England v Germany | Page 5 | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

England v Germany

Mar 14, 2009
MickyD":19cwqkpe said:
Just to add my two penn'orth on this whole negativity debate...

I don't give a toss about the national anthem and all the "patriotism" that goes with it - in fact I find both more and more offensive and anachronistic as the years go by - but for me it genuinely is 55 years of hurt because I turned 11 during the 1966 World Cup. (Could it be that it was all so simple then, or has time rewritten every line?) Personally, I don't really care if England win this tournament, or any other, by playing "negatively", and I don't really believe that anyone else does either. The great Dutch team, successive World Cup Final losers in 1974 and 1978, come to mind. Coulda woulda shoulda - but their name isn't on the trophy.

Like other posters, I never watch friendlies or anything other than the most crucial qualifying games any more (I think the last one was the magical Beckham free kick against Greece). TV news-friendly shows of "nationalistic fervour" at Wembley notwithstanding, though, I still live every kick of an England tournament game as if I were 11 years old again. When England go out, I immediately turn the telly off or leave the room (or pub) because I have zero interest in being told exactly how and why they blew it again this particular time.

I feel the same way about the endless re-runs of Italia 90 and Euro 96, too: everyone wallowing in nationalistic nostalgia for something that always, but always (bar '66) ends in failure and heartbreak - which we already know in advance of the montage!

I just do my own thing: I have two large England flags up in my living room at the moment, and they'll stay there until England go out. If they win, the flags will stay there permanently! Well, maybe until next year, at least. Or maybe my family will have something to say on the matter...

I just love debating football. My opinion is just a view point. Probably wrong. Yet in life, to me there are reasons things occur and you can try to improve in everything you do.

Yet l understand your view too. People just support, watch, accept and move on.

There is no right approach. Just different approaches.

At the end of the day we all want the same thing.

Voice of Reason

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 30, 2004
Very much in your camp MGM, I want England to win, I want us to win and the world be in awe, but just finding it so frustrating to watch.
Yes it's about results, but with such attacking talent, it's hard to stomach watching Rice and Phillips who are brilliant at what they do, but I just want one midfielder who can pass, dribble or shoot.
Is it to idealistic to want some imagination in our side, when we have half a dozen attackers in our squad who are worth 100 million?
I hope we are brave against Ukraine, they have looked ropey at the back, but I cant honestly see it.

Dec 30, 2004
Brighton
Having said I don't really care if England win the tournament playing negatively (or at least not particularly positively), I'm actually reasonably confident that they will be more attack-minded against Ukraine. I think they're growing into it, especially now that Kane is off the mark.

I know we're all hyper-critical of our own teams, but let's try to see the bigger picture: if one of the serial winners had done exactly what England have done so far, we'd all be praising their "tournament management" and saying how shrewdly they're building up to the later, bigger games - only most of the serial winners are already out, while we're still there!

Jul 14, 2008
Just reading this thread 3 days after the game. It almost seems fashionable nowadays for people to say they don’t care about the national team etc. Personally I love watching England, maybe it’s because growing up the only live football I could watch was England or Serie A on Channel 4. It’s surprising how many people say they are turned off by the style of football but they are still incredibly passionate about watching a mostly appalling League 1/League 2 side every week.

Sep 6, 2006
So English to deride our own achievements. No doubt even if we won the thing there would be folk saying we didn't win it in style, had an easy run, the games were at Wembley etc.
We haven't conceded a goal, beaten a good(not great) German side with quite a young team and created a lot of joy in the nation during hard times. Its about results not harlem globetrotter pretty football. Dont understand why some can't enjoy it for what it is.

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
Balham_Green":2n8n2uac said:
So English to deride our own achievements. No doubt even if we won the thing there would be folk saying we didn't win it in style, had an easy run, the games were at Wembley etc.
We haven't conceded a goal, beaten a good(not great) German side with quite a young team and created a lot of joy in the nation during hard times. Its about results not harlem globetrotter pretty football. Dont understand why some can't enjoy it for what it is.

100%. And welcome back!

Jan 7, 2007
Plymouth
Voice_of_Reason":1ww5pvn6 said:
Very much in your camp MGM, I want England to win, I want us to win and the world be in awe, but just finding it so frustrating to watch.
Yes it's about results, but with such attacking talent, it's hard to stomach watching Rice and Phillips who are brilliant at what they do, but I just want one midfielder who can pass, dribble or shoot.
Is it to idealistic to want some imagination in our side, when we have half a dozen attackers in our squad who are worth 100 million?
I hope we are brave against Ukraine, they have looked ropey at the back, but I cant honestly see it.

If you don't think Kalvin Phillips can pass, then sorry, but you are beyond help.

Jan 7, 2007
Plymouth
Balham_Green":10g6gx97 said:

Absofrigginlutely!