Sky new TV deal & kick-off times | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Sky new TV deal & kick-off times

NLG

✅ Evergreen
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Jan 16, 2006
The difference between L1 and Cship next season will be £9M - £11M .

Then add on to that any player sales will be worth more purchased from a championship club
Any investment in the club will cost the investor significantly more for a championship club

I think financially to Argyle staying up - we are talking well over £20 million.

Sep 20, 2005
Stockholm
This is the point myself, @WoodsyGreen, and other have been making. Staying up was so important if we didn't want to be financially cut adrift. Especially given the size of clubs coming up from L1. Well done to everyone that made it happen.

Jan 27, 2012
The TV money for staying in the Championship next year is one of the most important reasons why Argyle needed to stay up. It seems to me that the gulf with League One is really widening from next season.

Having said that, as every Championship team receives this money (in addition to those teams also in receipt of Premier League parachute payments) it doesn't give Argyle any sort of competitive advantage over league rivals. It seems likely the money will just fuel further increases in player wages and transfer fees, with little being spent on infrastructure etc.

Dec 25, 2005
Mutley
I think you have to look at the money as a percentage of the clubs overall expenditure. By that measure, for a high spending club such as Stoke, Leicester, Leeds etc., its a small change. For a club like Argyle, its a huge increase in revenue, allowing for bigger expenditure on wages etc. Also of note is that it puts us in a stronger position if there are lower league players we're interested in, Azeez, for example.

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
Yep it allows us to sign that 'next level' of player, and I reckon we can spend £15m better than some clubs would spend £50m.

There's probably a cut-off point where that isn't possible, i.e. there's no way we can compete with Leeds et al on our current/last season budget, but if we're able to spend at least £1-2m on each player rather than just one or two then maybe we can start to.

Apr 21, 2013
Plymouth
OK the extra money will be great but I will buy my season ticket for 23 league matches not knowing
from week to week on what day.... or what time... the matches will be.
I feel sorry for our supporters from Cornwall, North Devon and afar who have been treated with disdain.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
Yep, that's the downside. Next season is going to be far far worse for changes and strange times.

Reactions: StrictlyGreen

MGM

✨Pasoti Donor✨
Dec 7, 2021
The extra money is great for the club, but for me personally l don't think the kick off times will be something many of us like.

It's puts extra pressure on people maybe trying to have to find more money for accommodation because a lunchtime kick off means they don't want to be making a 4am start if going to beyond the Midlands. We know how our road infrastructure is so you need to give yourself some wiggle room.

I also don't think it means we are spending 10+ million on transfer fees. As people forget the higher the transfer fee the more expensive their wages.

I am curious about the deal & await It's impact. I just think at times football clubs will do anything to sell their soul. The extra exposure is good, but at what cost to the match day going fans.

Sep 6, 2006
The extra money is great for the club, but for me personally l don't think the kick off times will be something many of us like.

It's puts extra pressure on people maybe trying to have to find more money for accommodation because a lunchtime kick off means they don't want to be making a 4am start if going to beyond the Midlands. We know how our road infrastructure is so you need to give yourself some wiggle room.

I also don't think it means we are spending 10+ million on transfer fees. As people forget the higher the transfer fee the more expensive their wages.

I am curious about the deal & await It's impact. I just think at times football clubs will do anything to sell their soul. The extra exposure is good, but at what cost to the match day going fans.
We will need to spend 10 million once Whittaker and probably Cooper go

Reactions: Monster Green
Sep 6, 2006
OK the extra money will be great but I will buy my season ticket for 23 league matches not knowing
from week to week on what day.... or what time... the matches will be.
I feel sorry for our supporters from Cornwall, North Devon and afar who have been treated with disdain.
I understand a clause in the new deal is that more notice will be given.

Mar 15, 2007
Plymouth

We are probably one of the least enticing prospects for TV though and I tend to find the cameras come to HP more often than when we play on the road. It will have an effect but maybe not as much as the “bigger” clubs who find themselves on TV every other week.