F1 2022 | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

F1 2022

Dec 30, 2004
Brighton
I'm just watching the testing in Bahrain and wondering, like everyone else, how on earth Mercedes are managing with their almost non-existent side pods.

Interesting times: possibly the most radical change in regs ever; ground effect back for the first time since the 80s; cars that look significantly different from last year to meet the new requirements - and even, to an extent, look quite different from each other! Makes a nice change.

Oh, but guess what? I've just checked the BBC website to find that Christian Horner is already complaining.

Formula 1 testing: Red Bull unhappy with Mercedes upgrade in Bahrain

Steamer

✅ Evergreen
Oct 17, 2008
Essex
I really want to like Christian Horner, especially as I find out he's married to the juiciest Spice Girl but he is just like his No 1 driver ... unpleasant. Oh well, I guess we all need a pantomime bad boy ...

Reactions: Brussels Bureaucrat

GreenThing

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 13, 2003
Plymouth
Horner is only saying what Mercedes would do if the situation was reversed. Last year it was Merc protesting the Red Bull rear wing.

Apr 20, 2008
Plymouth
It's that time again!

What a fascinating season this could be. I'm realistic enough to know that the incredible drama of 2021 is very unlikely to be matched every year, but with these rule changes, Russell in at Merc, and (potentially) Ferrari being back on the pace could lead to a great battle. Hopefully.

I thankfully did pretty well in last year's pre-season predictions, albeit this year is tougher to call. To have a (not very) educated stab at the constructors order...

1 Red Bull
2 Ferrari
3 Mercedes
4 McLaren
5 Alpine
6 Aston Martin
7 Alpha Tauri
8 Alfa Romeo
9 Williams
10 Haas

Not exactly wild changes in the order, but I just can't see that there will be. Merc are really talking themselves down, but then they always do. They surely won't be lower than 3rd. I can't see that Alpha Tauri will have as good pace as they did last year. And Haas may well have a quicker car than AR and Williams, but those teams have better drivers imo to pick up the scraps of points on offer.

To take a similarly uneducated stab at the WDC order:

1 Verstappen
2 Leclerc
3 Sainz
4 Hamilton
5 Perez
6 Norris
7 Russell
8 Alonso
9 Ricciardo
10 Ocon

Bring it on!

Reactions: GreenThing
Aug 5, 2016
I really want to like Christian Horner, especially as I find out he's married to the juiciest Spice Girl but he is just like his No 1 driver ... unpleasant. Oh well, I guess we all need a pantomime bad boy ...
He seems strangely psycopathic to me. His sense of emotions and reactions is very odd, almost unnatural. Can't say I like him at all.

Brussels Bureaucrat

Cream First
✅ Evergreen
Jun 16, 2017
Ixelles/The City of Plymouth

It was always Emma Bunton for me, personally.

Really looking forward to this season. Hopefully the Ferraris will be back at the sharp end, Sainz and Leclerc are both absolute quality and it would be fantastic to see them challenging Max and Lewis. Hopefully it doesn't take too long for young Mr Russell to settle in, this will be a very interesting year for him.

I've got tickets for Spa-Francorchamps this year - hope the weather is somewhat better than last season...

Reactions: Steamer

Brussels Bureaucrat

Cream First
✅ Evergreen
Jun 16, 2017
Ixelles/The City of Plymouth
It's that time again!

What a fascinating season this could be. I'm realistic enough to know that the incredible drama of 2021 is very unlikely to be matched every year, but with these rule changes, Russell in at Merc, and (potentially) Ferrari being back on the pace could lead to a great battle. Hopefully.

I thankfully did pretty well in last year's pre-season predictions, albeit this year is tougher to call. To have a (not very) educated stab at the constructors order...

1 Red Bull
2 Ferrari
3 Mercedes
4 McLaren
5 Alpine
6 Aston Martin
7 Alpha Tauri
8 Alfa Romeo
9 Williams
10 Haas

Not exactly wild changes in the order, but I just can't see that there will be. Merc are really talking themselves down, but then they always do. They surely won't be lower than 3rd. I can't see that Alpha Tauri will have as good pace as they did last year. And Haas may well have a quicker car than AR and Williams, but those teams have better drivers imo to pick up the scraps of points on offer.

To take a similarly uneducated stab at the WDC order:

1 Verstappen
2 Leclerc
3 Sainz
4 Hamilton
5 Perez
6 Norris
7 Russell
8 Alonso
9 Ricciardo
10 Ocon

Bring it on!

I think Haas might have a half-decent season this year, especially now that idiot Mazepin has been given his marching orders.

Apr 20, 2008
Plymouth
I think Haas might have a half-decent season this year, especially now that idiot Mazepin has been given his marching orders.
I hope they improve, and I think they'll drag themselves closer to the rest of the pack (as Williams did between 2019 and 2020) - but they were so far off the pace last year, I just can't see them recovering that much of the gap.

Ignoring Mazepin (as you say and I totally agree, he's an idiot who never should have been in F1 in the first place)... their gap to just getting into Q2 in the final races was 1.0 in Brazil, 0.6 in Qatar, 1.4 in Saudi and 0.7 in Abu Dhabi. I can't see them having clawed that back over the winter.

GreenThing

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 13, 2003
Plymouth
I hope they improve, and I think they'll drag themselves closer to the rest of the pack (as Williams did between 2019 and 2020) - but they were so far off the pace last year, I just can't see them recovering that much of the gap.

Ignoring Mazepin (as you say and I totally agree, he's an idiot who never should have been in F1 in the first place)... their gap to just getting into Q2 in the final races was 1.0 in Brazil, 0.6 in Qatar, 1.4 in Saudi and 0.7 in Abu Dhabi. I can't see them having clawed that back over the winter.
I’m not too sure that it’s as clear cut as that. Haas decided to not develop a new car for 2020, but start early on the new regulations car for 2021. That was put back a year so last year they were effectively running a 2019 car with holes cut in it to comply with the regulations. Other teams were running 2020 cars which were still being developed. This year Haas have a new car with an extra year of development on it. It won’t make them win contenders, but I expect them to be ahead of Alfa Romeo and also into Q2 on a fairly regular basis. Loosing the Russian money might have an effect and they might slip back as the year progresses as others spend on their car.

GreenThing

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 13, 2003
Plymouth
Super sub Hulkenburg is in for Vettel who has tested positive for covid. I wonder when he’ll be the first driver to drive for all teams on the grid? 😂

Feb 24, 2009
Paignton, Devon
With all the tech changes it's still not clear if any one team has the jump on any of the others although Red Bull are looking strong at the moment, but early days.

Re the drivers, my money is on Verstappen. Having won the inaugural Michael Massi Cup I see him going one step further in 2022 where he WINS his first drivers championship.

Sep 13, 2003
So what do we take from the first race then?
The cars looks able to follow through the corners - should make some of more dull circuits like Catalunya more interesting.
Ferrari look fast, consistent and reliable..... there is always a mistake in LeClerc and the Ferrari pit wall strategy is always questionable so should keep it interesting between Charles and Carlos.

I wouldn't write off Red Bull, if it wasn't for the gremlins they could have won this race. Very unfortunate. Mercedes were slow and very lucky... anyone remember the 2009 season when an awful McLaren took 3rd position in Melbourne (and subsequently was stripped due to 'liegate')? Feels similar to that. The only good thing for Mercedes is many of the teams in the field are Mercedes powered and were way down the field. It's going to be a long season for the British drivers, especially Norris.

smudja

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Dec 29, 2005
Glenrothes
Laughed when the fake king had to retire.. Great to see Ferrari winning can only make the season more interesting.