how can Argyle improve in 2022/23 | Page 4 | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

how can Argyle improve in 2022/23

Jul 13, 2006
There seems to be a reluctance to shoot at goal within the Argyle team.
Very often it’s taking on one too many opponents and the chance is lost.
I wonder if they are discouraged from shooting on sight or is it a confidence issue?
No unfortunately just not very good at shooting!

Feb 21, 2011
If we are going to continue to play three at the back, we will need
different wing backs. Edwards and Grant are fine players, but neither
has the speed, dynamism and ability to beat a man needed for the
wing back position. If Sessegnon returns, he would be my choice on the
right, and Law on the left.
Quicker service to the front men, of the kind Broom and Camara provided
in the earlier part of last season, is also required. The speed of our attacks
decreased noticeably when Mayor became first choice.
Also agree entirely about the standard of our set pieces; Randell would prove
valuable in that respect.
Thing is Edwards doe's have some idea of how to defend something sadly lacking in Sessegnons game, and Grant popped up with some very useful goals and was amongst our better players. towards the end of the season when Law and Sessegnon started we got beaten on most occasions, that said they'll be a year older and wiser.

Reactions: Penmaster

Emu

Oct 3, 2003
Sarf London
Really? Someone earlier in the thread mentioned that we were one of the top teams to concede at set pieces.

Considering the stat people reckon we got him in for the number of headers he wins, I would say his defending isn't very good. I appreciate he isn't the only one defending but it seems he is meant to be our man for attacking the ball in both our box and the opponents.

Would be interesting to see how many of our set pieces he converted.
Any ball playing, no nonsense central defenders going spare that you know of that Argyle can afford? ;-)

Jul 28, 2020
More height and muscle throughout the side.

Re- think the wing- back system.

Find space in the 11 for a big defensive midfielder, a big mobile centre- forward and a traditional number 10.

Have utility players in the 11- so that the formation can be changed , during a game if things are not working out.

Be prepared NOT to play football, if that’s what’s needed to get the 3 points.

Go to Wycombe and Cambridge, with confidence, looking for the 3 points......

Reactions: Andy B. and AlanMS
Sep 6, 2006
Really? Someone earlier in the thread mentioned that we were one of the top teams to concede at set pieces.

Considering the stat people reckon we got him in for the number of headers he wins, I would say his defending isn't very good. I appreciate he isn't the only one defending but it seems he is meant to be our man for attacking the ball in both our box and the opponents.

Would be interesting to see how many of our set pieces he converted.
We were not one of the 'top teams to concede at set pieces'. Even Sheff. W conceded more. Scarr was a huge improvement on previous season so let's drop him!

Reactions: rsp4

JannerinCardiff

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
♣️ SWAG Member
Jul 16, 2018
Cardiff
Scarr should not be starting. We need someone that is much better with the ball at his feet. Think of Darling from MK Dons.

There have been a few games where teams have set up to force Scarr to play the ball out and invariably he gave it away - Wycombe at home springs to mind. We need someone with the confidence and ability to take it into the middle if needs be

Dont get me wrong I’d love to see Harry Darling in an Argyle shirt - quality player imo. I just picked this back 3 based on what players we have in the Argyle squad at the moment.

Oct 31, 2015
Which raises the question, who should we have as our back 3 if we stick to the present system out of the current very competent group of Bolton, Wilson, Scarr, Gillesphey, and Galloway?
Galloway Scarr Wilson

Is my preferred

But there's a shout for Bolton in the centre. We did really well when he came in.

Jan 30, 2016
in fact I would go for 442 with Galloway, Scarr, Bolton and Galloway as my back 4. It seems a waste to have one of these on the bench. Build the team from that foundation - a forward that can head the ball, and a midfielder who can score goals.

Reactions: Railway sleeper

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
We have five excellent centre-backs but we only use three, they would all get used in most other League One teams so yes it does seem a waste to have two on the bench.

Last season we needed five because of injuries, Galloway, Bolton and Wilson all arrived with a recent injury record so it was prudent to have five centre-backs but if Galloway and Bolton are fit for the new season Schumacher has a problem keeping all five happy.

With Houghton suspended for the first game I wonder if it's an option to play Gillesphey as the sitting midfielder? He's one of the best passers in the squad, is comfortable on the ball and would add the muscle and height that we've been lacking in that area.

Reactions: AlanMS
Apr 1, 2009
in fact I would go for 442 with Galloway, Scarr, Bolton and Galloway as my back 4. It seems a waste to have one of these on the bench. Build the team from that foundation - a forward that can head the ball, and a midfielder who can score goals.
I imagine one of your Galloways is a Gillesphey.

If you're going for a back 4 (which we won't), playing CBs on the flanks is not the best start.

Sep 6, 2006
'There's only two Galloway's'. If only.

Mar 5, 2022
Western Australia
I think Gillesphey would be great in the Houghton position, he wouldn't take any crap, and can bring the ball out, he seems ok on the ball. Saying that, I really want Randell to get a go next season, can he fill another midfield roll?
Other than that, we need an attacking quick wing back with good delivery, and as Balham says, a target man. You need a plan B up front.

Mar 11, 2021
Tavistock
Just been thinking a lot about the 3 at the back system. Scott Twine said " we knew how they'd play so we knew how to hurt them" or something similar.

I am not saying abolish 3 at the back. But surely it would be smart to have the squad drilled to play a 4 at the back system too.

This way we would be less predictable to plan for. If we have this in our back pockets it cannot be a detriment.

I know we had a fair few injuries at the run in but it did feel like we had been sussed out too.

Sep 2, 2008
Wouldn't go too far wrong getting in that Hungarian lad that came on up front against England last night Martin Adam.

Looked a quality player and would certainly do a job in a league one side.