Exeter's academy does it again (Randall transfer) | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Exeter's academy does it again (Randall transfer)

May 8, 2011
Yes, but specifically what is different? Facilities, number/quality of coaches, games played etc. Or is it simply that because they are categorised at a higher level better players/parents pick them?
Finance was a big difference.
The Argyle Academy had started to produce a steady stream of potential first team players and then administration happened, not only was there a fire sale of those players but spending on the Academy also reduced with all the implications from that in terms of staffing and investment. At the same time Exeter had started to invest heavily in their Academy.
11 years later with increased investment each year as the Club could afford to the first crop of post administration youngsters are coming through the system and the Argyle Academy is getting back to its position prior to administration.
The Club had begun to develop a clear development pathway for the youth players some public such as first joining the SWPL, then the Central League and PL Cup, recognising rising stars by offering them contracts early like Mike Cooper.
Finally even the Exeter Academy misses players, as we have Exeter born and raised Mike Cooper who joined at 9 years old.

Jan 12, 2011
Exiled in Cornwall
Players Exeter have sold over the last 2,3,4 years, would of been 9 years old 10,11,12 years ago, at the time of Argyles administration. it takes time to make a 9 year old into a 19 year old sellable asset..... um 10 years.... Exeter were the only only choice at that time. I would expect a levelling out over the next few years (evidenced by the crop of youngsters now starting to come through at argyle).
Mike Cooper as an example would of been one of the first youngsters to be picked up post administration, and we were still struggling financially at that time.

Dec 30, 2020
Yes, but specifically what is different? Facilities, number/quality of coaches, games played etc. Or is it simply that because they are categorised at a higher level better players/parents pick them?
On the basis of a quick google, they're not and haven't ever been a higher ranked academy than Argyle. We're both category 3, and hence play in the same league.

Doesn't preclude variations within the same category, but suggests that in terms of the key elements - staff, qualifications, facilities, level of competition - there isn't a major difference.

I'm sure that administration has played a part in our underperformance, but equally it does sound like something people from inside the club would say to defend their record. A good youth system is essentially about identifying, recruiting and then developing the best players and I struggle to believe that Exeter would have had greatly superior resources in any of these respects.

May 8, 2011
On the basis of a quick google, they're not and haven't ever been a higher ranked academy than Argyle. We're both category 3, and hence play in the same league.

Doesn't preclude variations within the same category, but suggests that in terms of the key elements - staff, qualifications, facilities, level of competition - there isn't a major difference.

I'm sure that administration has played a part in our underperformance, but equally it does sound like something people from inside the club would say to defend their record. A good youth system is essentially about identifying, recruiting and then developing the best players and I struggle to believe that Exeter would have had greatly superior resources in any of these respects.
If finance dictate that you can only have a minimal scouting network and the infrastructure to recruit 50 children a year then the chances of unearthing a star is less likely than if you can afford to recruit many more youngster and have a wider scouting network.