Drinking alcohol in your seat | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Drinking alcohol in your seat

Should fans be able to drink alcohol in their seat?

• Total voters
Jun 27, 2019
It looks like the ban on drinking while sat in your seat might be lifted: Guardian article.

I'm in two minds about it. I like to have a pre-match beer at Argyle and would like to take one to my seat rather than drink standing up in a crowded concourse (especially in the Covid era). On the other hand, the boorish minority will use it as an excuse to drink even more than they already do and ruin the experience for everyone.

The review seems to think it'll bring an end to binge drinking before the match, which it might do for some people. Sadly the minority will use it as an excuse to drink even more and I would not want to be sat next to those people.

Reactions: Mork

up the line

🚑 Steve Hooper
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 7, 2010
Manchester
This is, overall good news.
I've been saying since the start of the season that it makes no sense to have the concourses crowded if supporters can be trusted to drink at their seats as they are in every other country

Shocking

✅ Evergreen
Jan 29, 2006
Breage
I attended a Brisbane Roar game at the Suncorp Stadium a few years ago and thoroughly enjoyed drinking a beer in my seat. As were the the other fans around me. No aggro, no problems. I’m afraid it will only be the ones who drink excessively or cant hold their beer that will cause problems and spoil it for others.

up the line

🚑 Steve Hooper
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 7, 2010
Manchester
Great until idiots start chucking beer around, no thanks. If you cant watch a football game without drinking throughout, go to a pub.
I think the point of this, in the covid era, would be to disperse people from crowded indoor areas where they would normally be drinking.

It might also encourage slower drinking rather than the last second downing as the second half kicks off. Another possible positive being less disruption as people return to their seats late.

Reactions: Penmaster
Nov 2, 2004
I think the point of this, in the covid era, would be to disperse people from crowded indoor areas where they would normally be drinking.

It might also encourage slower drinking rather than the last second downing as the second half kicks off. Another possible positive being less disruption as people return to their seats late.
It will still be as crowded getting the beer, the toilet ques will be endless, people will be getting up to get another drink and it will be thrown everywhere by idiots. This is a really bad idea which may also lead to fans arguing and punch ups. That's not even thinking about the away supporters who are often already drunk, continuing to drink and creating mayhem as our third goal goes in.

up the line

🚑 Steve Hooper
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 7, 2010
Manchester
It will still be as crowded getting the beer, the toilet ques will be endless, people will be getting up to get another drink and it will be thrown everywhere by idiots. This is a really bad idea which may also lead to fans arguing and punch ups. That's not even thinking about the away supporters who are often already drunk, continuing to drink and creating mayhem as our third goal goes in.
Well that's just an English problem then because wherever else I've been to watch football it seems to work without any mayhem and no 'throwing around' of beers.

Nov 2, 2004
Well that's just an English problem then because wherever else I've been to watch football it seems to work without any mayhem and no 'throwing around' of beers.
We have always had lots of problems at football which other countries do not have.we also have loads of problems in pubs which many other countries do not have.

Feb 8, 2005
I cannot see football clubs bringing in all stadium drinking.

I can see alcohol being available for those in choice seats, as part of a package, maybe, as we do with hospitality at the moment. They could perhaps be allowed to take their drinks with them to their seats, but I can see chaos if drinking is allowed throughout the stadium.

Nov 18, 2011
I go to a lot of non league where you can drink and I've never seen any trouble. It should stop people necking a pint in 2 mins pre match or during half time.

If the bars actually enforced the law and did not serve anyone who is intoxicated then I don't see a problem with it.

Reactions: metroace

Tim Roughton

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Sep 17, 2003
London
I would support the return of drinking from your seat. I go to cricket and rugby matches and enjoy having a drink whilst watching the match - without any issues. It seems absurd to me that football fans can't be trusted in the same way. As others of said, it will prevent the "downing" culture we see before the game and at half time.

Having said that, it's a certainty that beers will got tossed around when a big goal is scored. That's gonna pee some people off.

Reactions: leeroy221
Jun 27, 2019
One good idea I've heard is that clubs could have drinking blocks or stands. They do this at many cricket grounds, where there's always one stand in which drinking isn't permitted.

So perhaps there could be specific sections of Home Park where alcohol isn't permitted, allowing those who don't want to sit next to drinkers the option not to.

Dec 30, 2020
I went to watch Dortmund play Leverkusen in Germany a few years ago, was sat right by the away fans and beers (and other detritus) were constantly being flung back and forth. Loads of people got drenched, including an older gent who copped a full pint (thankfully in a plastic glass) square in the face. I think in England where stewarding is more aggressive this wouldn't be such a problem though. In fact the option of licensing alcohol sales in certain parts of the ground (eg not right next to the away section) might be a counter-intuitive way of improving safety and moderating fans behaviour

Nov 18, 2011
One good idea I've heard is that clubs could have drinking blocks or stands. They do this at many cricket grounds, where there's always one stand in which drinking isn't permitted.

So perhaps there could be specific sections of Home Park where alcohol isn't permitted, allowing those who don't want to sit next to drinkers the option not to.
Sounds like a good idea to me. Perhaps the drinking areas could also be ones with safe standing in place.