How long… | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

How long…

Sep 10, 2021
Still got a feeling that once Paul Cook gets a couple of results they'll go a decent run. Saying that I was reading things from their fans yesterday saying that he had no plan B either. Maybe it's a thing for the "big" clubs in the division, they just think they're going to walk it!!

Apr 1, 2009
So we now think that RL is back on the list of desirable managers who appear on everyone's shortlist? From an Argyle point of view I want to forget last season's horrors, but those recruiting for other clubs can't surely ignore them? Or perhaps, as this is football, they can!

May 3, 2019
Speaking to Wednesday fans before the game they were already critical, so heaven knows how they felt 90 minutes later. Their judgement was particularly based on reports from West Brom fans, who simply felt he couldn’t cut it.
There were quite a few Wednesday fans trudging through Central Park after the game saying they would rather have Ryan Lowe “Used t’play for us tha knows”…

Jul 27, 2021
So we now think that RL is back on the list of desirable managers who appear on everyone's shortlist? From an Argyle point of view I want to forget last season's horrors, but those recruiting for other clubs can't surely ignore them? Or perhaps, as this is football, they can!
Didn’t RL say he wanted to manage Wednesday one day??

I don’t think RL will want to leave, or be attractive to other clubs, until he’s got us promoted. If you look at the structure, funding and all round set-up we now have at Argyle, with a team that is beginning to reflect his beliefs, it would take an exceptional offer from any Championship club to lure him away, particularly if that club is recruiting because of their own problems. I think he’s a canny chap who is beginning to see our potential becoming a reality.

Bryan Tregunna

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
Sep 22, 2003
In summary:
Y1. Promotion with Bury
Y2. Promotion with Argyle
Y3. Maintained L1 status
Y4. ?? (Currently pushing for promotion )
ALSO
- tries to play in an attractive, attacking style
- doesn't recruit k***heads

So, without looking any further, that's one helluva CV.

Jun 27, 2019
I don’t think RL will want to leave, or be attractive to other clubs, until he’s got us promoted. If you look at the structure, funding and all round set-up we now have at Argyle, with a team that is beginning to reflect his beliefs, it would take an exceptional offer from any Championship club to lure him away, particularly if that club is recruiting because of their own problems. I think he’s a canny chap who is beginning to see our potential becoming a reality.
What exactly is that, though?

There was a time when every new Argyle manager would use the dreaded 'P word' liberally in his first press conference. You don't hear it so much from our new managers these days because football has changed in the last 20-30 years and left us behind to an extent.

Without big bucks our potential is probably limited to one or two seasons in the Championship, and that's if we can finish above some massive clubs in the division we're currently in - not to mention small clubs like Wigan and Fleetwood out-spending us.

Reactions: DartPilgrim

The Doctor

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 15, 2003
Plymouth
andapoet.blog
Apart from (presumably) an increased salary and, perhaps, geographical/family reasons, I can't see why a job like the Sheffield Wednesday one would be attractive to any manager who is settled and doing well at his current club at the moment. With the transfer window having just shut you would inherit all of the previous manager's signings and problems, a mountain of expectation and minimal scope to significantly change anything until at least January but probably next summer. And you be leaving behind your own project that you are heavily invested in and just starting to see bearing fruit.

Reactions: Ponty
Mar 14, 2009
Wednesday fans were mentioning the same issue Argyle has. The ball into midfield where they got pressed into a mistake.

If anyone watched the Chelsea game sat evening they were of seen the Lukaku goal. They broke the press. They would of also seen the Watkins chance from Chelsea trying to break the press. This is with a multi million pound team. One of the best in English football. And even they struggle.

l wouldn’t worry about Lowe. He still has much to prove at this level before other sides look at him. In particularly, his in game management. Argyle are fine when they go ahead. When questions are asked of Lowe to change the course of a game when we go behind nothing happens, In other words he has‘t yet shown he can influence the result. Just have a look back at results since Lowe’s reign since he first started. Not many games have we got a result when a team scores first. That shows us currently he has yet to prove he has a plan B.

Apr 1, 2009
In summary:
Y1. Promotion with Bury
Y2. Promotion with Argyle
Y3. Maintained L1 status
Y4. ?? (Currently pushing for promotion )
ALSO
- tries to play in an attractive, attacking style
- doesn't recruit k***heads

So, without looking any further, that's one helluva CV.
I think if I was actually thinking about recruiting him, I'd go into a little more depth in Y3 than the, albeit truthful, summary you have provided. You learn a lot about people in terms of how they deal with adversity, and a fair bit went wrong. I think "currently pushing for promotion" might be Lowe's own description, but is a little premature after 6 games!

Not knocking RL, but question whether bigger clubs would be wholly convinced at present.