Goals (striker debate) | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Goals (striker debate)

Aug 24, 2009
Once again a very good game, we look solid in defence, Houghton allows Mayor to get on the ball and create, My problem is like our last two games who is going to score. Jephcott should have scored again, we need another striker to work alongside the three we have.

Reactions: Argylegames
Mar 8, 2011
Plymouth
Yep. The only bugbear in what's been a promising pre season so far.

But saying that we have been up against Championship defences and goalkeepers so maybe those chances start getting converted when the league starts.

Mar 23, 2013
Absolutely ..... I was thinking the same thing leaving the ground....I think all 3 are good enough for league 1....but there seems to be no structured route to goal, its if they are not working on anything and they are on there own on the pitch.

Reactions: argyleforever
Aug 10, 2006
defence looks a bit better but as you say can't see where the goal's are going to come from, no doubt Lowe will be delighted with the stats etc but at the end of the day goal's are all that matter.

Jan 30, 2016
I have said for some time now that our forwards do not offer a threat in the air - we need a tall player that can offer such a threat.

Aug 15, 2015
45 goals in 44 games last season if you take away the 4 at home to Swindon & the 4 at home to Lincoln. With no changes in personel in attacking areas, you can see us running into trouble. If Conor Grant gets injured, I've no idea who is going to create a goal or two. Edwards tends to score rather than assist. Seems to me the issue is around creating those opportunities, as I don't think we are creating enough clear cut chances for the strikers. We saw something rare today, Mayor broke through the centre on one occasion and by chance he managed to find himself in dangerous territory and played a brilliant ball through to Jephcott, who probably should have scored. It's these kinds of opportunities that we need to create more of. If you give Jephcott three of those chances a game, he will score. The thing is, we don't. We need something off the cuff rather than the predictable patterns of play between Mayor, Grant & the overlapping third centre back, or the standard balls into the channel for Hardie to chase. The strikers are usually with their backs to goal and not enough time spent facing the opposition goal.

Unfortunately, we don't have that type of player in our ranks. We don't have that mercurial talent or player who can run at defenders, turn, and ping a shot into the top corner. I think back to when we had Carey and Lameiras playing together. They would turn the game in the final third. A jinking dribble, a pass, a worldy of a strike, a cross. They didn't even need to have time on the ball, they could receive it and in one motion, they could twist and shoot or cross. They'd strike a ball into the top corner from 25 yards, no trouble. Those two had so much in their locker. Who in our team other than Grant can ping one into the top corner from 25 yards? Given Grant plays at LWB, we've no midfielder who can even do this. We've no midfielder who runs into the box and heads into the net either. It's all tippy tappy.

I thought Mayor played quite well today, and whilst he's a valuable team member, he's not the man to unlock opposing defences. I'm not sure if it's mental or if he's lost something, or if he never had it, but it's not there and it's not coming back at L1 level. We need another attacking option to unlock our play, although I've no idea where that kind of player would fit into our system, other than to replace Mayor, which Lowe is never going to do. This will be Lowe's conundrum. Isolate the threat of the wing-backs, and there's no supply for the strikers or variety in our attacking play. Could run into trouble.

Jun 16, 2021
Jephcott has had plenty of chances pre season and for whatever reason has not scored them. You have to take your chances in marginal games

In his brief purple patch last season he would mis kick it and it would still go in.

Stats and possession are meaningless unless you score 1 more than you concede

Aug 15, 2015
Jephcott has had plenty of chances pre season and for whatever reason has not scored them. You have to take your chances in marginal games

In his brief purple patch last season he would mis kick it and it would still go in.

Stats and possession are meaningless unless you score 1 more than you concede
Based on the last 3 games, I disagree. He had one today that I can think of, he had one against Middlesbrough where Camara put him through, and I can't recall anything against Swansea. Difficult to judge the one vs Middlesbrough as he was still quite far out and he had to hit it 1st time. He should have scored today. But other than that, I don't recall any chances that the midfield have engineered for him. It was the same towards the back end of last season. We were playing terribly and in many games we weren't creating a thing for our forwards.

Sep 6, 2006
Based on the last 3 games, I disagree. He had one today that I can think of, he had one against Middlesbrough where Camara put him through, and I can't recall anything against Swansea. Difficult to judge the one vs Middlesbrough as he was still quite far out and he had to hit it 1st time. He should have scored today. But other than that, I don't recall any chances that the midfield have engineered for him. It was the same towards the back end of last season. We were playing terribly and in many games we weren't creating a thing for our forwards.
Don't you think the forwards should be creating some chances themselves rather than waiting for chances to be put on a plate - which they still miss! We have to work very hard to score goals. We can't put a simple cross in to the box and get a head on it. I see Houghton historically scores very few as well.

Feb 8, 2005
Don't you think the forwards should be creating some chances themselves rather than waiting for chances to be put on a plate - which they still miss! We have to work very hard to score goals. We can't put a simple cross in to the box and get a head on it. I see Houghton historically scores very few as well.
Houghton is a midfield defender, not an attacker.

Reactions: Greendawe
Dec 3, 2005
Our defenders will help out on scoring goals.
I think we shall see a proven goalscorer arrive on loan this week.
Young Jephcott seems to have lost is touch. But Lowe needs to decide on his best two strikers and let them develop some undertanding, it took Paul Mariner and Billy Rafferty a few games to gel.

Sep 6, 2006
Houghton is a midfield defender, not an attacker.
Well aware of that. Midfielders are expected to contribute a fair share of goals you know, despite the evidence of Mayor. With those 2 not scoring and Camara not reliable I do wonder where the goals will come from.

Jul 6, 2011
Frankly Camara doesn't do it for me at all, too inconsistent. When Cooper is fit I would personally move Grant into Camaras position and Cooper to lwb or even play Randell through the middle. Coopers presence would give the strikers more goal opportunities.

Jan 16, 2010
plymouth
as others have said we need some height up front therefore i would start with hardie and ennis up top.ennis is the best player at the club.