Grecians promoted | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Grecians promoted

Jul 23, 2021
It's not good for Devon and Cornwall to have Exeter this high up the league. Argyle are the region's only hope of top flight football and it would be best if we had the whole of both counties behind us.

Exeter in the same division confuses the issue. Well done to them, and I do acknowledge that a probable sell out game and reduced aggregate travelling time have some benefits for us, but on balance it would be best if they go straight back down.

I think the optimum arrangement would be for Exeter and Torquay to be in the upper echelons of the non league game and a welcome host for loan Argyle players, with a friendlier rivalry between the three teams. If and when Argyle can establish ourselves in the Championship, it might be possible to support another club in league football without harming football in Devon and Cornwall as a whole.
Sorry, its great for Devon football surely? We just need The Gulls back in the league , I hope they make it next season. Exeter are a well run outfit, never had any issue with their fans....feel for them to some extent as the City are obsessed with the Chiefs....

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
Yep agreed. Much better to have TUFC back in, preferably higher than the six toes as well.

Reactions: Argyle sy

Lancastergreen

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿
Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
Jan 12, 2017
Plymouth
You don't have to go it is optional

Reactions: Brussels Bureaucrat

Lancastergreen

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿
Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
Jan 12, 2017
Plymouth
Exeter promoted to league one is fantastic, we will have a short trip next season, possibly fighting out a draw or two.
Fair few disresctful "fans" on here, you do realise we aren't superior right?
We are only a small club ourselves, we aren't filling a 40-50000 stadium, we aren't that much bigger than Exeter!
Not good for Devon football?
Should be non league?
Wow, suddenly we have big boy syndrome tut tut, have a word.

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
we aren't that much bigger than Exeter!

We average double, almost triple Exeter's attendances, both home and away. Therefore that is like suggesting Man Utd aren't that much bigger than Norwich. I'm not even one of those people obsessed with club size etc, Exeter have been promoted to and therefore deserve to be at League 1 level, but to suggest we're not that much bigger than them simply isn't true, we're a lot bigger.

I like to think we're far more similar to clubs like Bristol City and Cardiff than we are to Exeter.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bernie Bernbaum

mutley marvel

Cream First
✅ Evergreen
Feb 13, 2021
Congratulations to them after so many years of being the nearly men
Will be interesting to see how they get on - as league 1 as evolved since the last time they were in it
The same could be said for Forest Green Rovers- how perceived smaller clubs manage in league 1 is what makes the league we are currently in more interesting
Cheltenham, Cambridge have weathered the league 1 storm pretty well
If Morecambe manage to stay up - all the 4 promoted club from league 2 last season would have achieved the brief of not being relegated
If Bristol Rovers get promoted also - at least League 1 will have a cluster of clubs that are geographically near to each other which to me is a good thing

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
Congratulations to them after so many years of being the nearly men
Will be interesting to see how they get on - as league 1 as evolved since the last time they were in it
The same could be said for Forest Green Rovers- how perceived smaller clubs manage in league 1 is what makes the league we are currently in more interesting
Cheltenham, Cambridge have weathered the league 1 storm pretty well
If Morecambe manage to stay up - all the 4 promoted club from league 2 last season would have achieved the brief of not being relegated
If Bristol Rovers get promoted also - at least League 1 will have a cluster of clubs that are geographically near to each other which to me is a good thing
I'm praying that the Gas stay down. It does them good to eat humble pie now and again.

Reactions: Verdant1
Dec 30, 2020
'It's not good for Devon and Cornwall to have Exeter this high up the league. Argyle are the region's only hope of top flight football and it would be best if we had the whole of both counties behind us.'

i never heard such non sense. this suggests no one supports non league football. would you support exeter if they got to the championship?????

No I wouldn't, but I've the wit to realise that as a die-hard, obsessive Argyle fan, I'm not typical of the circa 1.6 million people living in Devon and Cornwall.

If Argyle were a few divisions above Exeter, we probably would get more fans coming to watch us from across Devon, particularly if we could sustain the position for a few years. Quite possibly this would include some who might enjoy a homely non league game at Exeter one week and then a big Championship (or even Premier League) fixture at Home Park the next.

Being in a lower division would also make Exeter look much less attractive to the best youth players in the region and their parents.

I'm not complaining or saying they don't deserve it, or that they should deliberately drop down the league on our behalf. Just that it seems fairly inarguable that their success makes life a bit more difficult for Argyle.

Last edited:

jerryatricjanner

✅ Evergreen
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 22, 2006
I'm happy enough to see them come up for no other reason than it's another game to capture the interest. The top half of League 1 is packed currently with clubs looking to regain former glories. If the bottom half contains the likes of FGR, Exeter, Cheltenham, Swindon and Rovers that is great too with less travelling.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
I don’t think it would affect the Academy now. The effort that the club is now putting should stand us in very good stead.,

I think it’s difficult to argue with the fact they had the best for the last ten years but it’s also very obvious that we have come on leaps and bounds since Dewy has been on the scene.

They need a production line with the size of their fan base.