Drinking alcohol in your seat | Page 4 | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Drinking alcohol in your seat

Should fans be able to drink alcohol in their seat?

• Total voters

Bryan Tregunna

šŸ† Callum Wright 23/24
šŸŽ« S.T. Donor šŸŽ«
Sep 22, 2003
I share the concerns of most on here that being soaked with beer following a goal is not something to be endured. But does that say more about 'the minority of football fans' than the actual idea?

I wonder if most on here are against as we ARE scoring goals - when the problem is perceived to arise. Had this had been floated last season perhaps we might have voted differently?

Oct 31, 2015
I'm against it purely on the fact of people getting up and down. It winds me up when kids bladders can't wait 45 minutes for a half of football let alone the same kids getting and 2 or 3 times a half to top up.

I enjoy a couple pints of apples before a game but it's a no from me during the play.

Aug 8, 2013
Worcester
Drinking as part of a day out at the football has a bit of a binge culture because of the ban in seats in my opinion. A half time swifty is often necked as the game is restarting by the time you're served as well.

There'd probably be a more sensible staggering of drinks across the day out if the ban was lifted, rather than a rush pre KO.

I don't buy this "English football fans are scum that can't be trusted" pov. You get knobheads now anyway, beers in stands isn't a cause nor the ban a solution.

Reactions: leeroy221 and Daz
Dec 3, 2005
I dont think it will be a good idea - for the reasons already mentioned by various people.
If it did come in - it would only work if the bar SHUT when the game was being played - to stop people going to and wro to get extra pints.
But like I say i am against it and i doubt if the stewards would like the idea - having to control drunk supporters.

Reactions: GCH1965

Daz

Administrator
Staff member
āœ… Evergreen
Pasoti Quiz Champions
āœØPasoti DonorāœØ
Sep 30, 2003
Drinking as part of a day out at the football has a bit of a binge culture because of the ban in seats in my opinion. A half time swifty is often necked as the game is restarting by the time you're served as well.

There'd probably be a more sensible staggering of drinks across the day out if the ban was lifted, rather than a rush pre KO.

I don't buy this "English football fans are scum that can't be trusted" pov. You get knobheads now anyway, beers in stands isn't a cause nor the ban a solution.
Very good post.

Reading this thread you would think that people all over the world arenā€™t able to have a pint and watch a sport.

OnicknowlePete

šŸ† Callum Wright 23/24
āœ… Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
šŸŽ« S.T. Donor šŸŽ«
šŸš‘ Steve Hooper
Auction Winner šŸ‘Øā€āš–ļø
āœØPasoti DonorāœØ
šŸŒŸSparksy MuralšŸŒŸ
Apr 6, 2004
Plymouth
I enjoy a beer before the game, but i wonder where would you put your beers sat down or stood up, with people coming to and fro, and we know what happens when a goal is scored, so i would leave it as it is. If your watching sedate sports like cricket and rugby then it is not a problem. In response to half time queues they need to prepour based on their usual demand and reduce the wait times. When i get a tribute can, they always pour as you order which is time consuming so hence long queues,
pete

Reactions: leeroy221
Apr 16, 2019
See my below post cut and paste from 29th Aug for reference. Iā€™m all for a change in the way drinking alcohol in football stadiums is managed. Itā€™s the same week in week out at home park in the Devonport End and it does my head in. Pints in the standsā€¦ā€¦bring it on, I donā€™t really care if they get sprayed everywhere when a goal goes in either to be honest, thatā€™s just the way I feel about it.

29/8/21
This is not working.

Every home match at half time, for some reason people seem to form one thin queue in the centre of the bar/kiosk. This extends right to the back of the concourse and then ā€˜fans outā€™ both left and right, preventing people from passing at the back and walking through to get to the toilets.

People who want to pass through to get to the toilet cut through the middle thin part of the queue as this is the easiest place to pass. Some people try their chances and covertly ā€˜push inā€™ (which technically isnā€™t pushing in as they fill up the red lines that people should be stood on in the first place anyway) at the middle, and others try to join the back of the queue but canā€™t find it because it snakes both left and right and becomes an absolute ball of chalk - they inadvertently ā€˜push inā€™ in front of others anyway.

I canā€™t understand it, as there are red lines on the floor that have been put there to show people where they should stand when queuing for refreshments, yet no one seems to take notice or they are unaware.

Mega frustrating for me at the Fleetwood game as I got accused of pushing in myself by a bloke who had obviously been waiting for ages and was quite rightly annoyed, having seen lots of people getting in ahead of him probably, and clearly I may have been one of them - I was one of the people trying to join the back of the queue which was a complete mess - no one knows where it starts!

Thought it was going to kick off at one point, and it put a bit of a downer on the day for me. Nothing against the bloke at all - I get his frustration, and I made sure he got there in front of me in the queue as he had clearly had enough. I tried to explain about the red lines, but he said ā€˜we all know where the queue starts mateā€™.

Well itā€™s pretty clear to me that not everyone does know this or people understand it differently.

Loads of people pushing in front of me too, it boils my p###.

In my opinion this is a concourse scrap waiting to happen and the stewards need to try to get a grip of it and direct the queues more effectively - itā€™s really getting on my wick, as the last thing I want to be doing is having disagreements with fellow fans in the ā€˜queueā€™ who are getting more and more annoyed every half time as the price to pay for having a pint at half time is Ā£5 and missing at least 10 mins of the second half.

Did speak to the steward about it at half time but he said theyā€™ve already tried everything, people just queue where they want anyway.

Is it just me thatā€™s getting annoyed with this? Iā€™ve been a ST holder for a quite a while now and itā€™s deffo the worst itā€™s been (for me) currently.

Apologies for the rant, had to get it off my chestā€¦ā€¦

Reactions: Granby Green
Dec 3, 2005
I share the concerns of most on here that being soaked with beer following a goal is not something to be endured. But does that say more about 'the minority of football fans' than the actual idea?

I wonder if most on here are against as we ARE scoring goals - when the problem is perceived to arise. Had this had been floated last season perhaps we might have voted differently?
No-one was there last season ;)

C

Cult Of Personality

Personally not going to drink myself. If you cant go without a drink for two hours then you have a serious problem that needs looking at. But plastic cups and over priced beer is your thing go for it . More money in the club's pocket I would imagine

Jan 7, 2007
Plymouth
Absolute no from me. Blokes down the front of my block are sh!t faced most games, always late arriving to their seats & jumping out early at half time for a top up. Allow them to drink in their seats they'll be up & down like a whore's drawers all through the game.

Feb 26, 2012
Ivybridge
I have never understood the need to drink at sporting events. I like the occasional drink in a bar or at home but at football (cricket, rugby...)? I just don't get it. It can make the whole experience incredibly unpleasant...some people get aggressive, some are going to the bog every 15 minutes, and now we have the potential horror of beer chucking when a goal is scored. I get the same reaction when I fly...whatever time of day it is, no matter how short the flight...there are people who have got to have a drink!

Feb 26, 2012
Ivybridge
See my below post cut and paste from 29th Aug for reference. Iā€™m all for a change in the way drinking alcohol in football stadiums is managed. Itā€™s the same week in week out at home park in the Devonport End and it does my head in. Pints in the standsā€¦ā€¦bring it on, I donā€™t really care if they get sprayed everywhere when a goal goes in either to be honest, thatā€™s just the way I feel about it.

29/8/21
This is not working.

Every home match at half time, for some reason people seem to form one thin queue in the centre of the bar/kiosk. This extends right to the back of the concourse and then ā€˜fans outā€™ both left and right, preventing people from passing at the back and walking through to get to the toilets.

People who want to pass through to get to the toilet cut through the middle thin part of the queue as this is the easiest place to pass. Some people try their chances and covertly ā€˜push inā€™ (which technically isnā€™t pushing in as they fill up the red lines that people should be stood on in the first place anyway) at the middle, and others try to join the back of the queue but canā€™t find it because it snakes both left and right and becomes an absolute ball of chalk - they inadvertently ā€˜push inā€™ in front of others anyway.

I canā€™t understand it, as there are red lines on the floor that have been put there to show people where they should stand when queuing for refreshments, yet no one seems to take notice or they are unaware.

Mega frustrating for me at the Fleetwood game as I got accused of pushing in myself by a bloke who had obviously been waiting for ages and was quite rightly annoyed, having seen lots of people getting in ahead of him probably, and clearly I may have been one of them - I was one of the people trying to join the back of the queue which was a complete mess - no one knows where it starts!

Thought it was going to kick off at one point, and it put a bit of a downer on the day for me. Nothing against the bloke at all - I get his frustration, and I made sure he got there in front of me in the queue as he had clearly had enough. I tried to explain about the red lines, but he said ā€˜we all know where the queue starts mateā€™.

Well itā€™s pretty clear to me that not everyone does know this or people understand it differently.

Loads of people pushing in front of me too, it boils my p###.

In my opinion this is a concourse scrap waiting to happen and the stewards need to try to get a grip of it and direct the queues more effectively - itā€™s really getting on my wick, as the last thing I want to be doing is having disagreements with fellow fans in the ā€˜queueā€™ who are getting more and more annoyed every half time as the price to pay for having a pint at half time is Ā£5 and missing at least 10 mins of the second half.

Did speak to the steward about it at half time but he said theyā€™ve already tried everything, people just queue where they want anyway.

Is it just me thatā€™s getting annoyed with this? Iā€™ve been a ST holder for a quite a while now and itā€™s deffo the worst itā€™s been (for me) currently.

Apologies for the rant, had to get it off my chestā€¦ā€¦
Serious question...why not just have a pint after the match? There is no way I would risk missing 10 minutes of the match for a beer.