Sky new TV deal & kick-off times | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Sky new TV deal & kick-off times

May 11, 2017
Great Yarmouth
Now that the rollercoaster of today has settled down, what does this mean for the club going forward? How much extra money will we get and how much more can go to playing staff, backroom staff and the general budget for the club? I know it's been talked about in dribs and drabs but what will this do for club?

Jan 16, 2005
Now that the rollercoaster of today has settled down, what does this mean for the club going forward? How much extra money will we get and how much more can go to playing staff, backroom staff and the general budget for the club? I know it's been talked about in dribs and drabs but what will this do for club
I am sure someone better informed will shed some light. My guess is that as every team in the championship will get the same it may not improve our position relative to them.

Sep 3, 2011
Not sure of the exact figures. Anything from £5 million to £15 million from what I heard.
There will be only 7 Saturday 3pm kick offs each week in the Championship next season.

Reactions: Pasty808
Jul 29, 2012
Apparently it's an extra £2.5 million per club per season on top of what we currently receive, an increase of 46%.

For this season the money from the football league plus the tv money is £8- £9M .

For next season the football league handout is likely to a be a little bit higher . As said the tv increase is £2.6M but with more games being shown clubs should receive extra facility fees so the total extra over this season is likely to be up to £4M .

Monster Green

Cream First
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Jan 12, 2007
Plymouth
With the rumoured money potentially doubling from Sky next season, and the investment that Simon has said would be greater than if we'd gone down, how much do you think we'll be getting next season?

Assuming Sky give between 12-16m, wouldn't it also be fair to assume investment of around 10m could be coming our way? In theory, we could be starting the season with 3x compared to starting this season. Significant for us most certainly!

Sep 22, 2020
whereas it is a sizeable increase it is almost irrelevant as players will demand higher wages in the championship.

Agents will say ok tv money up 46 per cent. my player deserves that too so actually we will simply pay more for the same. Maybe able to lure more top div 1 players as the wage differential increases.

Monster Green

Cream First
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Jan 12, 2007
Plymouth
whereas it is a sizeable increase it is almost irrelevant as players will demand higher wages in the championship.

Agents will say ok tv money up 46 per cent. my player deserves that too so actually we will simply pay more for the same. Maybe able to lure more top div 1 players as the wage differential increases.
I don't think it is irrelevant. If we don't get an increase then we won't be able to compete.

Aug 17, 2011
Kings Tamerton
I am sure someone better informed will shed some light. My guess is that as every team in the championship will get the same it may not improve our position relative to them.
Seeing as other clubs would be spending £30m+ per season anyway we have moved closer.
Also, we paid £1m for Whittaker and Mumba and I’d argue both have increased their value, Whittaker 10 fold and MBA must have doubled or tripled his valuation.

Jul 29, 2012
If you look at some of the accounts lodged at companies house for last season , the football league payout to league 1 clubs was £2M - £2.5M . With the increased tv money that will increase to around £3M ,for next season .

For championship clubs last season the football league /tv/ premier league payout combined was around £9M and will probably be a bit more this season and maybe up to £10M . With the new Sky money that will go up by £2.6M minimum for next season with extra being paid as a facility fee each time a game is televised . As far as I know the new facility fee hasn’t been publicised but with the number of games being shown you can probably add on another £1M .

That excludes any money from the sale of the tv rights in Europe , Asia , America etc which was only signed in March ( doesn’t affect streaming ) so potentially a bit more .

The difference between L1 and Cship next season will be £9M - £11M .

You’d like to think that extra would be made available to the player budget . While all C’ship clubs will get the same ( roughly) they are all making substantial losses so that money may just be used to reduce the losses instead of putting the money into wages .

In terms of wages not all clubs publicise player wages but some do - Ipswich last year paid £12.5M and Cardiff £14.5M - with both making substantial losses( not that Ipswich will care !) .

Notwithstanding our stadium size our turnover for this season at somewhere £22M -£24m will be competitive with mid table championship sides so it all depends on how much the Board release.

Last edited: