Euro 24, England v Slovakia | Page 22 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Euro 24, England v Slovakia

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
I think the problem with England is the FA coaching set up. I don't like Southgate, he is an awful coach as no substitutions at half time clearly showed. I now worry more about who above him at the FA sets up tactics and style of play? Foster came here, I was excited a FA trained coach involved in many age groups etc. Once he started to take control the team lost all it's identity and almost cost us relegation. Who is teaching the coaches at the FA? What are they teaching them? I used to watch and think our best players weren't technically as good as Italy Spain Germany & France etc, now I think we are equal. But the standard of English coaches is dreadful at the top level, Why? Eddie Howe sticks out as the next England manager, but why have so many of our stars failed as coaches. Something at the very top of the FA needs fixing urgently.

Eddie Howe won’t leave Newcastle. The England job doesn’t have that kind of pull anymore. There’s a reason Graham Potter has been turning down jobs recently, I think he’s lined up to take over.

Personally I’d like to see us try and poach Rangnick from Austria.

Jul 15, 2006
Kenton, Devon
As each game passes I'm beginning to see a second and, seemingly, more serious probIem with having so many foreign players in our PL. For many years the majority of places in the top clubs' squads have been filled with foreign players. People suggested that the decreasing numbers of English players we have to choose from as a cause of our failure to win tournaments.

But having watched the first four England games I see another effect this influx of players has caused. The versions of Saka and Foden we have seen are vastly different to the players we see at Arsenal and Man City. The Real Madrid player of the year Bellingham is streets ahead of the man I've watched in these 4 games. Kane, already a goal- scoring legend after a single season in the Bundesliga, has reminded me of that Welsh fireman we had. John Stones has not once carried the ball out of defence and marauded forward. At City, when fit, he is like a reincarnation of the great Beckenbauer. For England he looks more Darren Purse.

Southgate, Holland and co may be part of the problem, but I genuinely think that these players I mention are better players when surrounded by the likes Odegard, Rhodri, De Bruyne and co. The number of times in these 4 games we have seen England players exasperated when in possession, arms out asking for movement. At their clubs Stones and Alexander-Arnold don't just wander into midfield on a whim, their movement is facilitated by the players who create the opportunity.

The lack of movement and the lethargy is hard to miss. The reason for it is more complicated.

I haven't read the whole thread so apologies if this or a similar suggestion may have got a mention.

I get what you're trying to say, I'm not entirely sure I agree with it. You say that people suggest a decreased number of English players has been a reason behind our failure to win tournaments, but our record, 1966 aside, before the proliferation of foreign players in the PL has hardly been sparking. I recall an argument for an increase in foreign players which would improve the quality of English players, and if anything I'd say England's performance in the WC and Euros has been better in the last 20-odd years than any time before that. The team haven't played as they would do for their respective clubs this tournament, that's an undeniable fact, but to blame that on the influx of foreign players? Don't forget 7 of yesterday's team were in the Euro semi in 2020 (6 were in the final, but Saka was dropped to make room for Mount), and eight were in the QF game against France in 2022 (and I'm still 'what if' if Kane hadn't missed that bloody penalty). This team does look jaded and very unbalanced: I don't think this has anything to do with foreign players in the PL, more that Southgate has taken this team as far as he can, and he's simply run out of steam. Or ideas.

If anything, what has been a problem in the English game for many decades has been a reluctance for English players to play abroad, especially those who are younger or in their prime. Yes, Bellingham is only 21 and plays in Spain, but he left England when he was 17 to join Dortmund. Kane's in Germany now, but arguably, at 30 he's now on the other side of being at his peak and maybe has one last major tournament in him after this one. But rather than holding onto our national assets we should be encouraging more to play in Europe - I think that would improve the quality of our best players.

Feb 22, 2021
And why are the vast majority of top coaches from abroad?
They are better than English coaches? Pep or Klopp would cry at what Southgate has done to Foden and Trent. The more ability a player has, the less Southgate has a clue how to use them. Schumacher is a better coach than Southgate, he tried using 2 number 10's quite well last season, have you seen Southgate try that?

memory man

✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
I get what you're trying to say, I'm not entirely sure I agree with it. You say that people suggest a decreased number of English players has been a reason behind our failure to win tournaments, but our record, 1966 aside, before the proliferation of foreign players in the PL has hardly been sparking. I recall an argument for an increase in foreign players which would improve the quality of English players, and if anything I'd say England's performance in the WC and Euros has been better in the last 20-odd years than any time before that. The team haven't played as they would do for their respective clubs this tournament, that's an undeniable fact, but to blame that on the influx of foreign players? Don't forget 7 of yesterday's team were in the Euro semi in 2020 (6 were in the final, but Saka was dropped to make room for Mount), and eight were in the QF game against France in 2022 (and I'm still 'what if' if Kane hadn't missed that bloody penalty). This team does look jaded and very unbalanced: I don't think this has anything to do with foreign players in the PL, more that Southgate has taken this team as far as he can, and he's simply run out of steam. Or ideas.

If anything, what has been a problem in the English game for many decades has been a reluctance for English players to play abroad, especially those who are younger or in their prime. Yes, Bellingham is only 21 and plays in Spain, but he left England when he was 17 to join Dortmund. Kane's in Germany now, but arguably, at 30 he's now on the other side of being at his peak and maybe has one last major tournament in him after this one. But rather than holding onto our national assets we should be encouraging more to play in Europe - I think that would improve the quality of our best players.
It's hard to condense one's thoughts into this kind of forum. I think the quality of the English players we do have in the PL is very high. That's why I think there is something else. You make a very good point about the lack of adventure in our players to challenge themselves abroad (and our coaches too). But I still think Rice is a better player now he has Odegard each week and that De Bruyne's vision helps Foden? I do think being surrounded by better players must be an advantage. How many of our subs last night would get in the City, Arsenal or Liverpool sides? As ever with me, just a thought expressed out loud.

Reactions: Quinny
Jul 15, 2006
Kenton, Devon
The trouble with England scraping through yesterday all will be forgiven in some quarters & the cracks will be papered over.
Southgate is the luckiest ever England Manager with qualifying draws & even ended up in the soft side of the draw this time but as soon as we come up against a half decent side our shortcomings are high lighted

I wouldn't be at all surprised, as poor as we are, if England stumbled into the final.

No, I haven't been drinking.