Experienced No. 2 needed | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Experienced No. 2 needed

MGM

✨Pasoti Donor✨
Dec 7, 2021
So a no2 is going to tell Cooper to hit the ball long and not play his team mate into trouble?

They are league one players asked to play like Ajax out the back. They aren’t programmed to make the right call consistently. Not when the past 10 years for a player like Wilson they probably been booting it up the pitch.

Reactions: Verdant1 and Emu
Dec 30, 2020
I find it strange how often clubs just appoint a coaching team of their manager's old mates. It would raise a lot of eyebrows in any other business.

There are tonnes of up and coming coaches out there... most of the top managers at the elite level didn't have illustrious playing careers and had to work their way up from positions a lot more junior than assistant manager at Argyle... I'd wager that if we'd advertised for the position we'd have got some really stellar candidates applying.

It might be that Mark Hughes is one of the great up and coming coaches in world football, but you'd feel a lot more confident of that if he'd had to go through a competitive appointment process

Graham Clark

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
🚑 Steve Hooper
Nov 18, 2018
The key to being an Assistant Manager is to having the manager's trust and respect. Those are qualities built over time. The best recruitment process will not necessarily reveal those qualities. The most important quality is to offer objective comment and indeed criticism of what Schuey may think - challenging him on decisions. Schuey's relationship with Mark Hughes goes back along way - indeed he often spoke to him when at other clubs. I trust his judgement on the appointment and seeing them work together in game on the touchline barking tactical adjustment and comment they are very much a team.

I do wonder why the same comment that we need an experienced No.2 was not made after the Barnsley and Peterborough (League) games. It has the whiff of knee jerk and scapegoat about it. Defeats happen and below par performances riddled with defensive errors happen. It even happens to the best - Klopp v Villa (7-2) and Guardiola v Leicester (5-2) for example. What is more important is how the management team address the deficiencies exposed last night and how the players react on the pitch - not just Saturday but over an extended period.

Dec 30, 2020
The key to being an Assistant Manager is to having the manager's trust and respect. Those are qualities built over time. The best recruitment process will not necessarily reveal those qualities. The most important quality is to offer objective comment and indeed criticism of what Schuey may think - challenging him on decisions. Schuey's relationship with Mark Hughes goes back along way - indeed he often spoke to him when at other clubs. I trust his judgement on the appointment and seeing them work together in game on the touchline barking tactical adjustment and comment they are very much a team.

I do wonder why the same comment that we need an experienced No.2 was not made after the Barnsley and Peterborough (League) games. It has the whiff of knee jerk and scapegoat about it. Defeats happen and below par performances riddled with defensive errors happen. It even happens to the best - Klopp v Villa (7-2) and Guardiola v Leicester (5-2) for example. What is more important is how the management team address the deficiencies exposed last night and how the players react on the pitch - not just Saturday but over an extended period.

Slightly digressing here as I agree with your second para, but the passage in bold is true of any close working relationship. That doesn't give senior managers a license to appoint their old mates, and in general businesses outside of football are going in the opposite direction (ie trying to get away from a carousel of clubby, old boy networks dominating senior roles) on the basis that too cosy a relationship actually makes frank and objective criticism much harder.

Again, not saying this applies to Schumacher/Hughes just something that's always struck me as odd about football in general.

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
Not so much criticising not replacing Downing as an experienced coach but we are a coach down on numbers because we didn't replace Downing with anyone.

We have good numbers in data analysts and physios but no extra coach to directly help Schumacher, which is obviously his choice.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
Not a coach as such but Dewsip is always watching and advising. Well I see that at the home games, I assume it's the same for the away games.

Reactions: David Doidge

MGM

✨Pasoti Donor✨
Dec 7, 2021
People say we need an experienced coach.

Yet we recruit players through data anaylsis.

Look at Wilson and Gillesphy. Both lack pace. So does Scarr but he is the centre of the 3 so better protected.

So our data analysis knows we are playing a back 3. That our wing backs push forward.

So when your playing a high line and you are exposed in the channels what would be the most important attribute for a defender? ld say it’s Pace. Neither of those players have that.

So how does a coach make them faster? He doesn’t. Why is Galloway better that Gillesphy in that left CB position. He has the recovery pace.

Coaches can’t make players any faster. You play a high defensive line with slow defenders, you will be exposed.

That’s why Wotton and Coughlan weren’t torn apart consistently by pace. Yes there was the odd occasion. They aren’t any quicker that Wilson or Gillesphy. Yet as a team they weren’t exposed in areas of the field that their lack of pace would be exploited.

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
We didn't need an experienced coach when we comfortably beat Peterborough - because the players did their jobs. I'm not saying that Schumacher was blameless last night but you can't prepare for some of the individual sloppiness that handed Charlton the win.

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2018
A great deal of talk regarding lack of pace at the back on here.
But undoubtedly one of the all time great defenders in English football was Bobby Moore a defender who openly admitted to being slow.
However he made up for his lack of pace be his greater ability to read a game and so could position himself to counteract this.
In the modern game where sides play a high line with slower defenders one has to counteract their lack of pace by greater pressing from midfielders and forwards to cut out the balls over the top or the through balls into the channels.
But bearing in mind the level we are playing at i.e. 3rd level players who can do this week in and weekout regularly are less lightly to be found