Disabled Parking | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Disabled Parking

Aug 18, 2009
Plympton
My brother who is registered disabled and has had a pass for disabled parking in the Central Park car park last season has now been told that it will cost £100 to have the same again. On top of purchasing 4 season tickets, this sounds harsh when there is no alternative to parking close to Argyle and possibly illegal and certainly unethical?

ArgyleOfficial

Plymouth Argyle Football Club
May 13, 2020
Hi,

Last season we offered spaces in the park and ride free to a limited number of disabled supporters. This season the club has invested heavily into parking to reduce our reliance on the park and ride and thus making more spaces available to match day users. Something we know was a frustration for supporters last season.

As our on site parking capacity has increased, we felt again we could offer a limited number of bays to disabled supporters to reserve. The changes have resulted in us also ensuring that in addition to the disabled spaces being offered by the club there is also a circa 20 disabled bays in the park and ride, making us more accessible.

We asked any disabled supporters who wished to reserve one of our spaces to fill out a form which was created with the help of PADSA. The form does advise that the space may be chargeable.

If you do not wish to pay to reserve a space then you have the option to park in one of the disabled bays in the park and ride instead, however this would be unreserved. The charge covers the costs (£5 per game) for us to reserve and steward the space which we think is reasonable.

CK

Reactions: David Doidge
Mar 17, 2022
East of the tamar
Think it is reasonable never understand why PCC provide free parking at Home Park , £5 for match day would be roughly the same as other clubs and generate much needed money for PCC, but as I don’t use it not best to judge

bigalf

R.I.P
Dec 13, 2005
Keyham
How many registered disabled season ticket holders does the Club have?
Is there a register? That is obviously where I have been going wrong. Will my season ticket not be valid now? A steward in a dinner jacket saying ‘if your names not down, you ain’t coming in’

• Haha
Reactions: David Doidge

ArgyleOfficial

Plymouth Argyle Football Club
May 13, 2020
The same person that posts under ArgyleOfficial.

I would think they are in a position to know as they probably have to draw up a PEEP for disabled customers. If you don’t know how many people you are talking about and what their disabilities are then how do you know your evacuation plan is going to be effective.

I am making an assumption that Argyle do have a PEEP for its disabled customers. If they don’t then maybe they should have one.
Yes, of course we know that information.

Are we going to share it on a public internet forum….no.

Also, not sure how it’s relevant to parking?
CK

May 8, 2011
There are disable parking spaces by the Life Centre, just need to display your blue badge.
Think it is reasonable never understand why PCC provide free parking at Home Park , £5 for match day would be roughly the same as other clubs and generate much needed money for PCC, but as I don’t use it not best to judge
There used to be a charge to park in the car park, it was stopped because it cost more to collect than the money taken. Also it was made free to encourage people to use it rather than park in the surrounding streets.
Now it is a P@R car park if the Council were to charge on match days it would have to stop being a P&R car park on match days.

Adam

Pasoti Designer
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 5, 2010
I think it's more to the point that, whilst the Club does know that information, they do not have any need or wish to share it with you (and rightly so).

I'm not 100% sure, but I'd imagine it may even be a GDPR break to release information such as this.

Adam

Pasoti Designer
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 5, 2010
I’m 99.9% sure that it doesn’t breach GDPR. Naming people, their disability, their carer details etc definitely is but I wasn’t asking that.

Like I say, but of an over reaction imo.

Since my post, I've done a little research and I believe you're right about the GDPR point, so I stand (happily) corrected there, thank you.

But, I have to disagree, I don't think it's an overreaction at all.

Bottom line...It's just not one of those questions that is suitable to ask in this day and age - likewise it is not suitable to ask an Official from the Club to share that information on a public messaging board. I would assume Argyle may have a duty to protect their fans, and this might fall into that bracket, who knows?

You are correct that knowing your demographic is important, but in this instance, it is the demographic for the Club to be aware of, not you. I'm sure Argyle may have an idea about the number of fans who may need assistance (for a variety of reasons) and I'm sure the Club also does its very best to support these fans too. Just because they do not wish to share the details, doesn't necessarily mean that they do not know at all.

Over the recent years, the Club has become a very well-run organisation, and yes this is due to the support (both financially and otherwise from the Hallets) but also from the people that work within the Club, who also do an incredibly important job at making sure that Matchdays run smoothly for all supporters, no matter what needs or requirements that they have. From speaking to friends who attend Home Park regularly, they have spoken highly of the Supporters Liason Officer (whose name escapes me right now) and the extra effort that went into making sure that they felt safe and comfortable at the match.

Ultimately, the Club isn't going to get every decision correct, and perhaps the question from the initial post in this thread is evidence of that. However, how many other clubs have employees that visit Fan Forums to engage with the supporters as clearly and quickly as Jamie and his team do? Do we really want to scare them away by asking questions such as these?

Asking questions such as 'How many disabled fans do the Club have?' isn't something that needs to be asked nor is it something that needs to be shared.

Admittedly, I don't usually engage in arguments/confrontation/whatever this is on here (or in real life!) - I prefer to just provide content for the Pasoti Peeps, doing the Wordle, iCal, Kit Designs etc - but I did feel I had to say something on this topic, as it is one that is very personal to me - and because of that, maybe that's why I've written such a long-winded and boring post! Apologies!

Mar 17, 2022
East of the tamar
I agree with Adam the numbers and percentages of disabled or ambulant season ticket holders makes absolutely no difference to us as fans, the club have legal obligations to which they more than meet and lead the way with their disabled fan liaison officers etc. we as fans are blessed that the club provide these facilities as most don’t!

well done Christian et al.

justanotherfan

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🍌 Bomber Harris.
🚑 Steve Hooper
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 4, 2012
Plymouth

A little late for that don`t you think?

Mar 12, 2011
Plymouth
My brother who is registered disabled and has had a pass for disabled parking in the Central Park car park last season has now been told that it will cost £100 to have the same again. On top of purchasing 4 season tickets, this sounds harsh when there is no alternative to parking close to Argyle and possibly illegal and certainly unethical
Hi,

Last season we offered spaces in the park and ride free to a limited number of disabled supporters. This season the club has invested heavily into parking to reduce our reliance on the park and ride and thus making more spaces available to match day users. Something we know was a frustration for supporters last season.

As our on site parking capacity has increased, we felt again we could offer a limited number of bays to disabled supporters to reserve. The changes have resulted in us also ensuring that in addition to the disabled spaces being offered by the club there is also a circa 20 disabled bays in the park and ride, making us more accessible.

We asked any disabled supporters who wished to reserve one of our spaces to fill out a form which was created with the help of PADSA. The form does advise that the space may be chargeable.

If you do not wish to pay to reserve a space then you have the option to park in one of the disabled bays in the park and ride instead, however this would be unreserved. The charge covers the costs (£5 per game) for us to reserve and steward the space which we think is reasonable.

CK