Idiot supporters (Smokebombgate) | Page 13 | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Idiot supporters (Smokebombgate)

up the line

šŸš‘ Steve Hooper
šŸŒŸSparksy MuralšŸŒŸ
Mar 7, 2010
Manchester
You can say people are overreacting but I think youngsters who aren't aware should know the following (from FSA website):

Possession of a smoke grenade or flare in any public place is a criminal offence. Hence a fan who is under the age of 18 and who has a smoke bomb in their pocket as they walk through town or on the train on the way to a match is committing an offence. This places some youths in a very difficult position.

They go on to say...

The starting point for a court considering the sentence for someone who has attempted to enter a stadium with pyro is three months in prison. In many cases it is very difficult to persuade the courts to come down from this three month figure.

So, if when you're encouraging younger fans to bring smoke bombs, regardless of how safe you feel they are, just be aware that that 30 seconds of coloured smoke could leave a long lasting stain on their own lives.

And, whilst you correctly say smoke bombs are not flares, you are incorrect to imply they are harmless...as this report confirms where a Leicester supporter was badly affected by a smoke bomb:

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2011
Iā€™m not encouraging anything. There is nothing you, I, their parents, mates can do or say if someone is going to buy one, take one in to the ground they are going to do it. On their head be it
Kids / teens also know the dangers of underage drinking, drug taking many still do it, you learn the hard way

Daz

Administrator
Staff member
āœ… Evergreen
Pasoti Quiz Champions
āœØPasoti DonorāœØ
Sep 30, 2003
I genuinely donā€™t understand the argument that it helps build the atmosphere.

I mentioned it up above, but Iā€™ll say it again. If the lads want to embrace ā€˜fan cultureā€™ and create an intimidating atmosphere or even just a decent atmosphere they need to spend their time creating new songs. Songs for players, songs about Argyle and Plymouth etc etc.

Thatā€™s what fans of big clubs do. Itā€™s literally all some of them do. Go and watch Liverpool, West Ham or Man Utd play. They all have their own songs for their own players and team that give them a sense of pride and unity.

The problem with us janners is that things are often mocked and people give up. The Forza (whatever it was) was a good idea in principle to create an atmosphere, but even that was unoriginal with the graphics and name trying to copy European teams.

We of course do have some songs, but I canā€™t remember any new ones recently. Letā€™s get creative.

up the line

šŸš‘ Steve Hooper
šŸŒŸSparksy MuralšŸŒŸ
Mar 7, 2010
Manchester
Iā€™m not encouraging anything. There is nothing you, I, their parents, mates can do or say if someone is going to buy one, take one in to the ground they are going to do it. On their head be it
Kids / teens also know the dangers of underage drinking, drug taking many still do it, you learn the hard way
There's nothing anyone can do?
Apart from maybe have a word with them if they know they're planning on carrying a smoke grenade around in public, because a lot of them will be totally unaware of the potential 3 month prison sentence.

I mean even you said 'its against ground regs' but didn't mention that, actually, it's illegal to even be carrying a smoke bomb around so I don't know if you were aware of that.

I'm not getting into the argument as to whether they are harmful or not (there's enough evidence to say that they are if used in close proximity to people, especially those with preexisting respiratory issues for that to be a non argument).
I'm not debating whether they improve an atmosphere. I've been to enough feisty European fixtures to potentially be called a hypocrite on this.
I'm just saying, whilst it's against the law, if I saw a younger fan was thinking about bringing a smoke bomb or similar into the ground, I'd probably ask them if they knew about the possible custodial sentence, the indelible criminal record and ask them if they really thought it was worth it.

If you don't like the law ref smoke bombs and other pyrotechnics in public spaces, I'd suggest you take it up at higher levels than pasoti and lay out your evidence as to why it's wrong.

Reactions: GreenThing
Aug 4, 2011
Think youā€™re looking for someone to throw your anger at but youā€™re pointing it in the wrong direction.

I have no idea who the perpetrator(s) are / were so wonā€™t be having a word with anyone. All Iā€™m saying is, if someone wants to run the gauntlet of bringing one in and letting it off thatā€™s up to them. Itā€™s not going to spoil my day and if it helps them think theyā€™ve added to the atmosphere in some small way.
Maybe you should take it upon yourself to hunt them down next time and educate them? Rather than quoting various sections of criminal law on a message board that they have probably never heard of if it riles you that much.

Daz

Administrator
Staff member
āœ… Evergreen
Pasoti Quiz Champions
āœØPasoti DonorāœØ
Sep 30, 2003
Think youā€™re looking for someone to throw your anger at but youā€™re pointing it in the wrong direction.

I have no idea who the perpetrator(s) are / were so wonā€™t be having a word with anyone. All Iā€™m saying is, if someone wants to run the gauntlet of bringing one in and letting it off thatā€™s up to them. Itā€™s not going to spoil my day and if it helps them think theyā€™ve added to the atmosphere in some small way.
Maybe you should take it upon yourself to hunt them down next time and educate them? Rather than quoting various sections of criminal law on a message board that they have probably never heard of if it riles you that much.
Heā€™s trying to help and educate people. Love your attitude to it though. Nothing to do with me, so Iā€™ll carry on as normal. šŸ‘

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
āœ… Evergreen
šŸŽ« S.T. Donor šŸŽ«
āœØPasoti DonorāœØ
šŸŒŸSparksy MuralšŸŒŸ
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
I genuinely donā€™t understand the argument that it helps build the atmosphere.

I mentioned it up above, but Iā€™ll say it again. If the lads want to embrace ā€˜fan cultureā€™ and create an intimidating atmosphere or even just a decent atmosphere they need to spend their time creating new songs. Songs for players, songs about Argyle and Plymouth etc etc.

Thatā€™s what fans of big clubs do. Itā€™s literally all some of them do. Go and watch Liverpool, West Ham or Man Utd play. They all have their own songs for their own players and team that give them a sense of pride and unity.

The problem with us janners is that things are often mocked and people give up. The Forza (whatever it was) was a good idea in principle to create an atmosphere, but even that was unoriginal with the graphics and name trying to copy European teams.

We of course do have some songs, but I canā€™t remember any new ones recently. Letā€™s get creative.

Totally agree with that. I'm no fan of United, but their away support is outstanding and the songs are brilliant.

The smoke bombs are all very 'MLS'. Trying to imitate another sporting culture when you could concentrate on building on the unique one we have already.

Would it ā€˜spoil your dayā€™ if the problem persisted and Argyle received a points deduction?

• Eye-Roll
Reactions: Pilgrim Dan

up the line

šŸš‘ Steve Hooper
šŸŒŸSparksy MuralšŸŒŸ
Mar 7, 2010
Manchester

Anger šŸ˜‚

I didn't mean literally 'have a word' with the exact Wimbledon individual...I obviously meant hypothetically, if you/I/or anyone saw a young person with a smoke bomb, wouldn't it be better to say 'are you aware you could get nicked, banned and a record all for a puff of 'Paul Daniels' Saturday night magic smoke? Think about it sunshine'.

PS. Might not spoil your day, wouldn't spoil mine either, but, just playing advocate here, what would you say to a father taking an asthmatic kid to their first game? Do you think it's fair that they should have to consider whether someone might set off a smoke grenade near them? Or would you tell them to stay at home?

Aug 4, 2011
Here come the usual cyber hunters looking to create extreme scenarios and a portion blame on anyone not willing to condemn this as the worst thing since the Heyse.
If you check back I posted a song suggestion that was being sung on the tube - there you go, thatā€™s my contribution to the atmosphere. Where is yours?
Iā€™ve never once held, purchased, set off a smoke bomb or flare and have no intention of doing so.
It is absolutely f all to do with me if a lad / lads / group of lads want to do that and run the risk of 3 months in prison.
Like I said, if it bothers you that much form your own vigilante action group. You could have pre printed letters stating all the laws that are being broken and hand them out to any potential perpetrators. Far more reasonable than a life time ban.

Sep 6, 2006
It's almost been a week since this happened, do you honestly care about a patch of grass on Wimbledons pitch? Judging by your username you live in London - One of the best cities in the world, get out and enjoy it.
Missed the point probably not for the first time. The point IS it was claimed the thing is completely harmless. If it was able to damage the pitch it obviously is not harmless and could harm others. Have to explain everything on here.

Aug 4, 2011
PS. Might not spoil your day, wouldn't spoil mine either, but, just playing advocate here, what would you say to a father taking an asthmatic kid to their first game? Do you think it's fair that they should have to consider whether someone might set off a smoke grenade near them? Or would you tell them to stay at home?
I am a father with an asthmatic daughter. I really canā€™t be bothered to argue, as there really isnā€™t anything to gain by having to and fro with individuals with too much time on their hands and clearly very little else of concern in their lives.

up the line

šŸš‘ Steve Hooper
šŸŒŸSparksy MuralšŸŒŸ
Mar 7, 2010
Manchester
I am a father with an asthmatic daughter. I really canā€™t be bothered to argue, as there really isnā€™t anything to gain by having to and fro with individuals with too much time on their hands and clearly very little else of concern in their lives.
No worries.

Go and enjoy whatever posting on this thread was keeping you away from

Reactions: Green 1886