• Welcome to PASOTI (Sponsored by GA Solictors and Lang & Potter)
  • Hello guests - don't forget that by registering and signing up for Pasoti you'll see less adverts plus receive extras like free match tickets, taking part in polls, joining in the chat room and more. Come and join us!

I think Labour has got it wrong

Oct 11, 2014
For Labour to win a Majority in the Commons again, they will need to turn those Scottish seats from Yellow to Red. That is half the battle. The old red wall seats will barely give them a minority Government. If the Scott's can't get independence, then Scottish Labour need to sell to the voters that the only way to avoid another Tory Government, is to vote Labour.

Oct 11, 2014
Its a question of degree, the minimum wage which the Tories fought against is a brilliant thing and is too low. However £15ph is almost £30k pa and is totally ridiculous and economically unsustainable.
Indeed. Inflation will just go through the roof, and despite the pay rise, will be no better off. Many others will be worse off, and will push those on benefits even deeper in the mire.

Frank Butcher

Foodbank Donor
Oct 9, 2003
Gairloch
Reportedly Starmer is going to distance himself from the Momentum crew in his speech today. No names mentioned but it will be clear who he’s talking about. One leaked quote is ‘we will never again go into an election on a manifesto that can’t be delivered’. Or words to that effect.

It may upset one person on here, but good for him if he does - we will see. Not sure if it would be too late to build the required trust for the next GE, but it would be a good start and be a show of strength (which he badly needs).

Nov 15, 2011
"Keir Starmer has said that Labour MP Rosie Duffield was wrong to say that only women have a cervix." This is the leader of the opposition, the man (possibly with a cervix) who wants to run the country, the man with a forensic intellect.

And he wants my vote.

Sorry.
Yeah thats a real vote decider, forget the lies , corruption and incompetence of the Government, empty shelves, petrol chaos and families having to decide between heating and eating, debating who has or hasn't got a cervix will set the country's course for decades to come

Reactions: Argyle sy

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
Lowey Sponsor
NHS Volunteer Supporter
Pasoti Donor
NHS Cake Donor
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
He's doing well in his speech, in my opinion.

Far-left nutjobs heckling him while talking about his mum, play into his hands and show them for the nasty barstewards they are (y)

Reactions: Quinny
Jul 15, 2006
Kenton, Devon
"Keir Starmer has said that Labour MP Rosie Duffield was wrong to say that only women have a cervix." This is the leader of the opposition, the man (possibly with a cervix) who wants to run the country, the man with a forensic intellect.

And he wants my vote.

Sorry.

As if he was ever in the running for your vote.

You - like many others - fail to understand the difference between sex and gender.

Jan 20, 2004
His little gag that Boris Johnson's dad was a slightly different toolmaker to his own went down well.

Dec 27, 2004
Bidford on Avon
All the hubris about Starmer is a non-event really as all parties have different factions.

The far-left for all their bluster are slowly wilting on the vine.

Even amongst Conservatives there's dissatisfaction with Boris who's been referred to as Cobalt Corbyn in the Tory press for his NI increase and is clearly driven by the ERG or whatever catchy acronym that faction driving policy are known by now.

This was printed in the DM, a staunchly Conservative paper yesterday 😱

Screenshot_20210928-203755_Opera.jpg

I'm not sure Starmer is the answer, but Boris is looking nervously over his shoulder at Sunak for sure

Apr 15, 2004
East Devon
But mkf if you get Blair 2 you have in effect a Tory government. What's the point of that?
But that’s not true BG.

I accept Blair was a massive disappointment to many of us the way he disappeared up his own rear-end with all his ‘cool-Brittania’ stuff ……..and the way we became the unquestioning American cheer-leader for a disastrous war on the flimsiest of ‘evidence’ ….and he seemed to think he had carved out a unique role for himself and the UK as the transatlantic ‘bridge’ between the US and Europe (which was nonsense and we ended up with little respect from either side).

BUT ……. Labour delivered some seriously worthwhile policies particularly in their first term. They introduced the minimum wage that lifted huge numbers out of poverty & grossly exploitative jobs in the face of massive Tory opposition where even moderates like Ken Clarke were predicting dire consequences and massive job loses if we ever tried such a radical thing. They created the ‘Low pay commission’ – an independent body to advise on the national living wage & minimum wage, making it harder for future governments to ignore. Can you imagine the Tories doing that?

There was the ‘new deal’ and ‘sure start’ schemes for the young guaranteeing jobs or training and this was all funded by a wind-fall tax on the newly privatised utilities. Pretty radical stuff – again when the Tories were predicting economic carnage.

They did invest huge sums into hospitals and schools that made a genuine tangible difference. My local small village Primary school (about 90 kids) that previously had been making-do with porta-cabins for over 20 years received a £1.5 million new building just in time for my own kids to enjoy. Hospital waiting lists and medical appointment times fell to record low levels – in fact they over-did this as it became a distorting target. But try getting a doctor’s appointment today and it seems like a golden era.

Gordon Brown set about changing the tax system to help low paid working families by introducing ‘working tax credits’, and ‘sure start’ and even people like me got help with child-care with a voucher thing I can’t quite remember now but do recall being grateful for it. Yes, GB made it too-clever-by-half (or not-so-clever) so that it was very complicated but it did mean that many in low paid or part-time jobs with kids could increase their hours without a ‘cliff edge’ where they simultaneously lost benefits such that they were no better off (or even worse off). Yes, Brown did make cock-ups as part of that process that had unintended consequences for some (later corrected) but the stats are quite clear that child and pensioner poverty was hugely reduced.

So give me a Blairite government over a Tory one any day (especially this bunch of shysters). Call it ‘Red Tory’ if you like but it’s still not bloody Tory.

One more thing…… the last 11 general election results for Labour read:
LOST, LOST, LOST, LOST, BLAIR, BLAIR, BLAIR, LOST, LOST, LOST, LOST.

Reactions: Mike E

Emu

Oct 3, 2003
Sarf London
But that’s not true BG.

I accept Blair was a massive disappointment to many of us the way he disappeared up his own rear-end with all his ‘cool-Brittania’ stuff ……..and the way we became the unquestioning American cheer-leader for a disastrous war on the flimsiest of ‘evidence’ ….and he seemed to think he had carved out a unique role for himself and the UK as the transatlantic ‘bridge’ between the US and Europe (which was nonsense and we ended up with little respect from either side).

BUT ……. Labour delivered some seriously worthwhile policies particularly in their first term. They introduced the minimum wage that lifted huge numbers out of poverty & grossly exploitative jobs in the face of massive Tory opposition where even moderates like Ken Clarke were predicting dire consequences and massive job loses if we ever tried such a radical thing. They created the ‘Low pay commission’ – an independent body to advise on the national living wage & minimum wage, making it harder for future governments to ignore. Can you imagine the Tories doing that?

There was the ‘new deal’ and ‘sure start’ schemes for the young guaranteeing jobs or training and this was all funded by a wind-fall tax on the newly privatised utilities. Pretty radical stuff – again when the Tories were predicting economic carnage.

They did invest huge sums into hospitals and schools that made a genuine tangible difference. My local small village Primary school (about 90 kids) that previously had been making-do with porta-cabins for over 20 years received a £1.5 million new building just in time for my own kids to enjoy. Hospital waiting lists and medical appointment times fell to record low levels – in fact they over-did this as it became a distorting target. But try getting a doctor’s appointment today and it seems like a golden era.

Gordon Brown set about changing the tax system to help low paid working families by introducing ‘working tax credits’, and ‘sure start’ and even people like me got help with child-care with a voucher thing I can’t quite remember now but do recall being grateful for it. Yes, GB made it too-clever-by-half (or not-so-clever) so that it was very complicated but it did mean that many in low paid or part-time jobs with kids could increase their hours without a ‘cliff edge’ where they simultaneously lost benefits such that they were no better off (or even worse off). Yes, Brown did make cock-ups as part of that process that had unintended consequences for some (later corrected) but the stats are quite clear that child and pensioner poverty was hugely reduced.

So give me a Blairite government over a Tory one any day (especially this bunch of shysters). Call it ‘Red Tory’ if you like but it’s still not bloody Tory.

One more thing…… the last 11 general election results for Labour read:
LOST, LOST, LOST, LOST, BLAIR, BLAIR, BLAIR, LOST, LOST, LOST, LOST.
I think BG is spot on to be honest.
Blair government was Tories under sheep's clothing.