how can Argyle improve in 2022/23 | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

how can Argyle improve in 2022/23

Dec 30, 2020
Argyle need new players but I doubt we will be able to find many who are better than the ones we have.

So we need to improve in other ways.

- not conceding late goals (lost eight points in injury time last season - better concentration and resilience required)

- better attacking set pieces (critical to nicking points when not playing well or creating much)

- being less predictable (obviously need to be approaching games against the better teams, and the likes of Wycombe and Cambridge who had an effective plan to neutralise us, a bit differently)

What other ways could we improve next season, beyond just signing new players?

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
I think we need to be a little nastier. A little more streetwise. We get bullied somewhat too often. We have slowly improved in this regard but we still have a bit of a way to go.

Apr 1, 2009
Whether you can sign better players is debatable. However you can certainly sign players who have different strengths. It's a similar point to Cobi's, but we lack height and physicality. We are a small and physically weak team who get beaten up by more powerful and streetwise opponents. We have no one in the squad apart from the CD's who is capable of regularly winning headers.

Reactions: saxman and Drake

Mark Pedlar

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jul 28, 2010
Whether you can sign better players is debatable. However you can certainly sign players who have different strengths. It's a similar point to Cobi's, but we lack height and physicality. We are a small and physically weak team who get beaten up by more powerful and streetwise opponents. We have no one in the squad apart from the CD's who is capable of regularly winning headers.
agree largely but for their stature, Randell and Edwards win more than their fair share.

Jun 24, 2008
I think we need to be a little nastier. A little more streetwise. We get bullied somewhat too often. We have slowly improved in this regard but we still have a bit of a way to go.
Completely agree. We need to find a better balance between being physical and a good "footballing side". Sunderland in their promotion via the playoffs demonstrated how to do this by digging in and matching Wycombe physically whilst outplaying them. Whilst we took points of both at parts of the season, I think both Wednesday and MK Dons found a better balance too.

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
We need a plan B formation.
Lowe and now Schumacher stuck rigidly with the 3-1-4-2 formation and we were predictable except for maybe throwing Scarr upfront for the last 5 minutes or Jephcott playing a little deeper.

The flipside is that Schumacher will say the formation works and got the team to seventh place.

But I think we should have a formation change ready to go in case Plan A is not working and the need to switch tactics in the latter stages of some games.

The Doctor

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 15, 2003
Plymouth
andapoet.blog
- better attacking set pieces (critical to nicking points when not playing well or creating much)
Just doing this one would remove the need for having to do the other two to some extent. I feel like we've really had a VERY poor return from attaching set pieces recently and that our goal return from them should have been a lot better. It's funny, because when I first saw Scarr play I thought he was going to pick up quite a few goals for us but that didn't materialise at all. I think the greater part of the problem is the poor quality of delivery.

Sep 6, 2006
Lowe and now Schumacher stuck rigidly with the 3-1-4-2 formation and we were predictable except for maybe throwing Scarr upfront for the last 5 minutes or Jephcott playing a little deeper.

The flipside is that Schumacher will say the formation works and got the team to seventh place.

But I think we should have a formation change ready to go in case Plan A is not working and the need to switch tactics in the latter stages of some games.
That would involve signing a targetman I suggest.

Sep 6, 2006
Argyle need new players but I doubt we will be able to find many who are better than the ones we have.

So we need to improve in other ways.

- not conceding late goals (lost eight points in injury time last season - better concentration and resilience required)

- being less predictable (obviously need to be approaching games against the better teams, and the likes of Wycombe and Cambridge who had an effective plan to neutralise us, a bit differently)

What other ways could we improve next season, beyond just signing new players?
Most of those things involve getting different/better Players. We definitely need to do better with set pieces.

mutley marvel

Cream First
✅ Evergreen
Feb 13, 2021
We did not have much joy in the taking of corners - we need a Sonny type character at the back stick or maybe Dan was the man to be at the back stick
Hopefully the issues we have had with corners, set pieces will be ironed out next season

Pogleswoody

R.I.P
Jul 3, 2006
Location Location
Win the first league game esp. if at home. That would have made a difference to automatic promotion and the playoffs this season!
(Yes I know something else might have happened that didn't but starting with a win would be nice.)

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
I think Posty and Cobi have hit the nail on the head for me.

We need more bite across the pitch and a few difference options within the squad to mix it up a bit. A target type man would be high priority and an experienced head in the middle in the Toumbs style.

Interesting the comments about our predictability and the need for a plan B. As an avid reader of most other league one fan sites, you will find that this is the most common complaint by fans at nearly every club, all complaining that their side has been sussed out by the opposition. I think the truer fact is that with a rising standard in this league, surely now comparable to the Championship of 15-20 years ago, teams are now more able to exploit weaknesses, as identified by far smarter tactical coaches and statisticians.

Aug 17, 2005

Agreed I have said that I would like to see them try 3 2 4 1 by bringing Randall back alongside Houghton this stops teams doubling up on Houghton and gives us two outlets feom the back to qork through the thirds. Yes we lose one forward and qould need the midfield players to bring more goals. I like the thought if different tactics and formations as per the opposition and location home or away

Reactions: MGM and greenpilled
Dec 30, 2020
Most of those things involve getting different/better Players. We definitely need to do better with set pieces.

hmmm not really sure about that. I think if you've beaten/drawn with a team over 90 minutes it ought to be possible to do so over 94. Similarly, a group of professional players training together every day are probably capable of getting better at corners and playing in more than one formation. I'm not saying we don't need new players, but fans should be realistic about our financial firepower. We are not going to be successful next season without getting more out of the players we've already got.