2006
This is an interesting signing. Towards the end of last season I became somewhat obsessed (as is my way) with looking at Expected Goals and Expected Assists statistics. There was one team that stood out to me as having much better Expected Goals stats than their actual accrued points suggested and my interpretation of this was that that team must have been very good at creating excellent chances but less good at converting them into goals and/or protecting their own goal. It occurred to me at the time that we should probably be looking at who was playing in the midfield for that team because the stats suggested (to me) that there would be one or more players there who were better than their team's overall performances suggested. That team was Accrington Stanley...
So are you suggesting midfield players are not expected to 'convert'?

MGM

✨Pasoti Donor✨
Dec 7, 2021

If Accrington played anything like they did against us at HP you can see why they created chances.

They pressed very high. Squeezed up the pitch.

But their high line was a suicidal game plan that day, as their back line was slow.

tonsk

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🚑 Steve Hooper
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 19, 2003
Plymouth
www.dastardlys.co.uk
One of the things that was mentioned by Dewsnip l believe on signing him was he will bring much need physicality to the team. ( edited to say it was Schumacher not Dewsnip. Below is the quote).

“Matt is a very technically gifted footballer who has also got physical attributes that we are needing to strengthen our midfield.

Butcher mentioned about his goal scoring and that he is looking to score more. He sounded to me from his interview he is very much here to play in midfield. I am wondering if he is ear marked for Mayor’s position.

Or maybe Argyle might invert the current formation to a 3-4-1-2 and allowing for a more free role behind the forward pair. Perfect for Mayor to have less defensive responsibilities.
Here to beef it up a bit then...
Is he any good at running the flanks?

tonsk

The Doctor

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 15, 2003
Plymouth
andapoet.blog
So are you suggesting midfield players are not expected to 'convert'?
No, they do get some chances to convert, but MOST (good) chances in games fall to strikers but are generated from midfield play. So my way of thinking about this is that if a team has a high EXPECTED Goals stat but actually scores less goals (like Accrington did) this implies that they are creating plenty of good chances for the strikers but that these are not being converted at the expected rate. And to me that implies that there are players in the midfield that are doing particularly good jobs the fruits of which are not being fully realised. I just found it interesting that having thought this to myself a couple of months ago our first signing is a midfield player from Accrington.

Nov 18, 2011
Very good point. At times last season it felt like the only way we would create a chance was through Mayor or a lucky punt upfield for Hardie to run onto. If Butcher is able to pick out a smart pass and create some more chances for our two forwards that would be great.

Sep 6, 2006
Very good point. At times last season it felt like the only way we would create a chance was through Mayor or a lucky punt upfield for Hardie to run onto. If Butcher is able to pick out a smart pass and create some more chances for our two forwards that would be great.
Is he a creative midfielder or more defensive? Seems some confusion

If he’s a defensive midfield option then I worry for Randell. This should be his breakthrough season you would hope and now he has to compete with two other strong options. Maybe if Camara leaves we could see Randell in that position?

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
I think Randell could competitively compete for a CM position. He needs to build up his body strength but he certainly has the composure and technical ability to play in the middle.

He’s my player to watch for for next season. I think he’s the next money maker after Cooper.

Reactions: JannerinCardiff
Feb 8, 2005
Is he a creative midfielder or more defensive? Seems some confusion
Do you not read news items, Balham.

He has said that he is a versatile midfielder, having played in different position in different formations.

From what he has said it seems that Shuey may play him more forward than he has been playing and he believes that is where the manager wants him to play, and he says he can still improve on his attacking intent.