Funniest Argyle moment | Page 9 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Funniest Argyle moment

Ardiles getting Marker'd on his Blackburn debut, fair to say not a lot of empathy from the lyndie and 'Ossies going home in a Devon (private) ambulance' and 'Bring on the posh dustbin' made me chuckle.
About 15-20 years ago I sat next to Nicky Marker at a pre-match dinner. He reminded me that the tackle was considered fair, and he never received a yellow card, although it did finish Ardiles’ playing career. He also admitted to me that he made a point of getting a crunch tackle in early, because it definitely affected opposition strikers confidence for the rest of the game.

Reactions: Mexijan1

Dazzy3000

✅ Evergreen
Dec 3, 2008
Surely at least one other person will remember Arthur Rutter tripping over his shoelaces in the 1914/15 season? Remember it like it was yesterday.

• Haha
Reactions: Mark58
Mar 30, 2006
Plymouth
Roger Milford (referee) affectionally known as 'Starsky' by Argyle fans. Forget the match, but Argyle fans were singing: 'Who's the w*nker in the black?' Roger Milford smiled and immediately pointed to the linesman! The crowd roared with laughter!
Remember that well, he made sure his back was to the Mayflower where the referee assessor sat and so could he could not see what he did.
Was a brilliant ref, all the players respected him and I think he used to call them by their first names and usually with a smile. He had a good rapport with the crowd and the club used him for friendlies and testimonials.
I remember one against Spurs with a young Gazza playing and Roger applauded him when he was substituted.

Reactions: RoryGreen
Mar 30, 2024
Remember that well, he made sure his back was to the Mayflower where the referee assessor sat and so could he could not see what he did.
Was a brilliant ref, all the players respected him and I think he used to call them by their first names and usually with a smile. He had a good rapport with the crowd and the club used him for friendlies and testimonials.
I remember one against Spurs with a young Gazza playing and Roger applauded him when he was substituted.
Yes, you are right! The linesman was in charge of the Devonport End half of the pitch on the Lyndhurst side. Roger Milford was definitely a celebrity ref at Home Park - even the apparently angered chants against him were half in jest! I remember reading that he enjoyed refereeing at Home Park because of his rapport with the crowd. I don't think he ever admitted to knowing why he was nicknamed 'Starsky'. I think he was rather conceited really....

Reactions: Andy Moore