Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 13, 2003
Plymouth
I agree that the stewards are getting out of control and that racing incidents are now a thing of the past. Look at the penalty for George Russell in sprint qualifying for example. There is no such thing as a simple mistake or misjudgment any more.

But going back to the Lewis-Max thing, it was Lewis’ fault. The is no braking zone there and Lewis has to ensure that he hits the apex else there will be a collision. He got it right against Charlie and farked it up against Max. Also going in Lewis’ favour against Charlie is that his car was a lot faster than the Ferrari so there wasn’t going to be a fight.

Andy S

Administrator
Staff member
🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 15, 2003
I agree that the stewards are getting out of control and that racing incidents are now a thing of the past. Look at the penalty for George Russell in sprint qualifying for example. There is no such thing as a simple mistake or misjudgment any more.

But going back to the Lewis-Max thing, it was Lewis’ fault. The is no braking zone there and Lewis has to ensure that he hits the apex else there will be a collision. He got it right against Charlie and farked it up against Max. Also going in Lewis’ favour against Charlie is that his car was a lot faster than the Ferrari so there wasn’t going to be a fight.
We'll agree to disagree Keith. It will be interesting to see what Verstappen's attitude is at the next GP. He will be like a bull to a red rag and expect everyone to kow tow to him. I can't stand him nor the whole Red Bull Racing outfit...Worldwide!

Last edited:
Reactions: Ponty

Ponty

English and proud of it
Staff member
R.I.P
Sep 27, 2006
Plymouth
We'll agree to disagree Keith. It will be interesting to see what Verstappen's attitude is at the next GP. He will be like a bull to a red rag and expect everyone to kow tow to him. I can't stand him nor the whole Red Bull Racing outfit...Worldwide!
Ditto.

In my opinion Verstappen turned into Hamilton. Am i biased?? Of course, I'll always support a fellow Brit.

Dec 30, 2004
Brighton
As the Hungarian GP weekend gets under way I must say that I'm thoroughly bored with this whole Max/Lewis thing, and surprised and disappointed that RB have behaved so much like a dog with a bone, even to the point of trying to get the stewards to strengthen the penalty by forcing a review yesterday - which was dismissed pretty smartly. As part of their submission they even had details of how Alex Albon had "re-enacted the incident" four days later! What on earth was that supposed to prove? It was hardly independent evidence, was it? All a bit desperate, by the sound of it.

The stewards were even moved to remark that some of the RB allegations were noted with "some concern" - presumably down to RB scraping the barrel with their new "evidence", and calling Mercedes', and Hamilton's, sporting integrity into question, as Verstappen himself is still doing.

It's all got pretty tasteless, I must say, although one thing is for sure: the phony war is over and the gloves are now off, and this time it's between two different teams rather than intra-team, as it was with Hamilton v Rosberg and Prost v Senna at McLaren, for instance.

How many more times are they going to come together this season, I wonder? Should be fun for us all to watch, anyway!

Ponty

English and proud of it
Staff member
R.I.P
Sep 27, 2006
Plymouth
Bottas turn today... another racing accident in the wet on the first lap.

Red Bull being given plenty of time to repair Verstappens car though...
Why has the red flag lasted so long? The track officials only had to clear debris.

Dec 30, 2004
Brighton
What a race. We'll never know if Hamilton would have cruised to a win if he'd come in for slicks as the rest of the field did immediately after the restart, but how boring would that have been compared to what actually happened? Amazing.

Dec 30, 2004
Brighton
Ooh, ouch! Vettel disqualified for not having enough fuel at the end of the race. That promotes Hamilton to second and Verstappen to ninth, which is even worse for RB because Hamilton gains three points to Verstappen's one. Double ouch!

Great news for Williams, though: ten vital points rather than six.

GreenThing

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 13, 2003
Plymouth
How poor is Hamilton? Started first on a grid of one and finished 3rd 😀

Dec 30, 2004
Brighton
I love races like that - although once again we had the spectacle of Max and Horner whining afterwards, Max saying that the RBs were "taken out by a Mercedes again" (hint, hint) and Horner claiming they should get financial compensation for the damaged cars "in this budget-capped season". Puh-lease.

GreenThing

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 13, 2003
Plymouth
Mayhem from start to finish. That restart grid lineup has got to be one of the strangest things I've ever seen in F1!
Something similar happened a few years back in MotoGP. Jack Miller went to the grid on dry tyres while everyone else had a wet setup. If you change your bike on the grid, you have to start in the pit lane but unlike F1, a pit lane start doesn’t mean a queue, it’s a free for all. The stewards decided that the whole grid (apart from Miller) starting in the pit lane would be dangerous so decided to line them all at the back of the grid starting with last at the last box and working forward. Miller was angry about this as it gave him a few seconds advantage rather than about 15s advantage that the pit lane start would have given him.

Attachments

• 404CAD84-0F37-4205-8A22-1DD239CE7F4E.jpeg
    404CAD84-0F37-4205-8A22-1DD239CE7F4E.jpeg
    213.3 KB · Views: 6

GreenThing

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 13, 2003
Plymouth
Well then, Spa was fun, wasn’t it? 😀

Were they right to run a few laps behind the safety car or should they have just cancelled the race? Michael Masi says that they run the few laps to see if the track would get better with cars running and lifting the water but after the 2 laps it was apparent that the conditions were getting worse. Taking him for his word, I think that it was the right decision to try to get the race going, even if it was likely to fail.

I’m happy that points were awarded as those who scored points deserved them for their performance in qualifying, especially George Russell, but I wonder if Merc will kick up a stink if they lose the championship by less than the 5 points Max gained over Lewis.

Sep 13, 2003
What a joke of a day!

They shouldn't have been awarded any points, Vettel and Alonso were spot on. 2 laps under the safety does not constitute racing and the race should have just been called off and the fans refunded.

Reactions: Ted

Ponty

English and proud of it
Staff member
R.I.P
Sep 27, 2006
Plymouth
What a joke of a day!

They shouldn't have been awarded any points, Vettel and Alonso were spot on. 2 laps under the safety does not constitute racing and the race should have just been called off and the fans refunded.
This for me.

A shambles to award points when they never raced

GreenThing

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 13, 2003
Plymouth
This for me.

A shambles to award points when they never raced
Agree and I’m sure they’ll change the rule so that laps behind the safety car don’t count as racing laps. I think the situation exposed a loophole.

I do think it was right to run a few laps to see if the water lifted by the cars was greater than the water being replaced by the rain as it could have led to some real racing, but I thought they could have run a bit longer to see if the track dried.