England v Italy | Page 4 | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

England v Italy

Forest of Dean Green

✅ Evergreen
Mar 5, 2009
Gloucestershire
Tbh the Italians were the best team through the tournament. Southgate didn’t change it up like he has in other games and it felt unfair to bring on Rashord and Sancho with no opportunity to effect the game other than a penalty. But we got to a final. I’m 51 and never seen one of them. Boys did well. With style and poise overall. Semi. Final. Winners????

Reactions: Lev Yashin

German Shepherd

🚑 Steve Hooper
Oct 2, 2009
Fulwood Lancs
Metal_Green_Mickey":31t5qe4n said:
up_the_line":31t5qe4n said:
Proud to have reached the final.
Proud of the first half performance.
Second half was a silly silly attempt at seeing out 45 minutes.
Grealish on too late for Mount who didn't do anything.
Always worry when players are put on very late specifically to take penalties...they aren't focused, or warmed up. Felt giving the very young Sako the fifth penalty is actually cruel.
Definite red for Georginio.
Some errors, but there isn't a better man than Southgate going forward.

That could have been me writing that.. I've never forgiven Southgate for his lack of action when 1 up against Croatia & being totally outplayed, the same happened tonight as you say.

A good manager, like a good player, learns from his mistakes.

2018. Tripper scores. We sit back and try to hold out.

2021. Shaw scores. We sit back and try to hold out.

3 years on what on earth has changed from the cautious, defensive in game tactics in Russia?

People might think this is harsh. We reached only our 2nd final. Yet tonight we allowed Italy to dominate us. Just like Modric for Croatia just swap for Jorginho for Italy. They pressed us. We just sat in a line 40 yards out.

Southgate won’t win anything with England. You can’t beat the super power nations playing this way. Yet the FA will think it’s progress. We might of reached a final but the football is not good to watch. Look at how Spain caused Italy problems. We just had no idea.

I guess lm just watching a different game to others because just like last season with Argyle you can see the performances and you know when your a top team. I will get told lm an idiot but so be it.

I’m gutted we lost. More gutted though our approach to that game. For me it’s not brave.

Aug 14, 2014
Italy made the necessary adjustments during half time to consolidate their dominance during the latter part of the first half. 15 or so minutes into the second half the tactical and player changes requiring ball carriers never happened and the pressure grew on the defence. The big boot out of defence merely set up the next wave of Italian attack.
So disappointed, as the introduction of Grealish showed, in extra time, what might have been during the last 30 mins of the second half with both him and another going at the Italian defence.

Sep 6, 2006
PL2 3DQ":3g0mc2yc said:
Ottawa Green":3g0mc2yc said:
England GOODBYE

I feel sorry for you to be so distanced and lacking emotion and empathy living in a another country to post something like that so instantly after a gut wrenching defeat for ENGLAND fans.

Agreed. He does it after every game. What the hell is the point? Sad.

Andy S

Administrator
Staff member
🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 15, 2003
1. Italy were lucky not to be finishing the game with 9 players.

2. I thought my missus had changed channels and we were watching Come Dancing at the end.

3. Southgate should appoint Paul Wotton to the coaching staff and teach the pussyfooted idiots how to take a proper penalty.

4. I’m like Mike, I watched this with no emotion whatsoever. It makes it an awful lot easier to deal with defeat...especially in those circumstances.

AdelaideGreen

🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺
Jan 11, 2017
The players who "missed" their penalties are receiving racist abuse on social media.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/football/t ... 061898bee3

Not a happy aftermath.

Asking players to have their first touch of the ball in a penalty shootout is unfair.
IMHO, if anyone is to blame it's Southgate.
The Italian goalkeeper did a great job and should get a lot of the credit.

Jan 30, 2016
Italy too good for us - we were not good enough going forward. All three forwards contributed zilch.
We need a more adventurous manager.

Mar 14, 2009
What is England’s problem over the years. Keeping possession of the ball. In 2021, we are still talking about the same issue.

l had doubts that Southgate had changed from his experiences in 2018. Three years on we still sit back when taking the lead and fail to keep possession of the ball.

l‘m sorry but 30mins onwards yesterday we just sat back. We had warning after warning early in the second half as the Italians crossed it into the box unchallenged, at times. The Italians pressed as a unit. England players just stood in a defensive line 40 yards away from our goal

Southgate is a reactive manager. Not a proactive one.

As fans we get consumed by results. We dismiss the performance. We dismiss what we are watching because we won. The questions about how we won are suddenly irrelevant, because we won.

Southgate has done the best he can. The players have given everything. For that l am proud of them and say a thank you for some great memories.

However, let’s not kid ourselves. Southgate isn’t the man to win a World Cup or Euros. He doesn’t have the tactical skill set in game to change things. He will always revert back to caution.

We also need players who like the ball. Keep possession. Yesterday we just booted it to no one at times. We talk about progression but until England players are comfortable on the ball under pressure we won’t win a major tournament.

Reactions: Bernie Bernbaum
Jun 21, 2021
Thought we were Adamsesque in the second half. Not a bad thing if the opposition is clearly superior but with a talented team we really could have made more of an attempt. Southgate would have been lauded for his tactical genius though if the pens went the other way. Like many here I felt strangely resigned at the end based on previous failures. And never as painful as an Argyle relegation.

Pogleswoody

R.I.P
Jul 3, 2006
Location Location
Hoping for Sancho in ET but we stayed with Henderson. Then, having failed to win it in open play, he takes Henderson off, puts Sancho on. Tactical says the commentator, Henderson wouldn't take a penalty. So the 31 yo Liverpool Captain can't take a pen but a 19 yo Arsenal newbie gets to take THE pen?? Before ET he was talking to Grealish, asks a question, Grealish nods, Southgate writes his name down. What was the question?; want to take the 7th pen Jack?? FFS! :unsure:

Lev Yashin

🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Aug 1, 2017
Canada
Ten minutes into the second half two 35 year old centre backs are strolling around the England half laying off passes left right and centre.
Kane ,Sterling and Mount doing nothing but side to side .
Saka,Grealish,Rashford et al sitting on the bench instead of running at their defence.
Even in penalties Pickford gave us a chance by saving two not a good way to lose.
You win some ,you lose some ,you can’t win them all but it would have been nice!

Mar 14, 2009
Hoping for Sancho in ET but we stayed with Henderson. Then, having failed to win it in open play, he takes Henderson off, puts Sancho on. Tactical says the commentator, Henderson wouldn't take a penalty. So the 31 yo Liverpool Captain can't take a pen but a 19 yo Arsenal newbie gets to take THE pen?? Before ET he was talking to Grealish, asks a question, Grealish nods, Southgate writes his name down. What was the question?; want to take the 7th pen Jack?? FFS! :unsure:

This is where it makes no sense and you realise Southgate isn’t the man.

Columbia in 2018. Henderson is one of the 5 penalty takers. Yes he misses. Yet he still takes one.

Before the tournament starts we have some pre-season games. Henderson takes a penalty that’s awarded to us. Yes he misses again but if he takes a Penalty in a game 6 weeks ago why he is suddenly not even a consideration.

The F.A. can put all the plans they like in place. Until they develop English players who are comfortable on the ball we are going nowhere. This was a home tournament where everything went in our favour.

If people believe we have players that are comfortable on the ball then l’m afraid they managers and the coaches aren’t tactically doing right by them.

Its one thing, or the other. Which ever it is we have a issue that need resolving and if we keep patting ourselves on the back for glorious failure then we aren’t going to progress.

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
It’s easy with hindsight and I suppose that the decision had already been made but, after his superb save from Jorghino, I just so wish that Pickford was told to take the 5th penalty. He was on a role and he would have buried it. We still had experienced players left; Sterling, Shaw, Grealish, for example.
Southgate was proved right with almost all of his tournament selections, including Trippier, who provided the assist for Shaw’s early goal in the Final but when it came to penalties……oh no!!