• Welcome to PASOTI (Sponsored by GA Solictors and Lang & Potter)

Floodlights

Jul 6, 2005
Looking over from the Lyndhurst yesterday, it was really good to finally see supporters on the other side of the Ground for a 1st Team match. Although sparsely populated, it made a big difference to the atmosphere to be no longer playing in a 3-sided stadium. It should improve further once more people are on the Mayflower.

What was also noticeable now that we are approaching the darkest days of the winter was the poor standard of lighting on the Grandstand side, particularly the area around the new Dug-outs extending either side of the halfway line. The lighting up to about the first block and a half from each end is OK but the middle third is quite shadowy.

The light gantry on the roof at the Barn Park end is obviously intended to be located on the side of the pitch, with the light directed downwards. But they have angled the lights so that the light is directed down the pitch towards the halfway line which makes them glare if you are sat in the Devonport End. But these lights are not designed to light up that far an area. The corner flag area is also shadowy at the BP end.

Even though it is quite ugly, the lamp post at the Devonport End is slightly more effective because it has 2 additional lights halfway up the pole which are pointed at the corner flag, but once you look past the white ‘L’ in the seating towards the halfway line, the general lighting is also quite poor.

It’s a pity they couldn’t add lighting down the side of the pitch of the same quality as the Lyndhurst side. In the original 2002 redevelopment of all four sides at HP it was planned to have lighting down each side of the pitch, but that died the death when the Grandstand replacement failed to materialise.

No doubt the floodlights comfortably meet the minimum requirements, but that’s not very high as anyone who has watched a night game at Saltash or Liskeard will confirm.

Upgrading the floodlights is probably on the Argyle to-do list when finances permit.

Willis88

50/50 Sponsor
Jan 17, 2017
Bovey Tracey
I'm pretty sure the lighting wasnt added to the Mayflower roof as it would have been too heavy and probably impossible to service.

I did notice that the BP lights were giving quite a lot of glare where is was in block 8.

Would be interesting to think it affected they players in any way.

If not, suppose it doesn't matter if the EFL are happy.

Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
I went to St. Mary's Stadium recently and was very impressed with how they "hide" the lighting in the front edge off the roof. Even if you looked straight into each lamp there was no glare into your face. Obviously this is a fairly new stadium but it must have been well thought through when designing the place.

Aug 21, 2008
Plymouth
Lundan Cabbie":3oe7oro2 said:
I went to St. Mary's Stadium recently and was very impressed with how they "hide" the lighting in the front edge off the roof. Even if you looked straight into each lamp there was no glare into your face. Obviously this is a fairly new stadium but it must have been well thought through when designing the place.

Unlike Home Park.

The lights on the roof of the Barn Park End still give glare where I sit in block nine.

I've emailed the club several times but nothing changes.

Jan 4, 2005
NEWQUAY
Lundan Cabbie":1y75sia1 said:

It predates HP so the lighting facility would have been available for HP during the recent restoration.