Drinking alcohol in your seat | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Drinking alcohol in your seat

Should fans be able to drink alcohol in their seat?

• Total voters
Feb 21, 2012
Plymouth
It looks like the ban on drinking while sat in your seat might be lifted: Guardian article.

I'm in two minds about it. I like to have a pre-match beer at Argyle and would like to take one to my seat rather than drink standing up in a crowded concourse (especially in the Covid era). On the other hand, the boorish minority will use it as an excuse to drink even more than they already do and ruin the experience for everyone.

The review seems to think it'll bring an end to binge drinking before the match, which it might do for some people. Sadly the minority will use it as an excuse to drink even more and I would not want to be sat next to those people.
Or in front of!

meetoo

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jul 29, 2010
Even at the Tom Jones concert last week some ‘spectators’ saw fit to throw alcohol around from their seats 🙄

• Angry
Reactions: David Doidge
Feb 15, 2005
I love some posters saying they can drink at cricket and rugby matches as if they are the same as a football crowd. What planet are these folk on, I concur with the view of “why is It being considered”.

Apr 24, 2013
disaster waiting to happen, if people get beer chucked over them it will start to put off fans expecially familys with children.

Emu

Oct 3, 2003
Sarf London
disaster waiting to happen, if people get beer chucked over them it will start to put off fans expecially familys with children.
Sadly I agree.
As suggested earlier, I think the best way would be to make a couple of the blocks for drinkers

mutley marvel

Cream First
✅ Evergreen
Feb 13, 2021
Whats to say it will encourage people to drink more as they will know they can top up in the concourse before kick off then take more alcohol to their seat- or stagger to their seat with a plastic glass of whatever

Where do you draw the line

What if a customer is refused service because they are deemed to intoxicated
What will the remit of stewards be when they see intoxicated people in the crowd losing control of their senses because they cant handle the alcohol they continue to consume
Will sober supporters tolerate the shenanigans of a a intoxicated supporter who is sat next to them with alcohol in hand
And if we score the amount of alcohol thrown over the place - i dont think many supporters would appreciate various alcoholic beverages covering their person- especially if children are with them
The cynic in me thinks it is purely a money making exercise - some people do not know when enough is enough & if they are allowed to take alcohol to their seat will they be allowed to continually leave their seat during the 1st half & 2nd half to get more alcohol
Or will the powers that be have strict guidelines that clubs have to follow with regards to the policing of this
I just hope if this becomes the new normal it does not turn into a serious home goal for the club - as they will not want supporters having 2nd thoughts about attending matches because of the actions of a small minority

Feb 13, 2021
I think it’s a stupid idea for obvious reasons !
Maybe corporate side but not amongst the crowd in general! Asking for trouble!

The ONLY reason I can see as being "awkward" - AND I love a beer or twelve - is the sheer INCONVENIENCE of customers constantly toing and froing from the bar to seats.

It is BOUND to create aggravation and add that to a few beers in some people = PROBLEM ?

Not sure it is a good idea ?