Idiot supporters (Smokebombgate) | Page 5 | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Idiot supporters (Smokebombgate)

Sep 6, 2006
Not necessarily idiotic but selfish was the usual behaviour of many standing up. I can still stand for 90 mins but realise am blocking those behind. But if I sit I dont see the game. Great shame for those who can't. And the stewards did nothing to enforce it.

Screen Corner

🇭🇰🇭🇰🇭🇰🇭🇰🇭🇰🇭🇰
Dec 11, 2016
Balham, London.
Let's take a step back.

Someone threw a smoke bomb on the pitch meaning for a few minutes green smoke was exhaled. This didn't hurt anyone and in fact looks pretty cool and adds to the atmosphere.

By the sounds of it, most supporters on pasoti (not an accurate representation of our fan base) would prefer we all sat in silence.

Get a grip.

Zoo

Ponty

English and proud of it
Staff member
R.I.P
Sep 27, 2006
Plymouth
Let's take a step back.

Someone threw a smoke bomb on the pitch meaning for a few minutes green smoke was exhaled. This didn't hurt anyone and in fact looks pretty cool and adds to the atmosphere.

By the sounds of it, most supporters on pasoti (not an accurate representation of our fan base) would prefer we all sat in silence.

Get a grip.

Zoo
"It didn't hurt anybody"

It easily could have though, it was hot enough to burn a hole in the pitch so imagine if it hit you in the head?

Also a possible fine for the Club, so seeing as you endorse this action perhaps you could start a fund raiser to pay the fine and kick it off with a hundred pound donation?

Thought not...

metroace

♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
Sep 8, 2011
Glenholt
Let's take a step back.

Get a grip.

Zoo
It didn't hurt anyone THIS TIME. It could cause problems for anyone who has breathing difficulties already. If the person throwing it got jostled at the point of throwing, it could end up in amongst other fans potentially causing injury or damage to clothing. It DID cause damage to the pitch. Having the flare in a ground is an offence, throwing the flare is an offence, causing criminal damage is an offence.

I don't think anyone is advocating a whole ground sat in respectful silence. I think what is generally being asked is that fans respect their fellow fans and, if some cannot stand, to do your best to accommodate the fans who cannot stand.

I do wish that grounds would sell standing and sitting sections but the law as it is will not allow that as we are not supposed to stand.

I love the atmosphere generated by a boisterous, noisy, jumping fan base, but I choose not to be amongst it if I can possibly avoid it. Both sets of fans need to consider the other. One size does not fit all.

up the line

🚑 Steve Hooper
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 7, 2010
Manchester
I've been to lots of European games and I've only seen flares on a couple of occasions.
Although some posters say it 'adds to the atmosphere' I'm really not sure how?!
I tend to think the word atmosphere relates to noise, rather than some smoke that obliterates the view of the pitch.
Does the smoke help lift our players somehow? I mean maybe if it causes eye irritation to the oppo goalkeeper?

Reactions: GreenThing
Jan 29, 2020
Look at the quotes from the players "Fantastic support" - J Houghton, "Support was unreal" - D Scarr, "Fans were immense" - R Broom.

Yes, you've got to be a bit of a noob to take a smoke grenade into a ground these days, but take a way the pre games pints, the smoke bombs, the standing you wouldn't be getting these quotes from players. They all add and contribute to the atmosphere. There was a whole section of empty seats people with an obscured view could have moved into.

GreenThing

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 13, 2003
Plymouth
Look at the quotes from the players "Fantastic support" - J Houghton, "Support was unreal" - D Scarr, "Fans were immense" - R Broom.

Yes, you've got to be a bit of a noob to take a smoke grenade into a ground these days, but take a way the pre games pints, the smoke bombs, the standing you wouldn't be getting these quotes from players. They all add and contribute to the atmosphere. There was a whole section of empty seats people with an obscured view could have moved into.
Do you think that without the smoke bomb, the players would have thought the support was poor?

• Eye-Roll
Reactions: Pilgrim Dan

bigalf

R.I.P
Dec 13, 2005
Keyham
Not necessarily idiotic but selfish was the usual behaviour of many standing up. I can still stand for 90 mins but realise am blocking those behind. But if I sit I dont see the game. Great shame for those who can't. And the stewards did nothing to enforce it.
Totally agree. As somebody who has a prosthetic leg and crumbling discs standing is not something I like to do and on occasions I am physically unable to do . As you say on Saturday I had no choice and I am suffering now. At least I could stand, unlike the gent on the powered wheelchair who had fans constantly jumping from their seats Into the gangway area in front of him. I know it happens on occasions (Peterborough and Shrewsbury were fine) and it’s the risk you take but still not enjoyable.

Jan 29, 2020
Do you think that without the smoke bomb, the players would have thought the support was poor?
Well done for singling out part of my post.

Its a contributory factor to generating an atmosphere. Not something I would do, but if someone else wants to do it, run the risk of a fine / ban/ arrest I'm not going to get all fuddy duddy about it like some. I said it's a noob thing to do, but I can't deny it adds to an atmosphere. Much prefer ticker tape and bog rolls but the yoof have moved on from that it seems

GreenThing

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 13, 2003
Plymouth
Well done for singling out part of my post.

Its a contributory factor to generating an atmosphere. Not something I would do, but if someone else wants to do it, run the risk of a fine / ban/ arrest I'm not going to get all fuddy duddy about it like some. I said it's a noob thing to do, but I can't deny it adds to an atmosphere. Much prefer ticker tape and bog rolls but the yoof have moved on from that it seems
I mentioned the smoke bomb because that is the subject of the thread.

D

Deleted member 9145

It does need a solution. On Saturday 2 guys behind me almost came to blows as one of them's small daughter couldn't see a thing cos the other guy was stood up. He, of course said he wouldn't see anything if he didn't stand up. There weren't any other spare seats around us they could see.

If getting people to sit is unenforceable maybe a bit of creative thinking could be used eg advise that the first 6 or 7 rows are sold to people unable or not wishing to stand.

Reactions: Lesmin

GreenThing

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 13, 2003
Plymouth
If it wasn’t for the fans that get lambasted on here after every away game, vocally the support would be poor.
I’m not against vocal support. Are you suggesting that if the idiot didn’t take a flare into the ground, the vocal support would diminish?