Fleetwood v Argyle Match Thread | Page 27 | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Fleetwood v Argyle Match Thread

MGM

✨Pasoti Donor✨
Dec 7, 2021
There's now nearly 250 more responses on this thread than there was on the Barnsley one!

There isn’t a brief synopsis thread like there was for the Barnsley game so it inflates the number of comments in this one.

Jannerz

🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Jul 30, 2022
The 5 subs rule is yet again another EFL initiative that stacks things in favour of the bigger budget clubs. I think we see this manifested in all aspects of football, including the long standing media bias towards traditionally bigger clubs. I would have thought the ethos of the EFL and the FA would be to create a more level playing field, which makes the game more attractive across the board. But no, commercial interests have become the hidden agenda in the shadows of corporate and institutional operations, including betting syndicates. There's potentially a lot of corruption in the industry, Blatter and Platini are just the tip of a big iceberg, as global corporatism has taken over the game. It seems 'they' don't want well run aspiring 'smaller' clubs to succeed, and when we manage to get one step forward, they contrive something to put us two steps back. imo

Last edited:

MGM

✨Pasoti Donor✨
Dec 7, 2021
The 5 subs rule is yet again another EFL initiative that stacks things in favour of the bigger budget clubs. I think we see this manifested in all aspect of football, including the media bias towards traditionally bigger clubs. I would have thought the ethos of the EFL and the FA would be to create a more level playing field, which makes the game more attractive across the board. But no, commercial interests have become the hidden agenda in the shadows of corporate and institutional operations, including betting syndicates. It seems 'they' don't want well run aspiring 'smaller' clubs to succeed, and when we manage to get one step forward, they contrive something to put us two steps back. imo

You could argue parachute payments ruined the chances of success for smaller clubs.

I will be astonished if the super league isn’t coming back. We already have a stupidly expanded champions league so we aren’t far away.

Reactions: Jannerz

Jannerz

🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Jul 30, 2022
You could argue parachute payments ruined the chances of success for smaller clubs.

I will be astonished if the super league isn’t coming back. We already have a stupidly expanded champions league so we aren’t far away.
Yes, parachute payments to me, are like an insurance scheme and puts a brick wall between the bigger clubs and the rest. Our only hope is by skill, judgement and quite a bit of luck, one season it all goes in our favour and we go up (Simon's only realistic strategy). Then like Posh and Rotherham the parachute scheme allows us to yoyo up and down indefinitely. Or we do what they really want and thats find billionaire corporate investors to pump mega millions into the club and join their 'big club'.

MGM

✨Pasoti Donor✨
Dec 7, 2021
Yes, parachute payments are like an insurance scheme and puts a brick wall between the bigger clubs and the rest. Our only hope is by skill, judgement and quite a bit of luck, one season it all goes in our favour and we go up (Simon's only realistic strategy). Then like Posh and Rotherham the parachute scheme allows us to yoyo up and down indefinitely. Or we do what they really want and thats find billionaire corporate investors to pump mega millions into the club and join their 'big club'.

l thought the some of people within Argyle green were billionaires? Or was that not correct?

Reactions: Jannerz

Jannerz

🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Jul 30, 2022
l thought the some of people within Argyle green were billionaires? Or was that not correct?
That's what I'm alluding to really. Simon's sustainable strategy is morally and ethically laudible and we all are behind it. But we know in the long term that isn't enough to beat their 'game'. Do we end up another club who sells out to greed and ambition at all costs? Personally, I don't want that, but for any club like ours I'm not sure that we can prevent it. American investors won't just settle for the status quo imo. For me the underlying issue now is ethics, we can either go one way or the other. It will become increasingly harder for Simon to hold them off. I know some fans will welcome it. It seems like going off topic, but in a smaller way the Fleetwood vs Argyle wages scenario is a glimpse of what we're up against. coyg

Last edited:

JannerinCardiff

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
♣️ SWAG Member
Jul 16, 2018
Cardiff
If I was a Bristol City fan I would be really impressed how Steve Lansdowne has invested heavily in the facilities at Ashton Gate. City even managed to receive transfer income of an eye watering £52m in transfer in one season. Whilst they have been close a couple of times where they are failing is to match that investment and transfer income strategy is with a team management strategy - their choice of manager always seems to be knee jerk reactionary rather than to a committed plan. I can't help thinking that if they had that they would be a Premiership team now.

On the other point in this tread - the SCMP for League One and Two was abandoned after the EFL tried to impose total salary caps, instead, that bore no relation to turnover. From memory I think the League One cap was £2.5m - but the PFA successfully were able to claim it was illegal. Ironically, if the reports are correct Argyle would have complied more or less with the proposed cap of £2.5m. They were right to oppose it and instead have a self-imposed percentage of turnover in line with their financial principles.

I thought the SMCP threshold for L1 was 60% of turnover and 55% for L2.??

Reactions: Quintrell Green

JannerinCardiff

♣️ SWAG Member
Jul 16, 2018
Cardiff

Yes they could well be.

The Doctor

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 15, 2003
Plymouth
andapoet.blog
Well those who read PASOTI many years ago will remember a poster called Mike Salisbury (I think) telling (lecturing ;)) us that if we didn't make it into the top tier then we never ever would. The discussion then was all about how the Premier League and Championship finances were about to be stacked in favour of the teams already up there and how things like parachute payments would mean a club like Argyle would forever be at such a disadvantage that we'd be destined to stay down at exactly the level we're at now (without huge external investment). It was something like that anyway. It might have been around the time that one of the TV deals was renegotiated and the allocation of money between divisions altered and it was probably amidst a debate about how much money was being spent on the squad in comparison to other teams. Anyway, all I am saying is that surely no-one can really be surprised that we are where we are and that other (bigger, ex-Prem teams) have a massive advantage over us even after they have fallen on relatively hard times (because they have bigger fanbases, better infrastructure etc and so are still more attractive to those with money).

Reactions: Jannerz and smudja

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
I’m not sure that is correct.

The FA's rules on shirts are as follows:

• The two teams must wear colours that distinguish them from each other and the match officials
  • Each goalkeeper must wear colours that are distinguishable from the other players and the match officials
  • If the two goalkeepers’ shirts are the same colour and neither has another shirt, the referee allows the match to be played.
The priorities of kits are ranked as follows:

• M.22.1. 1st priority: the outfield players of the home club who shall wear their home strip;
  • M.22.2. 2nd priority: the outfield players of the visiting club;
  • M.22.3. 3rd priority: the home club goalkeeper;
  • M.22.4. 4th priority: the visiting club goalkeeper.
I did say that I don't know which protocols the EFL follow. The PL have their own competition rules to follow, which are not necessarily in tandem with those of the FA.

Swaz

♣️ PASALB Member
Jan 25, 2011
bishops stortford
Well those who read PASOTI many years ago will remember a poster called Mike Salisbury (I think) telling (lecturing ;)) us that if we didn't make it into the top tier then we never ever would. The discussion then was all about how the Premier League and Championship finances were about to be stacked in favour of the teams already up there and how things like parachute payments would mean a club like Argyle would forever be at such a disadvantage that we'd be destined to stay down at exactly the level we're at now (without huge external investment). It was something like that anyway. It might have been around the time that one of the TV deals was renegotiated and the allocation of money between divisions altered and it was probably amidst a debate about how much money was being spent on the squad in comparison to other teams. Anyway, all I am saying is that surely no-one can really be surprised that we are where we are and that other (bigger, ex-Prem teams) have a massive advantage over us even after they have fallen on relatively hard times (because they have bigger fanbases, better infrastructure etc and so are still more attractive to those with money).
Just can't understand how Bournemouth have made it though, after all those years below us in Division 4. And now Premier League with their bigger fanbase 😉 and after falling on financial difficulties a few years ago.

Oct 15, 2017
Of course it is, Clive has an agenda.

I don't know Clive or his agenda if he has one but I do know that the queues and the congestion in the Lynhurst with fans standing around drinking eating and watching the tv screens are as bad as ever, it's particularly bad between blocks 10 and 16.

JannerinCardiff

♣️ SWAG Member
Jul 16, 2018
Cardiff