✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Jun 12, 2006
Hampshire, UK
www.argylegames.org.uk
I still get the thrill when I hear the Sports Report theme tune I got as a small boy sat in our kitchen more than 60 years ago. If I'm in the car at 5 on a Saturday then that's what's playing on the radio! Over 60 years ago we'd probably have no idea how Argyle got on before the full results. Different now when the app on my 'phone will have told me by 10 to 5.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
Yep, must have done many hundreds of away games in the old days, and we all stopped talking when that came on i the car.

ChepstowGreen

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
♣️ SWAG Member
Jade Berrow 23/24
May 1, 2006
Sad times. My dad and I would try to guess the score each time due to James Alexander Gordon's unique delivery.

Am astonished 5 Live would remove something so cherished, but then again the whole station has gone downhill massively in the last few years.

Its 90% banal banter and pathetic jokes, apart from a few of the commentators who are still grown ups and are excellent. The BBC Head of Sport /Head of 5 Live should be ashamed of what a lot of the output is these days.

Apr 12, 2016
Can remember many a time getting back on the coach pre-internet days to hear the results. Dead silent as well with the odd exclamation of amazement when a suprise score was announced.
Not happy about it really - another part of the game we all love gradually being eroded

Apr 9, 2011
Dont you all realise according to the bbc there is no football outside the Premiership:mad:
What is even more ironic is the fact they cant even afford to show any Prem matches live

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
Lots of sentimental stuff here but most people now have apps to gather the results rather than wait for 5pm. It was part of the routine back in the seventies, getting the printed fixture list from the morning’s paper to scribble down the scores, mainly to check dad’s pools coupon. I don’t think I have relied on the radio since then because teletext came along in the 80’s and that became my main source of results.

Reactions: Brussels Bureaucrat
What’s wrong with sentiment? Another great tradition gone. Just suppose the BBC announced the cessation of the shipping forecast. Few of the population are sailors, but the outcry would be enormous. Listeners talk about the poetry and images created by the shipping forecast. I feel the same about the football results. Elderly rant over.

Pogleswoody

R.I.P
Jul 3, 2006
Location Location
Just a disgrace really. Decisions made by people who have no grasp of history and culture which I thought the BBC was supposed to be about?

It isn't 'sentimental stuff' Lundan, it is 'soul' it is 'history' it is 'tradition'.

Let's choose: practicality + modernism + trendiness vs soul + history + tradition? I'll take the second option!

Reactions: (I'm)Stranded

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
Not sure about the argument about getting it elsewhere/on your phone.

If you’re listening to the radio, then you won’t be looking at your phone… indeed you might be listening to the radio to escape your phone! And visually impaired people may be using it also.

I suspect they’ll reverse it after the backlash, it’s only 5 minutes and they must be able to fit it somewhere.