• Total voters

Mark Pedlar

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jul 28, 2010
It’s on the same English Channel as Plymouth which is part of the Atlantic Ocean. Even Janners know that. 😁
Nope. English Channel is generally accepted by seafarers to start at the narrows between Cherbourg and Portland, hence the "channel". Always happy to educate Cockernees.

• Haha
Reactions: IJN

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
Nope. English Channel is generally accepted by seafarers to start at the narrows between Cherbourg and Portland, hence the "channel". Always happy to educate Cockernees.
Even if you’re correct, Plymouth is on the same English Channel as Brighton.

As for the attempt at personal abuse, I will let that go because I realise that mods are allowed to get away with that sort of stuff on here.

Granby Green

♣️ Senior Greens
Mar 16, 2018
Possibly a case of different people,different perceptions. I worked in the Dockyard from 1965 to 1986. Probably Dockyard workers and their families and friends tended to use Dockyard Derby whereas the Naval personnel would probably use Battle of the Ports.

Doyley43

✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Jun 21, 2006
SOUTH HAMS
It's modern light hearted parlance though.

For example when Liverpool play Everton this season I'm sure some wags will term it The Benitez Derby, Forest v Derby is often called the Brian Clough Derby and only a few hours ago someone said 'Lindgaard Derby' when West Ham played Man Utd.

Me? I've always liked the Dockyard Derby as the link is obvious, there's a lot of ports (Dover v Falmouth) and every game we play against them seems to be played like a derby.

It's all about opinions though.

View attachment 472
I was at Earls court 83 and this picture takes me back. I was a member of the Battery staff and Devonport broke the record and won easily

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
Even if you’re correct, Plymouth is on the same English Channel as Brighton.

As for the attempt at personal abuse, I will let that go because I realise that mods are allowed to get away with that sort of stuff on here.
Only Cockernees to be fair Paul.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
You’re not Paul, you’re a Cockernee!

Someone who has an affiliation with our Capital City. The clue is in your username.

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
You’re not Paul, you’re a Cockernee!

Someone who has an affiliation with our Capital City. The clue is in your username.
Is that how the south-west sees people from our capital? If I come across as cocky then I apologise.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
Paul, a Cockernee is an endearing term used instead of Cockney.

Stop being a tart, treacle.