George Cooper out for the season | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

George Cooper out for the season

Jan 27, 2012
Is his contract up this season? Hopefully. Get rid.

And yet the accepted line on PASOTI is that it was fine to give Galloway a contract- even though he is long term injured (over numerous seasons) has a short association with the club and goes off to play for Zimbabwe mid-season.

Cooper, on the other hand, is part of an Argyle promotion winning team. Before his current knee problem, he did not have a long history of injury. From what I have seen of him he is a really skilful player. I just hope he gets better and can show the Argyle fans his talents again.

Dec 23, 2010
Plymouth
And yet the accepted line on PASOTI is that it was fine to give Galloway a contract- even though he is long term injured (over numerous seasons) has a short association with the club and goes off to play for Zimbabwe mid-season.

Cooper, on the other hand, is part of an Argyle promotion winning team. Before his current knee problem, he did not have a long history of injury. From what I have seen of him he is a really skilful player. I just hope he gets better and can show the Argyle fans his talents again.

I wasn’t particularly happy with offering an injury prone player an 18 month contract when he’s only going to be able to play for 12 of those 18 months.

We aren’t a charity, we can’t afford to carry injured / injury prone players in our squad with our already limited budget compared to the bigger teams in this league.

Saying that, seen as George Cooper is contracted until 2023, I hope he recovers well and contributes lots of goals and assists next season just like he did in L2 when fully fit.

JannerinCardiff

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
♣️ SWAG Member
Jul 16, 2018
Cardiff
Really sorry for George, he was brilliant as the 'Assist King prior to injuries something like 14 assists in one season if I correctly recall.

Looking at the current squad a place I can see George Cooper fitting in the team is at RM as an attacking option when we need a goal. He's creative and genuinely has got two feet and could overlap the RWB (which I believe might address the lack of natural right sided width - the weakest part of our team imo) and provide a cross with either foot and I also thought he'd be useful to be able to cut inside and score with his stronger left foot. I know we've got Pan and Randell playing RM at the moment, but I'm hoping in the longer term that Randell will compete for the RWB spot.

Reactions: chester

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
I hope he recovers well and contributes lots of goals and assists next season just like he did in L2 when fully fit.

From what position though? I'd love him to see him come into the team and do well, but as I said in my earlier post, I can't see him getting into our team (other than us an impact sub) unless we radically change our formation/system.

JannerinCardiff

♣️ SWAG Member
Jul 16, 2018
Cardiff
From what position though? I'd love him to see him come into the team and do well, but as I said in my earlier post, I can't see him getting into our team (other than us an impact sub) unless we radically change our formation/system.

RM as an impact sub I mentioned above.

mutley marvel

Cream First
✅ Evergreen
Feb 13, 2021
Gutted for George- it must be a very lonely place for a footballer having a long term injury & then having a further injury set back
Our club will look after him & i look forward to seeing him back fully recovered & raring to go

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
RM as an impact sub I mentioned above.

Depends if he’d be happy with that I, and also whether the club are happy to continue paying what is likely to be a high wage for an impact sub. I’d love to see him do well for us, again I want to see him do well, I’m just struggling to see where he fits.

Last edited:
Reactions: MWG

Daz

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
Pasoti Quiz Champions
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 30, 2003
I think watching him running like he was in treacle at Rochdale will be a concern for the management team. That worried me.

Jun 27, 2021
Get rid.. sometimes people need to just be a little more respectful.. the lad has a contract and got injured playing for us, i for one hope he has a speedy recovery and can assess him once he’s back and hopefully got a preseason behind him. As wether he’s good enough for the first team if fit, I’d say not starting 11 at present but not a bad option for back up in both wing back or cm, would he be happy with that tho.

Reactions: Rowlypilgrim

JannerinCardiff

♣️ SWAG Member
Jul 16, 2018
Cardiff
Depends if he’d be happy with that I, and also whether the club are happy to continue paying what is likely to be a high wage for an impact sub. I’d love to see him do well for us, again I want to see him do well, I’m just struggling to see where he fits.
Yeah fair enough, I think we have just improved since the last time he had a good run in the side so his opportunities are now more limited.

Reactions: Cobi Budge

JannerinCardiff

♣️ SWAG Member
Jul 16, 2018
Cardiff
I think watching him running like he was in treacle at Rochdale will be a concern for the management team. That worried me.
He was probably carry an injury or wasn’t match fit to be fair to George.

Lancastergreen

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿
Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
Jan 12, 2017
Plymouth
Funny how one minute we are a club who look after our own, a community club but in an instant the attitude changes to get rid, he's rubbish blah blah.
He's a professional footballer assigned to Plymouth Argyle, we should be supporting him whilst he attempts to recover from something that could potentially ruin his career.
Binning someone off because they have an injury, regardless of his wage is in no way supportive and those who think that is the right attitude should go take their head for a wobble, stand in the corner and have a re think.

Daz

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
Pasoti Quiz Champions
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 30, 2003
Funny how one minute we are a club who look after our own, a community club but in an instant the attitude changes to get rid, he's rubbish blah blah.
He's a professional footballer assigned to Plymouth Argyle, we should be supporting him whilst he attempts to recover from something that could potentially ruin his career.
Binning someone off because they have an injury, regardless of his wage is in no way supportive and those who think that is the right attitude should go take their head for a wobble, stand in the corner and have a re think.
One person has said get rid. Everyone else has been supportive. One person doesn't change anything of what you said in your first line.