England v Ukraine | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

England v Ukraine

Sep 6, 2006
Argylegames":1rhplp2e said:
I gather we actually tried to win tonight as opposed to trying not to let in a goal.

Also gather Kane decided to turn up.

Perhaps the players got fed up with the managers negative tactics.

Sounds like you dont understand football very well. Probably would help if you watched the game. Just for the record we have won 4 out of 5 now!

Argylegames

Administrator
Staff member
šŸ† Callum Wright 23/24
āœ… Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
šŸŽ« S.T. Donor šŸŽ«
āœØPasoti DonorāœØ
šŸŒŸSparksy MuralšŸŒŸ
Jun 12, 2006
Hampshire, UK
www.argylegames.org.uk
Balham_Green":nqaasx1z said:
Just for the record we have won 4 out of 5 now!

Shame the one we didn't win was the most important of the group games!

England have disappointed and disillusioned me in EVERY tournament and most of the non-tournament games since 30th July 1966. I have come to expect them to fail when it matters. I haven't watched an England game live (I sometimes watch the lowlights) for over 20 years.

I have no hope that they will win anything again in my lifetime.

30th July 1966 was the pinnacle of my international watching. 15th April 1967 was probably one of the lowest (I lived in Scotland at the time)

Mar 21, 2013
Luckily the management & players are more interested in the bigger picture for this tournament then bragging rights over an old foe for one game. We get it though, you donā€™t like or enjoy the England team, doesnā€™t need to be said over & over againā€¦..unless youā€™re enjoying the attention.

Sep 6, 2006
Argylegames":1nn4kd1i said:
Balham_Green":1nn4kd1i said:

England have disappointed and disillusioned me in EVERY tournament and most of the non-tournament games since 30th July 1966. I have come to expect them to fail when it matters. I haven't watched an England game live (I sometimes watch the lowlights) for over 20 years.

30th July 1966 was the pinnacle of my international watching. 15th April 1967 was probably one of the lowest (I lived in Scotland at the time)

Obviously you are just looking for the negatives. Why was Scotland the 'most important group game'? You are not making much sense.

L G

ā™£ļø PACSA Member
āœ… Evergreen
Feb 25, 2005
Lostwithiel, Capital of Cornwall.
Nothing surprises me with some folk nowadays.

Not sure I can live my life like that, but each to their own i suppose.

This next week is possibly going to one of the most exciting in my 52 years on this earth. So glad that I had that operation last August so that I can enjoy it fully. It's not just the football, I've got a new job starting very soon, I'm enjoying the tennis and I've just started the Million step challenge for Diabetes UK for the 6th year.

And i've not even looked at the new Argyle website and of course New PASOTI will be along soon.

Life is good. Keep smiling.

Mar 14, 2009
I think you fall into two age brackets.

The people who experienced ā€˜90 and ā€˜96 and those who didnā€™t witness it.

Unfortunately, those semi final defeats against the Germans were heart breaking. It wasnā€™t just losing. It was the fact they lost via penalties. Unfortunately, itā€™s difficult to shake those memories off.

Then you the ā€œgolden generationā€. Players with undoubted ability but failed to deliver along with the management at the time.

Three years ago we have a loverly pathway to the semi final. We took the lead. In the second half Southgate lost grip of that game and his tactics were too cautious.

Now, on home soil, we have a better opportunity than we ever had to get to a final. Yes Southgate has done well up to this point. Yet if we lose against Denmark you watch the criticism, whether itā€™s fair or not, be unleashed on him. Social media is an absolute beast. Itā€™s a hype train running wild at the moment and it could lead to an explosion of emotions where it may not be justified if we lose on Wednesday.

England have played a cautious, pragmatic but nevertheless ruthless style of football. We beat a German side in knockout football for first time since ā€˜66. The result was brilliant but up until we scored the performance was average and Germany had their moment with Werner in the first half.

We beat a Ukraine side that beat North Macedonia and qualified with just 3 points. They needed the post, bar and a red card to get past Sweden.

If we play like we did against the Germans but Denmark take that one opportunity (that Germany didnā€™t) l think people will end up being very frustrated. You play this style of football, you have to win.

We havenā€™t fallen behind yet. Hopefully we wonā€™t. Yet if we do (or if we go into a cagey extra time scenario like we did with Croatia in 2018) thatā€™s then the watershed moment for Southgate. How brave will he be? Denmark played a 3 at the back system. How will he start the match? Will he mirror their formation or will he stick with the 4.

Football is harsh. Itā€™s fine margins. I feel Shaw is playing so well. On he right side though l feel Walker loses defensive concentration and itā€™s his pace that helps him get out of trouble. I think we have been good, without being great. The Scotland game was frustrating but people reacted like we lost. The Ukraine game was very good but you have to take into account who we are playing. We are either rubbish or world beaters and l just think we are somewhere in between.

I hope we find the inspiration on Wednesday to finally get us over the line and into a final. I hope Lady Luck is smiling on us too. We will need her. I hope football is finally coming home.

Mar 14, 2009
L G":3jzjgcbv said:
Nothing surprises me with some folk nowadays.

Not sure I can live my life like that, but each to their own i suppose.

This next week is possibly going to one of the most exciting in my 52 years on this earth. So glad that I had that operation last August so that I can enjoy it fully. It's not just the football, I've got a new job starting very soon, I'm enjoying the tennis and I've just started the Million step challenge for Diabetes UK for the 6th year.

And i've not even looked at the new Argyle website and of course New PASOTI will be along soon.

Life is good. Keep smiling.

Your right. Enjoy the moment. Thatā€™s what these experiences are about.

The GB girl at Wimbledon is an inspiration.

Whether England ever win another World Cup or their First European Championship there is a lot of things to be proud about regarding not only England, but Great Britain as a whole.

A football result shouldnā€™t define us. Itā€™s just a game after all.

Sep 13, 2003
Argylegames":1g2zy6at said:
Balham_Green":1g2zy6at said:

What a very odd outlook on England. Quite frankly, of you haven't been watching any of our games and have no interest then why are you in this forum slagging them off?

Southgate is now Englands 2nd most successful manager of all time with 3 semi finals in the bag (yes I do count the Nations League as we beat two very good teams to get there) and he must be on a quarter of the wages that Capello and Sven were on!

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner šŸ‘Øā€āš–ļø
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
Clarke_B":278jcr85 said:
Just to add: got my ticket for Wednesday now.. only ā‚¬85! Come on England!

My jealousy levels have peaked considering I've just tested positive and will have to watch us win the thing from home :facepalm:

Enjoy it though!

Lousy Pint

Jam First
Sep 23, 2005
Milano
Cobi Budge":296bs5od said:
Clarke_B":296bs5od said:

My jealousy levels have peaked considering I've just tested positive and will have to watch us win the thing from home :facepalm:

Enjoy it though!

ā‚¬85 is a darn site cheaper than when I looked for tickets in Rome. The cheapest I saw were ā‚¬320!!
Not at all jealous :think:

Wishing you a speedy recovery Cobi!!!

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner šŸ‘Øā€āš–ļø
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
Lousy_Pint":23sqy4au said:
Cobi Budge":23sqy4au said:
Clarke_B":23sqy4au said:

Enjoy it though!

ā‚¬85 is a darn site cheaper than when I looked for tickets in Rome. The cheapest I saw were ā‚¬320!!
Not at all jealous :think:

Wishing you a speedy recovery Cobi!!!

Asymptomatic at the moment mate and fully vaccinated. I think it's the 10 days sitting at home that's gonna drive me crazy!

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
One selection issue that has surprised me in the England squad has been the infrequent use of Phil Foden. Before the tournament started, I would have expected him to feature in the majority of games. I know that he was omitted from the 3rd game because he was ā€˜on a bookingā€™ but I am wondering if his omission is related to his Gazza stunt with his hair style. I have been reading that Southgateā€™s right hand man, Steve Holland, has no time for egos and, perhaps, Foden shot himself in the foot by attention seeking.
Just wondering if others have similar suspicions?

Ponty

English and proud of it
Staff member
R.I.P
Sep 27, 2006
Plymouth
davie nine":127evzm7 said:
One selection issue that has surprised me in the England squad has been the infrequent use of Phil Foden. Before the tournament started, I would have expected him to feature in the majority of games. I know that he was omitted from the 3rd game because he was ā€˜on a bookingā€™ but I am wondering if his omission is related to his Gazza stunt with his hair style. I have been reading that Southgateā€™s right hand man, Steve Holland, has no time for egos and, perhaps, Foden shot himself in the foot by attention seeking.
Just wondering if others have similar suspicions?
It did cross my mind but i expect there's more to it than that.