England's new era of cricket | Page 8 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

England's new era of cricket

Voice of Reason

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 30, 2004
Firstly what a game, one of the best you'll ever see, with the plaudits going to the batsman its worth noting Andersons match figures, truly astounding when every other bowler was going around the park 35 overs 5-82, was in truth a truly outstanding effort.
I'm still yet to be convinced Pope is a test number 3 just yet, clearly he has got the game to make a test batsman, but i'm not sure 3 is the spot for him. Bairstow when its flat is as good as we have, sadly his technique fails him the moment it starts seaming or bouncing, but yesterday was his day in the sun and if we are going to play this brand of cricket, he way well thrive if he knows the management will except his flaws.
A great test for Foakes who has probably cemented his place (rightly so) for the long term.
Two main issues are clearly Crawley and Leach, i think thats 12 scores under 10 in his last 20 innings for Crawley, who seems to be the chosen one and therefore continues to get chance after chance. I know Ben Duckett reasonably well, he was given 4 tests, 3 of which were on minefields in India, given his first class record compared to Crawley its mystifying that certain players get given so long and others cut short.
My biggest gripe would be leach, clearly a top guy, who is well liked and totally selfless, but just doesn't look a threat. I thought in India when it was turning square, Root out-bowled him, in England on seam or flat wickets, they pick him to "hold an end up" which frustrates me, if you want a spinner to bowl a 15 over spell and go for under 3 an over, why wouldn't you pick an ODI spinner, someone like Liam Dawson, who at least bats and fields well? I dont like the idea of going back to Ali who just wants to pick and choose his career when it suits, but surely there must be a better option out there.

Reactions: Brussels Bureaucrat
Sep 6, 2006
Firstly what a game, one of the best you'll ever see, with the plaudits going to the batsman its worth noting Andersons match figures, truly astounding when every other bowler was going around the park 35 overs 5-82, was in truth a truly outstanding effort.
I'm still yet to be convinced Pope is a test number 3 just yet, clearly he has got the game to make a test batsman, but i'm not sure 3 is the spot for him. Bairstow when its flat is as good as we have, sadly his technique fails him the moment it starts seaming or bouncing, but yesterday was his day in the sun and if we are going to play this brand of cricket, he way well thrive if he knows the management will except his flaws.
A great test for Foakes who has probably cemented his place (rightly so) for the long term.
Two main issues are clearly Crawley and Leach, i think thats 12 scores under 10 in his last 20 innings for Crawley, who seems to be the chosen one and therefore continues to get chance after chance. I know Ben Duckett reasonably well, he was given 4 tests, 3 of which were on minefields in India, given his first class record compared to Crawley its mystifying that certain players get given so long and others cut short.
My biggest gripe would be leach, clearly a top guy, who is well liked and totally selfless, but just doesn't look a threat. I thought in India when it was turning square, Root out-bowled him, in England on seam or flat wickets, they pick him to "hold an end up" which frustrates me, if you want a spinner to bowl a 15 over spell and go for under 3 an over, why wouldn't you pick an ODI spinner, someone like Liam Dawson, who at least bats and fields well? I dont like the idea of going back to Ali who just wants to pick and choose his career when it suits, but surely there must be a better option out there.
Thing with Leach is he can be a threat but always seems to bowl one bad ball an over so letting the batsman off the hook.

Voice of Reason

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 30, 2004
He averages 38 and goes at 3.5 an over in tests in England, if thats the best we've got, then fair enough, but i dont see it personally. His one excellent tour of Sri Lanka (who were rubbish) skews his test record significantly.

Ottawa Green

Site Admin
Staff member
🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Cream First
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 18, 2003
Ottawa, Canada
LIVE
1st ODI, Amstelveen, June 17, 2022, England tour of Netherlands

England Flag
England
498/4
Netherlands Flag
Netherlands
(1.4/50 ov, T:499) 10/0
Netherlands need 489 runs from 48.2 overs.
Jason Roy b Snater1780014.28
Phil Salt c Boissevain b van Beek12293137143131.18
Dawid Malan c de Leede b Seelaar12510920693114.67
Jos Buttler †not out16270107714231.42
Eoin Morgan (c)lbw b Seelaar013000.00
Liam Livingstone not out66222666300.00

Mar 21, 2018
I think the aim was to bring a bit of exposure for the Dutch. I was out there for the 2nd ODI and I must admit there were more Dutch fans than I thought and the Dutch Cricket Board actually put on a decent series.

Everyone going into this knew England would win 3-0, it was more of a case of can the Dutch get a reasonable total (300ish) and keep the bowling tidy. The experience they would have got from these 3 games - against the World Champs in this format is hugely beneficial for them.

Reactions: Bernie Bernbaum