Drinking alcohol in your seat | Page 5 | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Drinking alcohol in your seat

Should fans be able to drink alcohol in their seat?

• Total voters
Jan 21, 2007
My Mrs uses beer shampoo, says it’s very good, and I quite like the idea of using something to get the chewed up pasties that the two fat guys behind me tend to spit into the back of my head for 90 minutes

Reactions: saxman
May 16, 2016
I never drink when attending football matches. I did once at a Rugby game but quickly lost interest in what was happening on the pitch.

It would be far easier and less problematic to simply ban all non corporate alcohol sales at football games. Dry stadia, if you can't manage a couple of hours without, maybe best to not go.

Sep 6, 2006
I never drink when attending football matches. I did once at a Rugby game but quickly lost interest in what was happening on the pitch.

It would be far easier and less problematic to simply ban all non corporate alcohol sales at football games. Dry stadia, if you can't manage a couple of hours without, maybe best to not go.
And how much income would be lost? What about closing pubs too ?

Oct 31, 2015

Bloody hell that's the GTs out of business then🙄

Mar 23, 2019

It's crazy how badly some people want this country to become like North Korea. Let people do what they want.

Apr 16, 2019
Serious question...why not just have a pint after the match? There is no way I would risk missing 10 minutes of the match for a
Serious question...why not just have a pint after the match? There is no way I would risk missing 10 minutes of the match for a beer.
Your preference to not drink beer at a football match is your own privelige, I like a beer when I’m watching football. Everyone enjoys their matchday experience differently, and that’s what makes it good for each individual.

I personally would prefer to not wait over 10 mins to get served and have a battle on my hands every half time to get to the bar. Each to their own. Just putting a point of view out there, which seems to be different to the majority on this thread, but I don’t think that makes it wrong.

This change probably won’t happen anyway, but I think it would be a good thing.

I do have a pint after the match as well by the way, and my point is that I feel I shouldn’t have to miss 10 mins of the game due to the fact that the catering at Argyle is bobbins.

I support any ideas to improve this situation

Feb 8, 2005
Your preference to not drink beer at a football match is your own privelige, I like a beer when I’m watching football. Everyone enjoys their matchday experience differently, and that’s what makes it good for each individual.

I personally would prefer to not wait over 10 mins to get served and have a battle on my hands every half time to get to the bar. Each to their own. Just putting a point of view out there, which seems to be different to the majority on this thread, but I don’t think that makes it wrong.

This change probably won’t happen anyway, but I think it would be a good thing.

I do have a pint after the match as well by the way, and my point is that I feel I shouldn’t have to miss 10 mins of the game due to the fact that the catering at Argyle is bobbins.

I support any ideas to improve this situation
How about NOT getting a pint at half time and NOT missing any of the match.

You ought to try it!

Reactions: saffronwalden green
Jun 27, 2019

It's not about whether people can manage to go a couple of hours without a drink. Unless you think everyone who has a pint or two at a football match is an alcoholic - which would be quite an accusation. It enhances the experience for some, just like it does with a meal in a restaurant or even at the cinema. Would it be best for those people to stay at home too? If your logic was implemented, the entire hospitality industry would collapse.

As for banning alcohol sales outside of corporate, alcohol sales are crucial to many smaller clubs. Selling a few pints of lager may not mean much to Man Utd, but they're in the lucky minority.

Reactions: Stpl7
Jan 6, 2004
Amazes me how so many football fans are happy to infantalised. Of course drinking should be allowed as it is in every other sport and every other country. It was banned as a result of the particular situation in English football grounds in the 80s and was certainly justified then but things are very different now. I would however agree bars should be shut during play itself, football is too intense to put up with people pushing past you every 5 minutes juggling pints of beer as they do in cricket and rugby

Reactions: rsp4
Jan 7, 2007
Plymouth
Amazes me how so many football fans are happy to infantalised. Of course drinking should be allowed as it is in every other sport and every other country. It was banned as a result of the particular situation in English football grounds in the 80s and was certainly justified then but things are very different now. I would however agree bars should be shut during play itself, football is too intense to put up with people pushing past you every 5 minutes juggling pints of beer as they do in cricket and rugby
In Fanta lies the answer perhaps...

Feb 26, 2012
Ivybridge
Unfortunately alcohol infantilises fans. I love a beer, Just not at football. My behaviour (not drinking) has no adverse effect on my fellow supporters. Other fans behaviour (drinking) has had an adverse effect on my enjoyment of a game...at the extreme end violence, at the less extreme end fairly constant interruptions with toilet breaks and taking seats late. I've had some nightmare scenarios over the years where fans have not only been drunk, but also verbally and physically violent topped off with a good old bit of racist chanting...not great. It's a minority I know but it kind of takes the enjoyment out of the experience.

Reactions: Andy70
I think the whole football watching experience has changed dramatically for the better in the past 30 years, from a male dominated and laddish bovver culture, mainly drink fuelled, to a family experience, including many women. Punch ups, bad language, racist abuse is all on the decline, and I can’t help but think that encouraging the very small minority to pursue the old ways by allowing more drink would be a backward step. A bit hard on the majority of us who, like me, would really enjoy a pint whilst watching, but overall I think it’s a price worth paying.

Jan 6, 2004
If you close the bars during play the only difference would be that people could take their drink to the seat rather than having to down it before hand - I really dont see how that is going to create more punch ups, abuse etc...

Aug 16, 2021
The issue will be more about when argyle score and people end up covered in beer. Old Stan down the front is gonna quickly get pee'd off when young Levi at the back lobs his beer all over him.

I don't understand why they want to bring it back. People understand if they want a beer during the game, it's under the concourse at half time, and that's accepted. If it ain't broke.......don't fix it!