Incoming. Matt Butcher signs | Page 4 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Incoming. Matt Butcher signs

Nov 18, 2011
One of the things that was mentioned by Dewsnip l believe on signing him was he will bring much need physicality to the team.

He mentioned about his goal scoring and that he is looking to score more. He sounded to me from his interview he is very much here to play in midfield. I am wondering if he is ear marked for Mayor’s position.

Or maybe Argyle might invert the current formation to a 3-4-1-2 and allowing for a more free role behind the forward pair. Perfect for Mayor to have less defensive responsibilities.
I think the expectation is still that Camara will be leaving and that Butcher will take his place.

MGM

✨Pasoti Donor✨
Dec 7, 2021
I think the expectation is still that Camara will be leaving and that Butcher will take his place.

l agree.

l just think we needed someone to add with Camara. If Camara leaves we need an energetic replacement for him too. As fantastic as Camara was hunting down the opposition he needs help.

You think about it logically. You got Mayor, Houghton and Camara in a 3 man midfield at times last season. Two of those are not your energetic ball winning type of midfielders. Your asking one player to do all the Donkey work. Thats unfair to me.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ipplepen green

Koala Green

🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺
✅ Evergreen
Mar 17, 2012
Just watched the interview. Comes across as a genuinely level headed nice bloke. I think the fact he is tall, left footed , a good age at 25 years old, energetic (his words) and capable of playing a few positions makes this a spot on transfer to add a new dimension to the team and fits our model of developing players with potential. I also saw that Ipswich were rumoured after him a year ago plus other clubs. Well done to the recruitment team in this signing.

Welcome Matt to the Green Army!

mutley marvel

Cream First
✅ Evergreen
Feb 13, 2021
Listening to his interview he certainly came across as a very well rounded, head totally screwed on individual- what i found very interesting was how he described his relationship with our Assistant Manager - maybe this made is decision to sign for us a lot easier

I am looking forward to seeing what he will bring to the team come the start of the new season (y)

Penlee

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🍌 Bomber Harris.
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Nov 9, 2011
Stoke in Plymouth
One of the things that was mentioned by Dewsnip l believe on signing him was he will bring much need physicality to the team. ( edited to say it was Schumacher not Dewsnip. Below is the quote).

“Matt is a very technically gifted footballer who has also got physical attributes that we are needing to strengthen our midfield.

Butcher mentioned about his goal scoring and that he is looking to score more. He sounded to me from his interview he is very much here to play in midfield. I am wondering if he is ear marked for Mayor’s position.

Or maybe Argyle might invert the current formation to a 3-4-1-2 and allowing for a more free role behind the forward pair. Perfect for Mayor to have less defensive responsibilities.
As my daughter said "he is from Accrington so sure to be a unit".

Penlee

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🍌 Bomber Harris.
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Nov 9, 2011
Stoke in Plymouth
Listening to his interview he certainly came across as a very well rounded, head totally screwed on individual- what i found very interesting was how he described his relationship with our Assistant Manager - maybe this made is decision to sign for us a lot easier

I am looking forward to seeing what he will bring to the team come the start of the new season (y)
He does come across really well

Jun 27, 2019
Surely he's just a permanent replacement for Ryan Broom? (with the added bonus that he can play at CB too).

We can't sign Camara's replacement yet because a) we don't know if he's leaving and b) we don't know how much we'll have to spend if he does.

Last edited:
Sep 6, 2006
Looks a solid signing. In more ways than one. Hopefully beef up the midfield a bit. Not sure about the comment 'eye for goal'. 4 goals last season. Another Midfielder who doesn't score goals?

Graham Clark

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
🚑 Steve Hooper
Nov 18, 2018
Matt Butcher will certainly add to the physicality of the team - Schuey has said as much. However, what some may have overlooked is that next season offers the opportunity for five substitutions (albeit on three separate occasions plus half time). That will offer the greater opportunity for mid-game technical adjustment and will require a squad of greater depth and versatility. So I don't see him as a replacement for anyone but a welcome addition to the ranks.

As a result of the new substitution rule I think Argyle are far less likely to adhere to an inflexible 3-5-2. Schuey has shown last season that mid-game tactical changes can be achieved moving to a variety of 3-1-4-2 / 3-4-1-2 or even a 3-4-3 which is a system that some Premiership teams have morphed into. Ultimately, though if we are to improve on last season it isn't just a case of tactical flexibility but one of greater physicality and energy that a 16-man game will now demand. Matt Butcher would appear to be a step in the right direction.

Feb 13, 2021
Matt Butcher will certainly add to the physicality of the team - Schuey has said as much. However, what some may have overlooked is that next season offers the opportunity for five substitutions (albeit on three separate occasions plus half time). That will offer the greater opportunity for mid-game technical adjustment and will require a squad of greater depth and versatility. So I don't see him as a replacement for anyone but a welcome addition to the ranks.

As a result of the new substitution rule I think Argyle are far less likely to adhere to an inflexible 3-5-2. Schuey has shown last season that mid-game tactical changes can be achieved moving to a variety of 3-1-4-2 / 3-4-1-2 or even a 3-4-3 which is a system that some Premiership teams have morphed into. Ultimately, though if we are to improve on last season it isn't just a case of tactical flexibility but one of greater physicality and energy that a 16-man game will now demand. Matt Butcher would appear to be a step in the right direction.
👍👍👍

Jun 24, 2008
Graham Clark has hit the nail on the head.

Looking forward to seeing Butcher play as Accrington have been a decent ball playing team in recent times, good luck to him.