Harry Penk a very special man. | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Harry Penk a very special man.

Jan 4, 2005
NEWQUAY
Andy_S":2xcmq6ju said:
RIP Harry.

I have some great memories as a kid of the late 50s and early 60s.

I share those memories too. I shall always recall visiting Plymouth with my mother during the school summer holidays and we were in Dingles store. We were standing waiting for the lift and the doors opened. Who should be there with presumably his wife was Harry, dressed like a true gentleman with his club tie, and blazer showing his club badge. As a kid, I was gobsmacked at the sighting. Long gone are the days when club players would be dressed as smartly, when they were out of season, and not in training.

Harry was not a tall player by any means but his broad shoulders made him strong in possession.

RIP Harry Penk

May 31, 2020
In the old days before substitutes, there was the rare occasion when the guile of Carter, Gauld and McAnearney, and the sheer power of Johnny Williams could not break down an opposing defence. It was then that Argyle's tactical masterstroke came into play. Anderson and Penk would change wings, Anderson to the left, and Penk to the right. Strangely enough, this often sowed confusion in the opponents, and let to a goal or two.
Watching Harry Penk cost me a shilling to stand in all weathers on the compacted rubble that made up the Lyndhurst in the 50's. It was money well spent

Dec 2, 2010
Plymouth
He was a talented player. Anybody else remember the song we used to sing -
Penk ran down the left wing and passed to Anderson. Anderson passed to Kirby and Krby got number one.
Where was the goalie, when the ball was in the net? Hanging from the crossbar with his b..ls around his neck.
Singing "Argyle, Argyle, let's have another. Argyle, Argyle, let's have another." We can shoot, we can pass. We can kick them up the ass. We are the members of the Argyle fan club. Ooh Lay, cha-cha-cha.

Sung, I think, to the "My Old Man's a Dustman".

Bovey Green lady

🚑 Steve Hooper
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 29, 2019
Sad to hear of Harry's death. He and Peter Anderson were a delight to watch. I recall a couple of games at Brighton's old Goldstone Ground which sloped quite steeply down toward one corner. As others have said, Harry was not very tall(I think about 5ft 3ins) and our supporters always said that when he took a corner, from that side, he disappeared, causing the Brighton defenders to loose sight of him. More than one goal came from such a corner!
He may have been short in stature, but he was a big man! He lived in one of the " club houses" which backed onto my school grounds, so we often saw his Daughter playing in the garden. She was very sweet and liked to wave to us "Big Girls".
R I P. Harry, you will remain an Argyle Legend!
Sorry, my brain clearly 'aint what it was! It was in fact Len Casey who lived in the house next to my school! Make allowances, please, for advancing years!!

memory man

✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
Bovey-Green lady":1ju9y2om said:
Sad to hear of Harry's death. He and Peter Anderson were a delight to watch. I recall a couple of games at Brighton's old Goldstone Ground which sloped quite steeply down toward one corner. As others have said, Harry was not very tall(I think about 5ft 3ins) and our supporters always said that when he took a corner, from that side, he disappeared, causing the Brighton defenders to loose sight of him. More than one goal came from such a corner!
He may have been short in stature, but he was a big man! He lived in one of the " club houses" which backed onto my school grounds, so we often saw his Daughter playing in the garden. She was very sweet and liked to wave to us "Big Girls".
R I P. Harry, you will remain an Argyle Legend!
Sorry, my brain clearly 'aint what it was! It was in fact Len Casey who lived in the house next to my school! Make allowances, please, for advancing years!!
Ha ha.. I will copy this to that young lady this evening. I speak to her Dad every couple of weeks but she and I also communicate by e-mail. Funnily enough, Harry and Barbara did briefly rent rooms in Meredith Road for £2/15/- a week, before taking a whole upstairs in Peverell Park Road for £4 (including a garage).

Bovey Green lady

🚑 Steve Hooper
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 29, 2019
Please do, Memory Man. I think the Caseys' Daughter was called Louise ?But that may be another example of my advanced age!

Sep 21, 2003
I was lucky enough to meet Harry and Barbara at Steve's wedding, and they couldn't have been more friendly and generous with their time.

RIP Harry.

memory man

✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
Bovey-Green lady":1yz4zo6e said:
Please do, Memory Man. I think the Caseys' Daughter was called Louise ?But that may be another example of my advanced age!
Here is the reply I got. You will see her name is Lynn.

Morning Steve

How funny that she recalled me waving to them . I can remember playing in the garden and big path behind the back wall that led up to the school

I saw dad last night and he mentioned you’d called him

Regards Lynn
Sent from my iPhone

memory man

✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
The Penk family were greatly touched by the tributes left by supporters. The comments have been copied and retained so that they will not be forgotten.