Goalscoring from non-strikers (not acceptable). | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Goalscoring from non-strikers (not acceptable).

up the line

🚑 Steve Hooper
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 7, 2010
Manchester
Kind of agree. Especially in those CAM positions.

This is why l thought Randell played well there. As a couple of times, one in the first half in particular, he broke beyond the forwards.

I think you need a CDM to screen the back four. So l don’t expect too many from that position. I love Camara and his energy and work rate. So it’s difficult to take him out of the side.

When your playing a 3ATB surely you need players like Camara, otherwise the opposition get so much space?

It’s a really difficult one. If we had better wing backs we wouldn’t need Mayor or Broom to create the width. Then in that position you could get a goal scoring forward.

Also what you highlighted l think explains the set piece issue we have. If we were better at set pieces then those stats might be better too.
I agree ref set piece plays. But on the caveat that they needn't be a blunt instrument...ie. a slug into the box. Teams that mix and match the delivery from set pieces and have well rehearsed training ground moves tend to score more from such situations. I'm talking about short corners or doing the unexpected from a free kick 40 yards out.

MGM

✨Pasoti Donor✨
Dec 7, 2021
I agree ref set piece plays. But on the caveat that they needn't be a blunt instrument...ie. a slug into the box. Teams that mix and match the delivery from set pieces and have well rehearsed training ground moves tend to score more from such situations. I'm talking about short corners or doing the unexpected from a free kick 40 yards out.

No agreed. If you saw the short corner routine Sunderland did on us then you can be inventive.

However, the first issue is the delivery. You get good delivery into the box and any type of defender will struggle.

Andy S

Administrator
Staff member
🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 15, 2003
I think it was a totally different type of football under Luggy1. Weren’t Wotton and Cocko our leading scorers at one point?
The thing with Wotton...he took every penalty and free kick within shooting range...he was very good at it as well. 😀

JannerinCardiff

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
♣️ SWAG Member
Jul 16, 2018
Cardiff
Bit harsh on Randell who’s not often played beyond a defensive minded position. Based on that I think Randell offers more goal threat than Pan and maybe he should retain his place in the starting lineup. Also maybe we should start either Garrick or Broom at RWB as for me Edwards has never been able to get into dangerous wide positions and deliver a cross but he had contributed last season to scoring goals. Now that his goals have dried up maybe we’d benefit from a different type of player at RWB, one that could beat a man and get dangerous balls into the box Ala Garrick or Broom.

Dec 30, 2020
Is it the players or the system?

In our 3-5-2 formation, the wide players are full backs, as well as wingers, with critical defensive responsibilities.

One central midfielder sits very deep, and the other two still have two central strikers in front of them so there isn't much space in goal scoring positions to run into.

I don't think it's a shape that enables many goals from midfield. On the other hand, none of our midfielders have particularly good goalscoring records throughout their career, so maybe their lack of eye for goal is part of the problem too.

Apr 20, 2008
Plymouth
For reference, looking at this season and previous seasons as totals and percentages:

This season: 25 of our 54 goals scored by non-forwards, 46% of total goals
2020/21: 35 of our 70 goals scored by non-forwards, 50%
2019/20: 36 of 71, 51%
2014/15: 23 of 66, 35%
2013/14: 30 of 69, 43%

Think my figures (Greens on Screen) differ slightly to UTL's probably due to pisspot games - was easier to work out just keeping them in.

Derek Adams seasons excluded as it'd be an unfair comparison given that we normally played 1 up front and the data would be skewed based on whether you would class attacking midfielders (Carey, Lameiras, Jervis etc) as "forwards" or not.

Reactions: Sparkypete