England v Scotland | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

England v Scotland

cheshiregreen

✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
Feb 17, 2004
cheshire
Probably this England squad has more flair players than most squads that have reached tournament finals in last 40 or so years. However we struggle to create chances from open play.

Kane looks off the pace, too much deliberation and square passing. Sterling is not at his best either.

Hard to beat a top national side relying on set pieces to create goalscoring opportunities. Doesn't auger well for knock out stages. If we somehow beat the Czechs we will most likely play one of France, Portugal or Germany just can't see that ending well.

55 years of hurt.

Mar 14, 2009
Unfortunately today our fears were realised. Southgate just isn’t a manager who can change things tactically.

If England players can’t handle the expectations of a Scotland game then what chance do they have in knock out stages.

The game was slow, dull and uninspiring. Sideways and backwards. I accept Scotland were well organised but the basic things like our crossing was woeful. No bravery on the ball. No emphasis on pressing.

Very disappointing to be asking the same questions about an England side that we been asking for years. When the F.A finally appoint a proper manager, and not a yes man, then maybe we can move forward as a football nation.

Mings said it himself. There was no intensity. Well for a Scotland vs England game that’s just criminal from the players.

Frank Butcher

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Oct 9, 2003
Gairloch
pastiesforlife":2rasdg22 said:
We have a great set of players but the worry was that Southgate would be too conservative. He lived up to expectations. Grealish needed to be on from the start. His reliance on the out of form trio of Kane, Sterling and Rashford meant that we were deprived of excitement from Bellingham, Sancho and possibly Calvert Lewin. Foden was easily our most dangerous player and got subbed. We need players to move play forward rather than constantly passing backwards or sideways for possession with no end result.

We still have a chance to do really well in the competition if Gareth gives talent a chance. Feels like he won’t and England will sleepwalk out of the tournament.

(Unless there is a master plan not to win the group and get an easier route to the final.Maybe Southgate is a genius but the nation is unaware).

I could have typed that word for word. Spot on.

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
I’m really concerned that we’re about to squander another golden generation because of completely inadequate & overly conservative management. I’m desperate for Southgate to prove me wrong but with the tactical naivety on display tonight, right now I can’t see that happening.

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
A typical ‘local derby’. Most fans expected our defence to be a problem but, tonight, our midfield and attack were completely ineffective. Our best chance was the header from a defender.
Surely, Grealish and Chilwell must start against the Czechs. Kane needs a rest. Even Foden and Mount were off the pace tonight.

jespafc

✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 23, 2005
www.johnstanlake.com
I won't have a bad word said about this current crop of England players.

Their instagram accounts are second to none and the sponsorship deals have been exquisite. I also really like the way they look at the camera in that little pre match look all serious camera shot they do.

They've mastered the art of saying nothing of interest in interviews and Phil Foden's hair has really lit up the tournament.

So all of you criticizing their turgid, boring and unimaginative brand of football should be ashamed of yourselves. They have great haircuts and they learned all the words to the national anthem.

It's coming home.

Andy S

Administrator
Staff member
🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 15, 2003
Here's a prediction for you...It ain't coming home!

Jun 4, 2015
Ford
jespafc":1zpt3t1t said:
I won't have a bad word said about this current crop of England players.

Their instagram accounts are second to none and the sponsorship deals have been exquisite. I also really like the way they look at the camera in that little pre match look all serious camera shot they do.

They've mastered the art of saying nothing of interest in interviews and Phil Foden's hair has really lit up the tournament.

So all of you criticizing their turgid, boring and unimaginative brand of football should be ashamed of yourselves. They have great haircuts and they learned all the words to the national anthem.

It's coming home.
Brilliant! :lol:

Sep 25, 2010
When you analysis the result, not the performance, it was a bad day for Scotland, (only 1 point), England have 4 points.

Scotland needed to win, after there poor show against Czech Rep. England second needing only I point to progress. scotland need to win extremely well against Croatia, on Tuesday.

If I were a Scottish supporter, thank god i’m not, I be asking, how come they can raise there game against England, but play so badly against Czech Rep, where the damage was done, so look at the table
Scotland one point, England 4 points.

Graham Clark

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
🚑 Steve Hooper
Nov 18, 2018
I am surprised that nobody has commented on Scotland’s successful deployment of a 3-5-2. Their execution of the system demonstrated how important effective wing backs need to be. Both Robertson and McDonnll got in advanced positions and executed crosses from dangerous positions. Gil our demonstrated how important it is for the centre-mid is in getting the ball moving quickly. We even had the sight of overlapping centre backs in Tierney as Sheffield United did to great effect in their first season in the Premiership. I hope Ryan Lowe and his team were looking and lewarning if their favoured system is to be the bedrock of the forthcoming season.

That said Scotland at their best failed to beat England at their stultifying insipid worse hellbent on not losing rather than ‘going for it’ to satisfy a doubting supporter base. Then I remembered that this is tournament football where in the group matches it is important not to lose a game, in particular the second game following a win.

England’s persistence in playing Rice and Phillips alongside each other only perpetuated the tippy tippy approach that so irritates. Phillips was far more defective further forward v Croatia. Put Grealish in for Sterling and we won’t be too far off when the real competition begins. A word for Mings who I always saw as a weakness. He has played beyond himself and deserves to stay in the team. I was disappointed in James because he is better than that. Rest Kane for the next game and get him fresh for the knock out stages.

A satisfying draw against the Czechs will see us playing the likes of Sweden or Slovakia rather than anyone in the ‘group of death’. It reminds me a little of 2018 where almost by default we arrived in the semi-finals. Scotland meanwhile will fail to beat Croatia and revel in their glorious failure for another generation and the normal order of Home International football will be restored!

Lousy Pint

Jam First
Sep 23, 2005
Milano
Very disappointed with last night's showing, although I agree with the poster above that Mings played well. Also a mention for Pickford. There were question marks against him, but I think he did very well last night, when he had to. He is vocal, distributes well and generally looked assured.

Not sure finishing second is a good thing. Sweden would be a tough game and if we won that, we'd more than likely face France in the quarters.

Jul 14, 2017
Well we are always consistent, rank average players get hyped to be world beaters and then the realisation hits us in every tournament - we are just not that good - any player that shows a modicum of individual talent is forfeited to players that "play to a system ", and so much for Southgate picking players on form, if that were the case , Kane, Stirling, and Rashford would be warming the bench, a streaky win against Croatia, embarrassing against the Scots (Who played above themselves), so much for the new talent we have in abundance according to the pundits. As usual we will be out in first knock out round , that's if we get past the Czech's !

Mar 14, 2009
I thought to myself, where have l seen this football before.

The way England played last night was watching what Argyle did last season. Played it across the back and out wide. Then went back inside. It was just too slow to break down a team.

When England did have the ball in advanced positions the quality of the crossing was abysmal.

We are obsessed in this country about Guardiola style football. To the point now many clubs, including ourselves and the national team, are trying to play this Spanish style.

Guardiola football is great if you have top players comfortable on the ball and can move it quickly. Xavi and Iniesta. They were unique. Even now the Spanish national team recognise they don’t have this so don’t play this way.

People say it’s good football if you emulate this style. The thing that most teams can copy about Guardiola football is the press. Argyle and England don’t do this anywhere near effectively.

It really frustrates me when l think about the things we should focus on. Like good set pieces. Crosses into the box. Instead we have all these talented no 10’s in a football team and not one of them controls the game or the tempo.

Passing football is all well and good if it’s productive. Somehow in the English game we have coaches who believe it’s good to have pocession for the sake of it. It doesn’t hurt anyone. Only ourselves as we often see because we move it so slow we end up going nowhere.

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
Approaching the tournament people were mainly worried about our defence, but with 4 out of 4 clean sheets yet just 3 goals from Austria, Romania, Croatia & Scotland, it’s becoming clear that Southgate’s over-defensive mindset stifling our forward players should be the main worry.