Exeter's academy does it again (Randall transfer) | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Exeter's academy does it again (Randall transfer)

May 16, 2016
Exeters success at Academy level is to be applauded, but the fact they're rarely out of the bottom division suggests that they rely on it just to survive long enough to tread water.

Should another Academy start being the preferred choice of potential starlets, they could well be in a difficult position.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
That IS there policy though isn't it.

They surely realise that they would never survive on their laughable gates, so they made the decision quite a few years ago and up until now it's been a success.

The danger was though, and it appears to be the case now, is that IF PAFC got their act together, Exeter would surely struggle with continuance of grabbing all the 'wee gems'.

We'll have to wait and see, but I would imagine Argyle are causing concern on this front.

I also see they appointed three directors onto their board yesterday, so something seems to be changing.

For a club of Exeter’s size, yo-yoing from leagues 2 to 1 whilst being financed through an excellent academy scheme and fan ownership is surely the best model. Comparable to Crewe. Never understood the rivalry when they are literally not in our league, but then I’m a newcomer.

Aug 5, 2016
Exeter have been unlucky lately. They are always in and around the playoff chase, if not automatics.

The thing is what do they ever do with their money?

They have decent-ish gates for League Two, but sell players for ÂŁ1m - ÂŁ2m a piece and don't ever seem to go anywhere.

Where does the money go?

Argylegames

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Jun 12, 2006
Hampshire, UK
www.argylegames.org.uk
I recall reading that the sell-on money from Brentford would keep them going for two or three seasons.

The Doctor

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 15, 2003
Plymouth
andapoet.blog
What is it that the Exeter Academy does/has (or did/had) that the Argyle one doesn't (or didn't) that has made them more successful?

Argylegames

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Jun 12, 2006
Hampshire, UK
www.argylegames.org.uk
What is it that the Exeter Academy does/has (or did/had) that the Argyle one doesn't (or didn't) that has made them more successful?
They were (not sure if still are) at a higher level in the academy ranking. Same sort of thing as coach ranking.

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
I believe that, if our strategy was the same as Exeter’s, Mike Cooper would no longer be at PAFC. I expect there will also be some interest in Adam Randell before too long but I do hope that we can hang on to our Academy products so that, if they eventually move on, it will be for very substantial fees and add ons.
Hopefully, there are now more in the pipeline with similar potential.
Good luck to Exeter City with their strategy.

Aug 5, 2016
I believe that, if our strategy was the same as Exeter’s, Mike Cooper would no longer be at PAFC. I expect there will also be some interest in Adam Randell before too long but I do hope that we can hang on to our Academy products so that, if they eventually move on, it will be for very substantial fees and add ons.
Hopefully, there are now more in the pipeline with similar potential.
Good luck to Exeter City with their strategy.
I wonder how much interest there was in Jephcott last January, and how much Argyle turned down to keep him?

Aug 5, 2015
Personally I think academy success is cyclical. We’ve produced players in the past and it looks like we’ll do so in the future. For now it’s their turn and they don’t seem to have made much of their “success”

The Doctor

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 15, 2003
Plymouth
andapoet.blog
They were (not sure if still are) at a higher level in the academy ranking. Same sort of thing as coach ranking.
Yes, but specifically what is different? Facilities, number/quality of coaches, games played etc. Or is it simply that because they are categorised at a higher level better players/parents pick them?