• Welcome to PASOTI (Sponsored by GA Solictors and Lang & Potter)

Donald Trump

MickyD

Pasoti Donor
Dec 30, 2004
Brighton
pilgrimage":2bs5la7l said:
Guiness book of records. Longest audit ever.
Not to mention totally irrelevant. From another CNN article on the matter:

Being under audit by the IRS does not preclude someone from releasing their tax returns publicly. But that hasn't stopped Trump from using it as a defense against releasing his financial information.

The President, however, is under no obligation to hold his tax returns while under audit, despite his repeated claims otherwise.

Jul 15, 2006
Kenton, Devon
From what I've briefly seen around the tax returns, I suspect that there's probably very little there which he can be hanged on: he's probably got lots of good accountants to do lots of close-to-the-wind-but-within-the-law tax avoidance, but nothing out and out illegal. It would probably be enough to damage any Presidential campaign for anyone else in normal times ... but these aren't normal times.

But Ivanka - she could be in serious trouble. I'm sure the IRS would like to have a chat with her about taking pay as a consultant while on the payroll of the Trump company as an employee.

MickyD

Pasoti Donor
Dec 30, 2004
Brighton
Quinny":n935g4yb said:
From what I've briefly seen around the tax returns, I suspect that there's probably very little there which he can be hanged on: he's probably got lots of good accountants to do lots of close-to-the-wind-but-within-the-law tax avoidance, but nothing out and out illegal. It would probably be enough to damage any Presidential campaign for anyone else in normal times ... but these aren't normal times.

But Ivanka - she could be in serious trouble. I'm sure the IRS would like to have a chat with her about taking pay as a consultant while on the payroll of the Trump company as an employee.
I'd like to think so, but if Trump does win another term (then becomes president for life, with family succession thereafter) there's no way that the Bill Barr DOJ will allow any investigation into Trump family members (or any of his "friends") to progress very far at all - not to mention that Trump will simply install an even more staunchly loyal hack as head of the IRS, just as he has with the USPS and so many other agencies.

MickyD

Pasoti Donor
Dec 30, 2004
Brighton
I suppose that all these revelations make the reasoning behind Trump's "It's no biggie/it'll go away soon/open everything up again" response to Covid all the clearer: his businesses are in property and hospitality, which have been hammered during the pandemic and must have lost far more this year even than in those tax returns, and he'll have been that much more desperate for income from those businesses than almost anyone had realised. That all makes perfect sense when one bears in mind that he doesn't give two hoots about the deaths of over 200,000 Americans and millions of job losses, just so long as he's OK and the economy looks just about good enough come November to get him reelected.

I've just seen a video of the reaction of one Trump supporter to the tax revelations: "I don't think it's a big deal, and we don't even know if it's real." Quelle surprise. I know it's only one person, so no kind of sample, but it's exactly what I was expecting. Still, there's the small matter of the first presidential debate tomorrow night, which presumably most of those weirdly still undecided voters will be watching...

MickyD

Pasoti Donor
Dec 30, 2004
Brighton
I was planning to stay up last night to watch the presidential debate live - well, thank the Lordy that I didn't. A few lowlights this morning were more than enough.

Echoing Winston Churchill's famous characterisation of wartime Russia as a riddle wrapped in a mystery inside an enigma, CNN's Jake Tapper had a distinctly Trump-era take on proceedings in describing the "debate" as a hot mess inside a dumpster fire inside a train wreck - while his colleague Dana Bash came right out and called it a sh1tshow!

I think we saw the thrashings of a truly desperate man last night - but how he imagined his utterly disgraceful performance would gain him a single extra vote, I really have no idea. Going by his refusal to condemn white supremacists and his exhortation to the Proud Boys to "stand back and stand by" it seems that his idea is to get the armed crazies mobilised on election day.

If Trump does win reelection I think that last night will be looked back on as the moment when he drove the final nail into the coffin of American democracy. Oh, but what am I saying? There are still weeks to go! Time for a good few more nails yet.

Jul 15, 2006
Kenton, Devon
I didn't watch it either, but reading the news when having my coffee this morning, the two main points were:

(a) Trump refusing to condemn white supremacy;
(b) It was the worst Presidential debate ever, and Wallace lost control. But I think this was Trump's game-plan from the outset: make it such a farce that he can't be challenged on his eff-ups over the last 4 years.

Oh, and I wager "Shut up man" will be on a billion t-shirts across the rest of the world by the end of the week. I'd buy one.

MickyD

Pasoti Donor
Dec 30, 2004
Brighton
Quinny":872xlzg4 said:
I didn't watch it either, but reading the news when having my coffee this morning, the two main points were:

(b) It was the worst Presidential debate ever, and Wallace lost control. But I think this was Trump's game-plan from the outset: make it such a farce that he can't be challenged on his eff-ups over the last 4 years.

Oh, and I wager "Shut up man" will be on a billion t-shirts across the rest of the world by the end of the week. I'd buy one.
Agreed to all of that. And the Proud Boys, apparently, already have sewn shoulder patches bearing the "Stand Back and Stand By" motto. Can't wait to see how all that turns out...

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
Lowey Sponsor
Pasoti Donor
Oct 31, 2010
All three men involved in the debate didn't come out of it very well.
Trump was just Trump, Biden stumbled a few times and Wallace didn't control the debate.

A waste of a good opportunity.

MickyD

Pasoti Donor
Dec 30, 2004
Brighton
I've just had a rather freaky experience. For no conscious reason I had a sudden urge to listen to David Bowie's Cygnet Committee from his Space Oddity album. Then I heard these lyrics again, and couldn't help but think of Trump, how he got to power, and where he's led his country while dragging the world down with it.

There's populist "disruptor" appeal, there's GOP manipulation and capitulation, there's "I can't stand him but he's been getting us exactly what we wanted," and there's "We won - suck it up, snowflakes," all in a few lines.

We had a friend, a talking man
Who spoke of many powers he had
Not of the best of men, but ours
We used him
We let him use his powers
We let him fill our needs
Now we are strong

Then, a few lines later, there's the destruction of the very foundations of American government and society, and there's social media.

We broke the ruptured structure built of age
Our weapons were the tongues of crying rage

Spooky - but also, it just goes to show that we've seen it all before, and it never ends well.

Apr 15, 2004
East Devon
MickyD":1221u672 said:
Quinny":1221u672 said:

Agreed to all of that. And the Proud Boys, apparently, already have sewn shoulder patches bearing the "Stand Back and Stand By" motto. Can't wait to see how all that turns out...
...and they got a Presidential invite to "watch the polling very closely" - I guess that means they'll be helping little old ladies and the disabled to get to the polling station so they can vote. Bless 'em.

Dec 27, 2004
Bidford on Avon
Kentishgreen":11sjfgf8 said:
Anyone seen No Country For Old Men?

It'll soon be no country for anyone.

Never in my lifetime have I seen a democratically elected leader who actively promotes division and mistrust, purely for their own benefit.

He would literally rather reduce the country to rubble to try and enhance his own electoral prospects. No attempt to try and be the solution rather than the problem for the American people.

It's not a Democrat, Republican thing at all. It's a human vs sociopath thing :facepalm: