• Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Fleetwood v Argyle Match Thread

memory man

✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
To be fair I don’t know the protocol in the EFL but in the Premier League the home GK is not obligated to change his registered kit to suit the opposition except as a last resort. For instance, a club having a yellow home GK kit do not have to change it to play Wolves at home. Wolves must change their outfield strip. Only if the referee isn’t happy with a clash using 2nd and 3rd strips will he ask the home GK to change.
Well, I live and learn. I suppose in some ways it's part of the unreal extravagance of the PL - why chang one jersey when you can change 14 or 15 others.

• Haha
Reactions: Lundan Cabbie

The Doctor

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 15, 2003
Plymouth
andapoet.blog
I think we all tend to get kidded a bit when we play Fleetwood - it feels like they are a 'little' side, fairly fresh out of non-league with a small ground, poor facilities and a playing budget to match whereas, in fact, they have spent far more on their playing squad than Argyle for some years. Even when you KNOW this it's still difficult not to see them as a little club that we 'should' be beating. For me, a great illustration of this is that they started Saturday's game with Ellis Harrison and Callum Morton in attack - two strikers who many, if not most, Argyle fans would be VERY excited about if WE had been the team that signed them (or just one of them even).

May 22, 2006
If I was a Bristol City fan I would be really impressed how Steve Lansdowne has invested heavily in the facilities at Ashton Gate. City even managed to receive transfer income of an eye watering £52m in transfer in one season. Whilst they have been close a couple of times where they are failing is to match that investment and transfer income strategy is with a team management strategy - their choice of manager always seems to be knee jerk reactionary rather than to a committed plan. I can't help thinking that if they had that they would be a Premiership team now.

On the other point in this tread - the SCMP for League One and Two was abandoned after the EFL tried to impose total salary caps, instead, that bore no relation to turnover. From memory I think the League One cap was £2.5m - but the PFA successfully were able to claim it was illegal. Ironically, if the reports are correct Argyle would have complied more or less with the proposed cap of £2.5m. They were right to oppose it and instead have a self-imposed percentage of turnover in line with their financial principles.
If I was a Bristol City fan I would be worried that Steve Lansdowne is willing to sell everything. With the complexities of ties to Bristol Rugby and Bristol Sport, it could get messy. A whole range of sports opportunites could be of interest to a wide range of people, including those not necessarily worried about the feelings of Bristolians but seeing an opportunity to monetarise.

Jul 27, 2011
St Austell
So lets resign ourselves to staying put because we cannot compete financially! SH set a five year plan to make it to the Championship and we seem to be on track.
We will always be competing against wealthier clubs,
that 's life, but this defeatist attitude surprises even me!
Yep, agreed. Even if we were in the Conference we would be competing against wealthier teams!!

Sep 18, 2010
To be fair I don’t know the protocol in the EFL but in the Premier League the home GK is not obligated to change his registered kit to suit the opposition except as a last resort. For instance, a club having a yellow home GK kit do not have to change it to play Wolves at home. Wolves must change their outfield strip. Only if the referee isn’t happy with a clash using 2nd and 3rd strips will he ask the home GK to change.
I’m not sure that is correct.

The FA's rules on shirts are as follows:

• The two teams must wear colours that distinguish them from each other and the match officials
  • Each goalkeeper must wear colours that are distinguishable from the other players and the match officials
  • If the two goalkeepers’ shirts are the same colour and neither has another shirt, the referee allows the match to be played.
The priorities of kits are ranked as follows:

• M.22.1. 1st priority: the outfield players of the home club who shall wear their home strip;
  • M.22.2. 2nd priority: the outfield players of the visiting club;
  • M.22.3. 3rd priority: the home club goalkeeper;
  • M.22.4. 4th priority: the visiting club goalkeeper.

May 8, 2011
Last time I was in the Lyndhurst (last winter I think) it was a total transformation from when I'd last been in there. Flat screen TVs, new bars, retail kiosk and branding up and down the concourse. And contactless payment implemented too, which makes things easier and modern and helps queues... though aware there are still issues with that, from other threads.

Is that not the case?
You previous visit must have been a long time ago as everything you said have been in place for a number of years.

May 8, 2011
After the Fleetwood game I went back to their supporters bar and Scott Brown and Rooney came in.
They bought everyone in there a drink.
As the saying goes ‘every cloud has a silver lining’.

MGM

✨Pasoti Donor✨
Dec 7, 2021
If I was a Bristol City fan I would be really impressed how Steve Lansdowne has invested heavily in the facilities at Ashton Gate. City even managed to receive transfer income of an eye watering £52m in transfer in one season. Whilst they have been close a couple of times where they are failing is to match that investment and transfer income strategy is with a team management strategy - their choice of manager always seems to be knee jerk reactionary rather than to a committed plan. I can't help thinking that if they had that they would be a Premiership team now.

On the other point in this tread - the SCMP for League One and Two was abandoned after the EFL tried to impose total salary caps, instead, that bore no relation to turnover. From memory I think the League One cap was £2.5m - but the PFA successfully were able to claim it was illegal. Ironically, if the reports are correct Argyle would have complied more or less with the proposed cap of £2.5m. They were right to oppose it and instead have a self-imposed percentage of turnover in line with their financial principles.

l am impressed with his investment but imagine pumping that much money into the club and your still chasing shadows. Whether it’s down to the wrong choice of manager l don’t know. All l see is a significant advantage for parachute payment teams but hopefully the EFL will be ending this with a financial restructure. It’s not healthy that Norwich, Fulham, Watford keep yo-yoing back up and down the leagues each season. That to me shows how budgets can provide a significant advantage.

Dont get be wrong. I’m happy we are run correctly and in-line what we can afford. But when clubs like Ipswich & Sheffield Wednesday have significant wage cap that almost 4 times our level then you have to hold your hands up and say over a 46 game season that gives us a real disadvantage to compete. Even your Portsmouth’s & Bolton’s have significant wage spend over us. And there is us losing to Fleetwood. Which we are disappointed about but when you put it into perspective a 3,000 crowd club is competing with us on equal financial footing. That shows how difficult it l feel in our current situation.

Maybe two / three years down the line it will be slightly different but at this moment we have to maximise every penny in the transfer market where not every signing will work and then hope we not get too many injuries to key players. Where as some of these other teams have more quality throughout their squad because of the wages they can spend on players.

Reactions: saxman

MGM

✨Pasoti Donor✨
Dec 7, 2021
Does refurbishment without increased capacity help turnover?

Well l thought our refurbished stand helps with turnover and this was even when we lost seats in the upper mayflower. I thought that’s why we spent money on it. To generate more income and money that can be then used on playing squad.

Maybe lm wrong.

memory man

✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
Well l thought our refurbished stand helps with turnover and this was even when we lost seats in the upper mayflower. I thought that’s why we spent money on it. To generate more income and money that can be then used on playing squad.

Maybe lm wrong.
No I don't think you are but with what we've already done, in direct comparison to what they are doing, then I believe from what I read locally (I live in Hampshire) they are no further ahead of us than they alresdy were. When I was at Accrington last season, their historian showed me around their (then) soon to be finished corporate area. Its now open and its a tremendous facility. They will be getting closer now to the rest emphasising your point.

Reactions: MGM
Jul 12, 2016
l am impressed with his investment but imagine pumping that much money into the club and your still chasing shadows. Whether it’s down to the wrong choice of manager l don’t know. All l see is a significant advantage for parachute payment teams but hopefully the EFL will be ending this with a financial restructure. It’s not healthy that Norwich, Fulham, Watford keep yo-yoing back up and down the leagues each season. That to me shows how budgets can provide a significant advantage.

Dont get be wrong. I’m happy we are run correctly and in-line what we can afford. But when clubs like Ipswich & Sheffield Wednesday have significant wage cap that almost 4 times our level then you have to hold your hands up and say over a 46 game season that gives us a real disadvantage to compete. Even your Portsmouth’s & Bolton’s have significant wage spend over us. And there is us losing to Fleetwood. Which we are disappointed about but when you put it into perspective a 3,000 crowd club is competing with us on equal financial footing. That shows how difficult it l feel in our current situation.

Maybe two / three years down the line it will be slightly different but at this moment we have to maximise every penny in the transfer market where not every signing will work and then hope we not get too many injuries to key players. Where as some of these other teams have more quality throughout their squad because of the wages they can spend on players

Remind me where we finished last season. Higher than Portsmouth and Bolton and ultimately Sheffield Wednesday were no better off

MGM

✨Pasoti Donor✨
Dec 7, 2021
No I don't think you are but with what we've already done, in direct comparison to what they are doing, then I believe from what I read locally (I live in Hampshire) they are no further ahead of us than they alresdy were. When I was at Accrington last season, their historian showed me around their (then) soon to be finished corporate area. Its now open and its a tremendous facility. They will be getting closer now to the rest emphasising your point.

See my point l guess is from the stated wages last year (in another thread) they were already significantly paying more.

So from my point of view, they are paying out on infrastructure like we are, so surely whilst we are closing the gap on some there are other clubs that are making significant improvements too.

I guess my point is these clubs aren’t standing still either whilst Argyle go ahead with their plans.

MGM

✨Pasoti Donor✨
Dec 7, 2021
Remind me where we finished last season. Higher than Portsmouth and Bolton and ultimately Sheffield Wednesday were no better off

l get that. But we tailed off badly where clubs like Sheffield Wednesday and Sunderland overtook us in the end. Their strength in depth of their squad must of been a significant help to them to achieve this.

I honestly don’t think we got a bad team. But when you have 5 subs and you see some of these other teams calibre of substitutions it can only be a benefit surely.