• Welcome to PASOTI (Sponsored by GA Solictors and Lang & Potter)

I think Labour has got it wrong

Oct 24, 2019
Not a reason/answer to the argument. Suppose Scotland becomes Independent soon and is taken back by the EU. There is an awful lot of defence money spent up there (Submarines, 3 big RAF bases for a start) - I assume Westminster won't want our military bases in the EU?

Nov 15, 2011
GreenBiker":28wlr45q said:
Not a reason/answer to the argument. Suppose Scotland becomes Independent soon and is taken back by the EU. There is an awful lot of defence money spent up there (Submarines, 3 big RAF bases for a start) - I assume Westminster won't want our military bases in the EU?

I believe that not having to pay £31 billion on the updated trident subs is one of the main reasons scotland wants independence.

Sep 2, 2008
Quinny":2w8p1o14 said:
themightykeithfear":2w8p1o14 said:
Quinny the crucial difference between Scotland and other prospective members is that Scotland was a member less than 2 years ago and was taken out against their will, and as such they wouldn’t be jumping the queue.

Look, I don't claim to be an expert in this field (or any other field, other than possibly krautrock and 70's electronic music) but - in my novice eyes, technically it was the UK which joined the EU, and the UK voted to leave, not Scotland. Regional voting arguments aside, I'm 100% sympathetic to the calls for an independent Scotland to join on the back of the 2016 referendum results, but you have to consider Scottish membership objectively, not based on sentimentality. It would be irresponsible to do anything other than treat Scotland as a completely different political/economic entity to the United Kingdom (which is what Scotland is calling for). Does Scotland meet the financial requirements to join? Are they definitely not another Greece waiting to happen?

There was a joint letter a couple of weeks ago from high profile people from all 27 members requesting a fast track for Scotland which was supported by many meps. Bearing in mind the political significance the Eu is pretty good at getting it’s ducks in a row although I do think we’re looking at 5 years minimum.

You mean this joint letter?. You look at the full list of 200-odd signatories and all I see are writers, activists, and acaedemics. Not saying they don't have a strong voice, but I don't see any politicians from across the EU on that list.

Exactly. Scotland have never been in the EU so why should they be afforded different treatment from other Countries that have never been in the EU either.

I'm not convinced that Scotland would be able to join the EU anyway as I'm not sure that they can meet the criteria for joining.

Sep 2, 2008
themightykeithfear":zysonnnv said:
GreenBiker":zysonnnv said:

I believe that not having to pay £31 billion on the updated trident subs is one of the main reasons scotland wants independence.

Yeah, I'm sure it is. I also think another reason is because they want to lose all the jobs and income generation for the localities that are associated with those bases :facepalm:

Nov 15, 2011
Like most Scotland size countries in the EU they won't want or need any military presence of any significance, they can spend their money on schools and hospitals which will also provide jobs rather playing big boys and their toys and spending billions on bombs they'll never use.

Seriously though there are still 1 or 2 rogue states that Scotland should be worried about, North Korea is far away, but one rogue state leader closer to home did publish this -

"The Scots what a verminous race! Polluting our stock, undermining our economy. It’s time Hadrian’s Wall was refortified to pen them in a ghetto on the other side. I would go further. The nation deserves not merely isolation but comprehensive extermination."

A seat in the House of Lords and a multi million contract for anyone who can name him?

Oct 9, 2003
Aberdeen
themightykeithfear":3shl3klv said:
Like most Scotland size countries in the EU they won't want or need any military presence of any significance, they can spend their money on schools and hospitals which will also provide jobs rather playing big boys and their toys and spending billions on bombs they'll never use.

Seriously though there are still 1 or 2 rogue states that Scotland should be worried about, North Korea is far away, but one rogue state leader closer to home did publish this -

"The Scots what a verminous race! Polluting our stock, undermining our economy. It’s time Hadrian’s Wall was refortified to pen them in a ghetto on the other side. I would go further. The nation deserves not merely isolation but comprehensive extermination."

A seat in the House of Lords and a multi million contract for anyone who can name him?

James Michie.

Frank_Butcher":1302bt2k said:
themightykeithfear":1302bt2k said:

James Michie.

That quote by Michie was reprinted by Boris Johnson in the Spectator.

Oct 9, 2003
Aberdeen
mervyn":3k5tys83 said:
Frank_Butcher":3k5tys83 said:
themightykeithfear":3k5tys83 said:

James Michie.

That quote by Michie was reprinted by Boris Johnson in the Spectator.

Indeed it was, and it wasn't the first time it had been published. And of course the fact that that was what tmkf was referring to was not lost on me.

The point is that the poem is entirely and most obviously satirical. Some Scottish groups objected to the language used in the poem but this was from a man born in 1927 and who is very much respected amongst literary critics. The man himself was born in Surrey but with a name like Michie I wonder what his heritage was. Any thoughts?

And think, why would a fiercely anti-Scottish Independence publication print something like that if it wasn't satirical?

It's a lazy punch at Johnson probably informed by someone having a rant on social media. Par for the course. Boring.

Nov 15, 2011
I didn't say he wrote it I said he published it, which he did as the editor of The Spectator..

It was satirical but it was also offensive to many Scottish people, but just another example of Johnson not caring who he offends from muslim women "letterboxes and bank robbers" to black people "picaninnies with watermelon smiles" gay people "tank topped bumboys" and preferring our families bodies piling up high to a lockdown. I get that some people like that but the Scottish people don't and neither do I.

Hardly a cheap shot referring to things he has published or said.

Nov 15, 2011
Guiri Green":2z05dzfa said:
Sometimes these threads turn into nothing more than a digest of someone's lop sided twitter feed.

Well give twitter a rest for a day or two Guiri, you'll feel a lot better for it.

Oct 9, 2003
Aberdeen
themightykeithfear":36npib0m said:
Guiri Green":36npib0m said:
Sometimes these threads turn into nothing more than a digest of someone's lop sided twitter feed.

Well give twitter a rest for a day or two Guiri, you'll feel a lot better for it.

Actually, this place would be better if you'd try thinking for yourself, rather than regurgitating the predominance of half-truths you consume elsewhere.

Nov 15, 2011
Oh right quoting people is half truths, and my thoughts are entirely original Frank unlike yourself I dont follow any slavish dogma and when someone is a a lying corrupt crook I call it out , not make simpering excuses cos hes wearing my team's football shirt.

Oct 9, 2003
Aberdeen
themightykeithfear":2st85n0p said:
Oh right quoting people is half truths, and my thoughts are entirely original Frank unlike yourself I dont follow any slavish dogma and when someone is a a lying corrupt crook I call it out , not make simpering excuses cos hes wearing my team's football shirt.

Lol

Sep 2, 2008
Frank_Butcher":1b2xjqnf said:
themightykeithfear":1b2xjqnf said:
Guiri Green":1b2xjqnf said:

Actually, this place would be better if you'd try thinking for yourself, rather than regurgitating the predominance of half-truths you consume elsewhere.

Tbf, I do believe that he does actually think for himself which just makes it all the more sadder really.

Usually people have such a distorted view of things because they lean so far toward one particular side and no matter how many pictures you paint for them to help them attain a better balanced view, they just wont ever see it.

There are none so blind as those that will not see :sad: