Don't Forget Why.. | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Don't Forget Why..

Aug 15, 2008
With levels of angst and vitriol rising among the Fanbase let's redirect it toward the old regime that have destroyed a once financially sound Club - a regime that desecrated 125 years of history in a blink of an eye, and a regime that brought the progress of PAFC to a shuddering halt.
When you reflect on all that's happened it is quite abhorrent.
The on pitch tribulations are rooted in the destruction of our Club by Roy Gardener and his entourage.

Not using it to excuse anyone but just to add some facts to a debate that's lost sight of a few core tenets.

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
I'm too tired to bring up the past, its exhausting.

What I am trying to do is look to the future. That's my worry right now.

Jan 27, 2012
The turning point came when the Council sold the ground to the club. At around the same time, the Council released a plan indicating that parts of Home Park could be used for retail and hotel uses to fund grandstand enhancements. That is when Kagami came on the scene shortly followed by Sir Roy Gardner and his entourage.

I fear that James Brent is also here for the development- although I also hope he has some sort of interest in the running of the club as well.

I will be relieved when the grandstand, hotel and retail units are built and all the development profits have been made. Hopefully the Council will retain ownership of the stadium and the club will continue to lease it from them. Then we can go back to people running the club for FOOTBALL reasons again.

The Council made a big mistake selling the ground to PAFC. Michael Foot was opposed to the club owning it and he was proven correct. But even he would have been surprised at how quickly the vultures started circling.

Feb 21, 2011
Bermudian Green":3qp083v8 said:
I'd like to rip Gardner's testicles from his body, stuff them in his mouth and force him to watch Dorchester away until he begs for mercy.
Whilst Todd has his skin peeled from his body with a blunt knife.

Feb 29, 2008
It's still possible for Brent's boys to underperform the players of last season, I think the looking back needs to be put on hold. IMO we have been saved by another developer anyway, let's hope he really does have this strong moral code we are led to believe in. :funny:

Jun 23, 2011
Plymouth
BadBoy":uscjnz7x said:
Bermudian Green":uscjnz7x said:
I'd like to rip Gardner's testicles from his body, stuff them in his mouth and force him to watch Dorchester away until he begs for mercy.
Whilst Todd has his skin peeled from his body with a blunt knife.

:scarf: :scarf: :scarf:

Jun 21, 2005
N Hampshire
The position we're in now is more to do with the current regime. Fletch was appointed by Ridsdale as a quick fix cheap option, hence the situation. His signings haven't quite worked out particularly well Lowry & Griffiths for example.

Tactics, coaching & game strategy is poor. How many times have we been out thought, I hardly think that's the fault of M7. Let's just remember this is not a hard league full of quality teams.

jerryatricjanner

✅ Evergreen
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 22, 2006
Greenblooded1":hgp006jt said:
The position we're in now is more to do with the current regime. Fletch was appointed by Ridsdale as a quick fix cheap option, hence the situation. His signings haven't quite worked out particularly well Lowry & Griffiths for example.

Tactics, coaching & game strategy is poor. How many times have we been out thought, I hardly think that's the fault of M7. Let's just remember this is not a hard league full of quality teams.
Exactly, it is a poor league, we have a budget the likes of which Morecambe, Accrington, Burton, Dagenham and our 2 Devon rivals to name but a Cornish handful could only dream of and we trail them all. I appreciate the likes of Esmer want Fletcher to have as much time as possible but "until the end of next season at least". Are you serious Esmer? How many managers are given almost 3 seasons to get it right? I still say until the Exeter game mid December but no longer. That will be about 60 games with a full pre season in the middle and a generous budget by this league's standards. It has not been spent well, we have a surplus of players, we are physically lightweight, we have very few players in the peak age range for professional football, an inexperienced coaching staff to add to the manager, we can't blame all the current lack of progress on the M7. They got us here unquestionably, but starting from last November we have had the resources for this league to be doing a whole lot better. 4 defeats on the trot and the runaway leaders to come, it does not bode well but if we are still struggling in a month and lose to our bitterest rivals then Fletch's position will be untenable.

Jul 6, 2011
Tugboat":32aokf0o said:

It's also easy to ignore our own part in our downfall

Remember "Voting with our feet."

G

Greenskin

briangreen":36byqmkr said:
Tugboat":36byqmkr said:

It's also easy to ignore our own part in our downfall

Remember "Voting with our feet."

Ah yes,the fans are to blame.I seem to remember one or two such statements springing from your good self just recently-what was it now,players haven't wanted to come to Argyle in the past because of a bad crowd reputation? And what was the other one-you can't win with the average Argyle supporter? I take it that you're far better than the "average Argyle supporter" to make statements of truth,sagacity and depth.It's a fact of life that people will "vote with their feet",especially at a club with a rather volatile and cynical fan base [resultant from decades of underachievement and broken dreams and promises] such as ours.I don't know how long you've been a supporter but believe me the cynicism is very deep rooted and deserved-a brief position in the upper echelons of the championship was never going to be enough to reverse the entrenched attitudes.And in any case,Argyle's gates in the second tier were at times as good as or better than other clubs such as Blackpool,Stoke,Swansea,Cardiff,Burnley etc,all of whom have made significant progress since,so it may be wise to look elsewhere before apportioning too much blame to the great unwashed.Argyle had the fifth biggest gate in the division in our solitary season back in the third tier and the fourth biggest last season, a position which has been maintained by and large this year.I don't dispute the fact that Gardiner and co were incompetent and greedy fecktards and should be duly castigated for their part in the clubs downfall [the same could be said of previous directorates as well] but it's time to move on from that now.Argyle have basically started from a position of being free from debt [pressing debt,at least] and with a fan base which is excellent for the division [with power to add more should a successful team be assembled] and directors and management should be judged according to those circumstances.

Dec 19, 2008
gaspargomez":1fn76ihu said:
The turning point came when the Council sold the ground to the club. At around the same time, the Council released a plan indicating that parts of Home Park could be used for retail and hotel uses to fund grandstand enhancements. That is when Kagami came on the scene shortly followed by Sir Roy Gardner and his entourage.

I fear that James Brent is also here for the development- although I also hope he has some sort of interest in the running of the club as well.

I will be relieved when the grandstand, hotel and retail units are built and all the development profits have been made. Hopefully the Council will retain ownership of the stadium and the club will continue to lease it from them. Then we can go back to people running the club for FOOTBALL reasons again.

The Council made a big mistake selling the ground to PAFC. Michael Foot was opposed to the club owning it and he was proven correct. But even he would have been surprised at how quickly the vultures started circling.

What did James Brent genuinely pay for the club?

To me, he seems to have a fabulous deal indeed and the fact that PCC had just started on the Life Centre when all of this started to happen meant the last thing they needed right next door was an empty football stadium covered in weeds and rust. Most of the land wasn't bought back by PCC - this is going to be where James Brent makes his real cash - by developing that land. PCC got a good investment by buying the ground back as long as there is a club playing on it - the rent they'll receive is a good investment for them. The club, I see as a loss leader to that development. There's also a lot of prestige to be had by being the owner of the local club and that does help when you are trying to convince those who grant planning applications to grant you permission to build hotels and ice-rinks and retail outlets in the middle of Central Park. It was a very shrewd move from a business sense and we've been told over and over again that James Brent wants to see the club be self sufficient.

That means that if our crowds keep going down, our budget will fall accordingly and more staff will be made redundant.

It's been a good deal for PCC and for James Brent but we as fans aren't going to be very happy unless James Brent puts his hand in his pocket and buys some players/a new manager - but he won't.

I'm not sure what the point of that post was to be honest other than me expressing a defeatist and depressed tone. that's how I feel right now when I think about PAFC - it's certainly not a club I am proud to support right now.

I've said this a few times but having one owner isn't great in the lower leagues - you need more than just one person with a finger on the voting button.

Aug 21, 2011
Vladivostok
It all hit home a moment ago when I read the Gills pre-match review and saw £3 mill for Halmosi ?? and £500K a piece for McClown and Waltz ??? Talk about wasting money ??