God Save the Queen (gigs in Plymouth) | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

God Save the Queen (gigs in Plymouth)

Dec 30, 2004
Brighton
As one who bought the original single in 1977 (I still have it) this raised a nostalgic chuckle. It will be an interesting litmus test of the development of British society over the intervening 45 years to see if it still has some power to p1ss people off.

Still a fascist regime? Sex Pistols’ God Save the Queen reissued to mark platinum jubilee

It was Number 1 in just about every chart in the UK on Silver Jubilee day - except, mysteriously, the BBC.

God Save the Queen

The song peaked at No. 2 (below Rod Stewart's "I Don't Want to Talk About It" released as a double A-side budget single along with "The First Cut Is the Deepest") on the official UK Singles Chart used by the BBC, though there have been persistent rumours that it was actually the biggest-selling single in the UK at the time, and was kept off No. 1 because it was felt that it might cause offence.

Various sources state that it was indeed the highest-selling single of the week, despite a ban by the BBC and some major retailers. In order to prevent it from reaching the top of the "official" BMRB chart for one week compilers "decreed that shops which sold their own records could not have those records represented in the chart", and thus sales from Virgin Megastores were not counted. Virgin had few doubts that theirs was the higher-selling single; the company's sales total out of stock exceeded the officially cited sales for the Rod Stewart single.

Reactions: Antipodean
Jul 25, 2006
Leighton Buzzard
That song opened my 21st birthday party!!! Did a playlist -old style- and had all the vinyl lined up beforehand, before I recorded it all on cassette!! Seems like yesterday. Always preferred The Clash to the Pistols though - by the time Sid joined, they were too nihilistic for me and I don't think Lydon wanted it that way.

Reactions: MickyD

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
In a sense of perfect timing one of the writers of GStQ Glen Matlock is currently filling in on bass for Blondie who are touring the UK and GStQ is partly played during the show.

Reactions: fitz

Lousy Pint

Jam First
Sep 23, 2005
Milano
Why does that not surprise me about the BBC???

As for GStQ, great song, great band! I was by no means a punk, but I thought they and others gave the 'supergroups' of the time a well deserved kick up the backside.
Amongst my CD prog rock collection there is 'Never Mind...' as well as, a bit later, 'Fat of the Land' by Prodigy.

unhinched

🚑 Steve Hooper
Apr 16, 2016
I have so much time for Mr Lydon. I loved his late 70's rebellion, admired his outspokeness on Jimmy Saville and I love his current rebellions too. Who would have thought that a Sex Pistol would end up voting for Trump , being anti-liberal (" liberal means being liberal with the truth" he retorted) and having little sympathy with anti-Israeli sentiment. Brilliant song, brilliant band and he's got a soft spot for the queen too these days it seems.

Aug 5, 2016
I have so much time for Mr Lydon. I loved his late 70's rebellion, admired his outspokeness on Jimmy Saville and I love his current rebellions too. Who would have thought that a Sex Pistol would end up voting for Trump , being anti-liberal (" liberal means being liberal with the truth" he retorted) and having little sympathy with anti-Israeli sentiment. Brilliant song, brilliant band and he's got a soft spot for the queen too these days it seems.
And advertises countrylife salted butter!

Steamer

✅ Evergreen
Oct 17, 2008
Essex
Can remember seeing them during their SPOT's tour at Woods (may have been Monroes or something by then). Great band, even Sid did his bit with a blade, his chest and some blood.

unhinched

🚑 Steve Hooper
Apr 16, 2016
Can remember seeing them during their SPOT's tour at Woods (may have been Monroes or something by then). Great band, even Sid did his bit with a blade, his chest and some blood.
I never knew they played there - although I'd have been 14. That's on a par with seeing Pele at Argyle !

Dec 30, 2004
Brighton
I was at that same gig!

And it was Woods. I used to go there a lot, pre-punk too. There was a regular DJ called Andy who was a bit of a hippy, but when punk came along he cut his hair and called himself Andy Razor. We had to laugh.

Edit: I also saw Pele at Argyle.

Last edited:
Reactions: (I'm)Stranded

Steamer

✅ Evergreen
Oct 17, 2008
Essex
Well now I am confused.

I saw the Sex Pistols in Woods but not with the Clash. It was the SPOT's tour, the one where half the gigs were banned by the local councils. I also saw the Clash but not at the Fiesta Suite. I saw them in Union Street (Castaways I think). I remember sharing some chips with Joe Strummer after the gig. Maybe it was the Fiesta Suite ... but I am sure it was down Union Street.
I also saw a band called The Saints (I think that was their name) ... there were so few people there that the lead singer came out for the second half naked ... Great times ...

Dec 30, 2004
Brighton
Well now I am confused.

I saw the Sex Pistols in Woods but not with the Clash. It was the SPOT's tour, the one where half the gigs were banned by the local councils. I also saw the Clash but not at the Fiesta Suite. I saw them in Union Street (Castaways I think). I remember sharing some chips with Joe Strummer after the gig. Maybe it was the Fiesta Suite ... but I am sure it was down Union Street.
I also saw a band called The Saints (I think that was their name) ... there were so few people there that the lead singer came out for the second half naked ... Great times ...
I had a chance to go to one of those two December 1976 gigs but I had a Christmas party the first night and then, somehow, I didn't go to the second one - I've never quite forgiven myself. The Woods gig with Sid was in August 1977 - that's the one you and I went to.

Another edit: the 1976 tour was the one that had nearly all the gigs cancelled after the infamous "Filth and the Fury" Bill Grundy appearance - Woods was one of the few venues that still went ahead, and by way of thanks the Pistols returned on their 1977 SPOTS (Sex Pistols On Tour Secretly) tour.

Steamer

✅ Evergreen
Oct 17, 2008
Essex
I had a chance to go to one of those two December 1976 gigs but I had a Christmas party the first night and then, somehow, I didn't go to the second one - I've never quite forgiven myself. The Woods gig with Sid was in August 1977 - that's the one you and I went to.

Another edit: the 1976 tour was the one that had nearly all the gigs cancelled after the infamous "Filth and the Fury" Bill Grundy appearance - Woods was one of the few venues that still went ahead, and by way of thanks the Pistols returned on their 1977 SPOTS (Sex Pistols On Tour Secretly) tour.
You know what ... 45 years ago .. and there was this young lad going to see punk bands with his mates, (I saw a lot of other bands as well, one of which was the Heavy Metal Kids with Gary Holton .. mad...) and now I am my grandfather with no hair, and grown up kids, one of which has gone down to Brixton tonight to see a band (that's Brixton London not Brixton ... little fishing village). Full circle but I reckon the Sex Pistols was a better gig than any band my son may watch in Brixton.