F1 2021 | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

F1 2021

Apr 20, 2008
Plymouth
Some takes, some of which are perhaps hotter than others...

- Leclerc should keep his pole, it's not as if he did a Schumi and blocked the track on purpose. If he did do it on purpose, fair play to him, because he made it look a hell of a lot more convincing than Schumacher did in '06 or Rosberg did in '14.

- Ricciardo - what's happening?! Is his team-mate just insanely fast, or is something else going on?

- Alonso - see above.

- Finally... Albon wouldn't be doing this badly.

GreenThing

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 13, 2003
Plymouth
Agree about LeClerc. If you do it on purpose, you make sure you have a car to race with tomorrow. There’s also a strong possibility that he’ll need a new gearbox and receive a 5 place grid penalty.

Dec 30, 2004
Brighton
Exactly. There's no way on earth that he did that on purpose, and the only way he'll lose pole is a through a gearbox change.

That didn't stop the ever-irritating schoolboy Ted Kravitz trying to whip up a non-existent debate on its legitimacy, though.

Dec 30, 2004
Brighton
A pretty dull, more or less processional race that's nevertheless had the effect of spicing everything up a treat.

I don't think that Merc will have many more bad weekends like that one, and everything fell very nicely indeed for RB; although the presumed final outing for RB's bendy wing at super-fast Baku may yet put them further ahead, especially if Perez has now got the measure of things.

Great to see Lando Norris on the podium, and to see McLaren (well, just Norris so far...) maintaining their resurgence. And Vettel 5th in the Aston - that was a surprise. I've never held any great affection for Vettel but it was nice to see a grand old British marque high up in the results, albeit through yet another rebranding of that team. How many is that now?! (Just looked it up: Jordan, Midland, Spyker, Force India, Racing Point Force India, Racing Point, Aston Martin.)

GreenThing

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 13, 2003
Plymouth
The thing with Monaco is that it requires ultimate skill and concentration from the drivers. It offers noting in respect of a good race, but you know that one mistake can change to complexion of the race completely. If all circuits were based on the Monaco model, no-one would watch F1 and it'll be dead, but once a season I can enjoy the different challenge it brings.

Dec 30, 2004
Brighton
GreenThing":1ib6ih30 said:
The thing with Monaco is that it requires ultimate skill and concentration from the drivers. It offers noting in respect of a good race, but you know that one mistake can change to complexion of the race completely. If all circuits were based on the Monaco model, no-one would watch F1 and it'll be dead, but once a season I can enjoy the different challenge it brings.
Absolutely. However dull it often is in straight racing terms, it's the ultimate test of driving skills and it's great just to look at, and I wouldn't miss it for the world. (I've actually been to Monaco quite a few times, including the 2005 GP itself, and most of those apartment buildings are pretty hideous in real life - 50s/60s/70s monstrosities that would look much like tower blocks on council estates in a different context - but taken as a whole, from something of a distance, it all looks faaaabulous, dahlink!)

Apr 20, 2008
Plymouth
MickyD":3qe4l79r said:
GreenThing":3qe4l79r said:
Absolutely. However dull it often is in straight racing terms, it's the ultimate test of driving skills and it's great just to look at, and I wouldn't miss it for the world. (I've actually been to Monaco quite a few times, including the 2005 GP itself, and most of those apartment buildings are pretty hideous in real life - 50s/60s/70s monstrosities that would look much like tower blocks on council estates in a different context - but taken as a whole, from something of a distance, it all looks faaaabulous, dahlink!)
I was lucky enough to visit Monaco in 2014 as well, just as they were assembling the track. Didn't see inside any of the apartments buildings you mention, but on the outside I was completely in my element - it was like the racing fans' Mecca. Enjoyed happy hour at the swimming pool bar, only about €10 a pint - bargain!

I agree with the above points about the Monaco GP, I do enjoy it even if the wheel to wheel action is dull. That said, massive props to the TV director who decided to cut away from just about the only side-by-side action of the entire race!

Dec 30, 2004
Brighton
I just meant from the outside. There are some seriously ugly buildings there! I'd just expect more classy designs, that's all - I find the contrast with the older architecture pretty jarring.

I agree, though, that the whole vibe of the place, especially for a long-time F1 fan, is amazing, never mind lots of ugly tower blocks.

GreenThing

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 13, 2003
Plymouth
Dan Ellard":2xrve06m said:
Lando Norris, that is seriously impressive.

After seeing it again it’s more impressive that he was 2 car-lengths ahead of Max going into the final 2 corners.

GreenThing

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 13, 2003
Plymouth
I was worried the the sprint ‘race’ would be a bit too safe and dull. I was wrong, that was a good, especially as Silverstone is more of a tactical race rather than an out and out overtaker. Should be good to see it again at Monza.

Dec 30, 2004
Brighton
Yes, it worked really well. I think they're going to have trouble keeping everybody in line with the "sprint not race" mantra.

Sep 13, 2003
I was worried the the sprint ‘race’ would be a bit too safe and dull. I was wrong, that was a good, especially as Silverstone is more of a tactical race rather than an out and out overtaker. Should be good to see it again at Monza.

The first lap from Alonso was brilliant, other than that, did it work much better than normal qualifying? The qualifying on Friday was a far more dramatic and fans seemed to enjoy it more judging by the noise from the stands.

Im open to it being used at 3/4 races a season... it obviously wouldn't work at tracks like Abu Dhabi, Monaco, Singapore, the new Saudi track (look it up on YouTube - looks like a faster version of Monte Carlo), Sochi etc.

It won't work at Monza, this track is notoriously difficult to overtake on despite the fast nature of the circuit. Just look at last year's race, a massive DRS train which Bottas and Verstappen were in the middle of and couldn't do anything about it.

GreenThing

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 13, 2003
Plymouth
I was happy with it because I was expecting it to be a bit too safe with the drivers protecting their grid position rather than taking a risk to improve. Whether it’s better or worse than the standard qualifying doesn’t really matter as we still had that of Friday evening. As far as I’m concerned with this format is that it replaces seemingly endless practice with more racing and that has to be a good thing.

As for it not working at all tracks, in an article for Sky, Martin Brundle was suggesting that he would like to see 3 different formats for race weekends, each one chosen for the style of track. This would be Classic, Sprint and Street Circuit.