F1 2021 | Page 9 | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

F1 2021

Dec 30, 2004
Brighton
What if both are wiped out of the race, and MV is deducted points?
Would make for a hilarious own goal.
Fun idea, but I don't think that anybody has ever been deducted points from their season total if they score zero in a race to begin with, regardless of their sins in that particular race.

Hmm - but then again (and I'm doing this from memory because I'm too lazy to look it up) I think that Michael Schumacher had his entire season's results nullified in 1995 (or maybe a year or two later?) for trying to "pull a 1994" again.

GreenThing

Administrator
Staff member
šŸ† Callum Wright 23/24
āœ… Evergreen
āœØPasoti DonorāœØ
šŸŒŸSparksy MuralšŸŒŸ
Sep 13, 2003
Plymouth
Fun idea, but I don't think that anybody has ever been deducted points from their season total if they score zero in a race to begin with, regardless of their sins in that particular race.

Hmm - but then again (and I'm doing this from memory because I'm too lazy to look it up) I think that Michael Schumacher had his entire season's results nullified in 1995 (or maybe a year or two later?) for trying to "pull a 1994" again.

1997 for his attempt to take out Villneuve at Jerez. šŸ‘

To be honest, I doubt Max will do anything like Schumacher did. Heā€™s been tough racing, but hasnā€™t shown anything to suggest heā€™ll take Lewis out on purpose. He tries to brake later than Lewis to keep him behind and on more than one occasion thatā€™s been too late to make the corner.

Dec 30, 2004
Brighton
1997 for his attempt to take out Villneuve at Jerez. šŸ‘

To be honest, I doubt Max will do anything like Schumacher did. Heā€™s been tough racing, but hasnā€™t shown anything to suggest heā€™ll take Lewis out on purpose. He tries to brake later than Lewis to keep him behind and on more than one occasion thatā€™s been too late to make the corner.
That's the one - thanks!

I sincerely hope you're right but I think that subconscious factors must come into play at such times, best intentions or no. If you could pretty much guarantee to win a world championship by doing what you're already very well known for doing, while your opponent must tiptoe around you for fear of the slightest touch - who wouldn't go for the crazy lunge or the dodgy track re-entry?

Apr 20, 2008
Plymouth
I assume you mean the best championship battle in the 20 years you've been following GP, as there have been (IMHO) better seasons: the battle between Prost and Senna in 1988, when they were both driving for McLaren: they won all bar one GP between them. And that's not including great battles like that between Hunt and Lauda in '76.

This season has been exciting, for sure, but the quality of driving by Max (although he's not alone) leaves a lot to be desired.
It'd be arrogant of me to say I know better, as I wasn't around to watch those seasons. Certainly, from archive footage I've seen (plus the help of films/documentaries "Rush" and "Senna", they looked like fantastic seasons with very exciting championship battles.

I also agree that Max crossed the line in SA, and should have been penalised more heavily for it.

But in terms of on-track battles/incidents between the two, this season has been like a movie script. Yes, SA got a bit silly, but it was still a fierce battle, and given seasons gone by where the two championship rivals would barely have a battle on track, this season we've been utterly spoilt. Bahrain, Silverstone, Monza, Brazil, and SA all saw them in a dramatic on-track battle/incident - then you can throw in Imola, Portugal, Spain and France as well when they were side by side for the lead at some point.

Unless the archive footage has been lost over time, I can't see that Hunt/Lauda or Prost/Senna in as many on-track battles as this? Certainly when I think back to say 1998-2000, whilst the Schumacher/Hakkinen rivalry was fierce, the only times I recall them being side by side or in a fierce battle are Italy '98, Hungary '00, Spa '00 and Japan '00. I may have missed some in there, but the point still stands I think.

And Lewis and Max are tied on points! Forgive my childishness, but I'm like a kid at Christmas - I can't WAIT for Sunday. May the best man win.

Reactions: Daz

Daz

Administrator
Staff member
āœ… Evergreen
Pasoti Quiz Champions
āœØPasoti DonorāœØ
Sep 30, 2003
Here we go then! Max to crash in the first lap anyone? šŸ™„ Letā€™s hope not!

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
I know nothing about F1 but by Christ it's all kicked off hasn't it?

Did ANYONE know what went on at the time? It didn't look like they did.

Daz

Administrator
Staff member
āœ… Evergreen
Pasoti Quiz Champions
āœØPasoti DonorāœØ
Sep 30, 2003
Anything that is decided by the officials like that is weird. Embarrassing for the sport Iā€™d say.

GreenThing

Administrator
Staff member
šŸ† Callum Wright 23/24
āœ… Evergreen
āœØPasoti DonorāœØ
šŸŒŸSparksy MuralšŸŒŸ
Sep 13, 2003
Plymouth
Over the course of the season, I think Max deserved it. He lost a lot of points in Baku with a puncture and was effectively out of contention in Hungary when Bottas bowled him out. Lewis had some good luck in Imola when a red flag allowed him to get the car repaired and unlap himself.

A bit of luck kept Lewis in the title race, a bit of luck and the right calls won it for Max.

Steward need to grow some balls and go with their own decisions rather than make decisions based on which team principal shouts loudest.

Reactions: Dan Ellard
Jan 17, 2017
Bovey Tracey
Decided to watch the race. First one for years.

Wtf was that ending about? Race directors basically handing it to Verstappen on a plate.

This will be in court for a while. Shame to end such an anticipated race that way.

Jun 28, 2006
Plymouth
My family and I have been split all season by these two. 20 seconds ahead of everyone in no time. The best two drivers for a while.

Mad Max has something of Senna in his style and really has lit up the sport. Great to watch.

However for the FIA to clearly contrive to manufacture a Red Bill win is shocking. Lewis was 12 seconds ahead after Mercedes team decisions through the race. That advantage was wiped out in a second. I canā€™t say Iā€™m an F1 expert but to have other teams drivers not agreeing tells me everything.

Reactions: smudja

Alan Turing

Administrator
Staff member
āœ… Evergreen
šŸŽ« S.T. Donor šŸŽ«
āœØPasoti DonorāœØ
šŸŒŸSparksy MuralšŸŒŸ
Jul 24, 2010
Mutley
The FIA / stewards have had a mare today.

I wanted Lewis to win but I donā€™t want him to win because of an official protest.

What a mess!

Reactions: smudja and Tonka

Pogleswoody

R.I.P
Jul 3, 2006
Location Location
Haven't watched a race for a while as won't pay for it!
But thought I'd enjoy it today.
I did till the end then it all went grids up.

The Race Manager (or whoever) saying: 'That's racing, we went for a racing finish' (or whatever) was just stupid.

Rules are rules, follow them completely or don't; don't follow them just enough to create a different 'exciting' race surely?
Be like disallowing (or allowing) a VAR goal because Liverpool are already 1-0 up and allowing/disallowing it would bring an exciting finish.
Rules are not emotion/wishful thinking based!

Reactions: Daz and Tonka

GreenThing

Administrator
Staff member
šŸ† Callum Wright 23/24
āœ… Evergreen
āœØPasoti DonorāœØ
šŸŒŸSparksy MuralšŸŒŸ
Sep 13, 2003
Plymouth
I have no respect for Mercedes for doing this. The bottom line is that they gambled on finishing behind the safety car, and lost that gamble.

Jun 28, 2006
Plymouth
I have no respect for Mercedes for doing this. The bottom line is that they gambled on finishing behind the safety car, and lost that gamble.
The rules need changing, and probably will be. A rookie driver crashes and spoils the Championship finale. Whether itā€™s Verstappen or Hamilton, neither should have their efforts denied by something not in their control. Masi got it wrong. You canā€™t make the rules up to make it more exciting.

Mercedes actually played it right and Hamiltons tyres would have seen out the race.